Suggestions for Necron Paint Scheme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions for Necron Paint Scheme

Hey guys,

Im new to warhammer 40k but i got a pretty basic necron army. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what they think would look cool. I kinda want to do something different than the traditional pure metallic look, but im not that good at painting so it cant be too ridiculous. Thanks for your help!!

SPRAWL!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by tklaus View Post
    Hey guys,

Im new to warhammer 40k but i got a pretty basic necron army. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what they think would look cool. I kinda want to do something different than the traditional pure metallic look, but im not that good at painting so it cant be too ridiculous. Thanks for your help!!
    a cool thing I have been experimenting with metal is first painting it boltgun metal, then highlighting with mithral silver, and finally doing highlighting with burnished gold. Then giving the whole thing a watered down chesnut ink wash.:yes: Wait! do you want no metal at all, or just a non traditional metal?
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I spent a lot of time thinking about how to paint my crons, which I'm working on right now, along with reading about how others do it. I'm afraid if you're looking for "fast and easy," I don't think you'll get away with avoiding metallics. There are, for the most part, two widely-accepted techniques: The first involves painting on the "rust" first, such as dark flesh, all over the model, then stippling on orange. Next, do a heavy drybrush of your metal of choice, in this case, mithril silver or boltgun metal. All that leaves are the details like the eyes, chest plate, and details on the guns.

The other, which I use, involves painting metal all over the model first, then using inks to "rust" it up. Either way gives you a nice weathered metal look.

If you hate metal, the only other way I've seen it done is the "ceramoid" look, where much of the model is done with a solid color, then usually covered with a gloss finish, making it look like it's made out of ceramic plating. You still might find yourself wanting to paint certain parts in metallics, or using more than one solid color. Either way, I think it's gonna take more time and work. Part of the reason I didn't choose it.

Otherwise, check the codex. Lotsa kewl ideas in there to get you started.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post

If you hate metal, the only other way I've seen it done is the "ceramoid" look
    You can also achieve a similar effect by painting the necron a color and then doing a pure ink wash.
    (example: paint entire necron red, then slather it in red ink. let it dry and then go back and put details.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was kinda thinking about the ceramoid look, but i was also considering having a metal body, but like the shoulder pads and maybe head painted a solid color that is not metallic. I guess i kinda need to think of some fluff for my army too. i was maybe thinkin of having like an ice camouflage for an arctic environment. could i the varnish to make it look kinda metallic if i used a non metallic paint?
    SPRAWL!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh kinda off topic but how far is evanston from peoria or the champaign urbana area? i kinda like your idea about the ink over the solid, but would i leave like the ribs and stuff black? the ink would probably get inside that though...
    SPRAWL!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by tklaus View Post
    oh kinda off topic but how far is evanston from peoria or the champaign urbana area?
    3 hours drive. unless i screwed up checking on mapquest...

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Here's the deal- you can paint them any colour you like. Space Marines are all issued the same armour but just paint it different. In a similar way, some necrons had the final layer of moisture-resistant sealant applied in different shades depending on the local availability. If you're turning a while race into robots you don't want to be travelling too far for parts, see?

Bearing this in mind, choose any colour you like and paint them like marines of the same colour (I know there's an easy dry-brush technique for marines that will be even better for necrons- I think it's stickied). To make them more necrony then paint the non-armoured bits (lower legs/wrists/spine etc) in a silver colour. Try to avoid painting the shoulder pads different colours to the rest of the armour- it always looks a little out of place.

If you do go for a metallic colour scheme then silver is really easy to get good results (without going much further than dry-brushing). Get a big brush. Like this-

Drybrush boltgun over a black spray- go for a heavy drybrush, leaving black only in the deepest recesses. Give the whole figure a wash of blue/black/brown inks mixed together with water- about 4/1/4/10 in ratio but whatever works for you. When that's dry give the whole figure a light drybrush of chainmail, followed by an even lighter one of mithril. Varying the wash will alter the final hue of the metal.

These ones were done with this technique.

Easy.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well for my first Army which was necrons, i painted them Hawk Turquoise and boltgun metal
    I painted all the "larger" parts blue, so you have the foot then the shinpads then above the knees all done in blue and the parts in between done in boltgun, same with the arms, hand fore arm, above elbow and the shoulder pads down in blue and the rest in boltgun.

The results turned out really well for my necrons at the time.
    Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post

Drybrush boltgun over a black spray- go for a heavy drybrush, leaving black only in the deepest recesses. Give the whole figure a wash of blue/black/brown inks mixed together with water- about 4/1/4/10 in ratio but whatever works for you. When that's dry give the whole figure a light drybrush of chainmail, followed by an even lighter one of mithril. Varying the wash will alter the final hue of the metal.

Easy.
    He speaks the truth. If you don't like the classic "terminator"-inspired look, you can still use Monkey's technique. Try the following:

1) Spray with a different color, say, brown, or a "rust" color (You'd have to look outside Citadel ranges for that in a spray though), or even a primary color like blue, red, green. You'd be surprised how that will change the final result, OR...

2) Use another set of metals. Don't like chrome? Use tin bitz or brazen braas on the drybrush instead of boltgun, then highlight with shining gold instead of chainmail. I almost tried this, but I found the gold look was a little too "C-3PO" for my tastes, but I'm sure it would look good, OR...

3) Use Monkey's colors, but mix the boltgun with something first before drybrushing. Any primary color, blue, green, red, even yellow might add an interesting "tint," but if done right the paint will still retain that metallic look. I wound up doing this with chaos black on the guns, OR...

4) Do a combination of the above! Go nuts!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast