How did this guy do his tau battle effects?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did this guy do his tau battle effects??

Hi all

First off sorry if this has been posted before (the word 'tau' is too small for the search function). This army has got to be the coolest thing ever:

GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Tau : Hunter Cadre

Can anyone help me work out how this guy painted this army? In particular how did the battle damage effects get done? The rust, scrapped off paint, metal coming through look as well as the general battle worn effect looks great. They work really well on the battle suits (which i find too 'clean' for my idea of 40k). Im thinking of following his general idea but replacing the tan colour with grey/blue for a cityfight themed tau army, but really utilising his battle effects.

Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple stuff: Base coa black and when you paint everything up and get to weathering, scratch some areas with you X-Acto knife. Also for like the pirhana, take a soft small brush put very little black on it and press down at the beginning and go back, pulling up to make a triangular looking burn mark. Good luck with your painting/converting/scratching!
    http://brunsvillegame.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    Rep people if they help you!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Another way to do it is to paint small scratches with a dark colour onto the model. Then using an even darker colour paint a very thin line on the top of the scratch, and using a lighter colour paint a thin line on the bottom of the scratch.This will give your scratches a 3D look. It is quite an advanced method though so make sure you use a test mini and practice before you try. As for the rust it looks like a couple of glazes of a dark red/brown in the areas that he wanted.

An easier way to paint the scratches would be to use a sponge. Once you have your model painted get an old sponge and dip a corner into a darker colour, then slightly dap the sponge on the mini. It will give irregular patterns to your battledamage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I use mine on battlefields accross the galaxy for millenia..

oh right, no what the others said, also look at stippling and drybrushing to give weathering on vehicles and suits
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

You can see some good close-ups of his work in WD 319. It looks like he used a lot of the weathering techniques many people use on their tanks and like in WD 326 or the How to Paint Space marines guide, base a scratch black then add boltgun and chainmail inside it.

Great stuff, but a little too battle damaged for my tastes, his electric-blue glow is amazing as well.
    :ninja:
    www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

+ Reply to Thread