Painting Painted ponies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting Painted ponies

I am a painter with average skills and I am looking for help in painting wood elf horses. I want to paint them like painted ponies, Indian horses, or whatever they are called. If someone knows the proper name for these horses I would love to know it. I started off with chaos black primer and have coated them all in charadon granite, but I am unsure where to go from here. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

By the Silver Sword! Stormchaser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x3)

I'm not an expert on American Indians, but I have seen Dances with Wolves

American Indian Pony: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/SSB/im...rail/horse.jpg

Best pic I can find of the Horse's warpaint: http://www.dunlightstudio.com/warpon...mposite_sm.jpg

Hope that helps some
    Codex: Legion Astartes - I am in need of Beta/proof readers and play testers
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as a FYI, "American Indian" horse isn't a breed of horse, it's just any Spanish horse that was adapted for use by the natives. So you have a very, very broad color range. OP, if you have any photos of a particular horse you'd like to emulate, I'd just recommend using them as source material. Sorry that I don't have more specific advice, but using a source for real-life material is often your best bet!

~sky

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Im not sure what the breed is but the terms for the markings are piebald and skewbald i think!

Do a google image search and you should find some paintings for inspiration
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

specifically piebald and skewbald refers to the colours involved, generally both would be described as "coloured" horses, but I thinkwhat you need to master is the art of painting dappled horses, from there you can do anything
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    specifically piebald and skewbald refers to the colours involved, generally both would be described as "coloured" horses, but I thinkwhat you need to master is the art of painting dappled horses, from there you can do anything
    Ah that makes sense, black and white and brown and white respectively? i thought they were called pallomino, but i did a search and it turns out they are completely different again!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

palimino is a breed,
    Piebald and skewballed are colours (like grey, dun, black, chestnut, bay)
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking of horses that look like:

Anyone know a good way to get the horses to turn out this way? There is little to no detail on GW harses so how does one get it to look like it is not a flat surface?
    Thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

There is a thread in the painting forum I can recommend to look at. All credits go to Mousekiller!!! I have painted nothing of the following... :cry:

Look at the cow, the whole mini is WIP.

Cow Body (RMS): Shadow Grey (CP), Ghost White, 50:50, Leather White, 50:50, Linen White
    Cow Spots (RPP): Dragon Black
    Cow Skin (CP): Dark Flesh, Tanned Flesh, 50:50, Tentacle Pink, 50:50, White

If you want to see more and I think so... Click! Mousekiller's BIG WIPs

I would recommend to send him a PM if you have any questions, as far as I can tell he is a veeery friendly guy that will hopefully not be angry that I used his pics and tell other people to contact him...

+ Reply to Thread