40k Themed Train Show 2007 Display - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Renaissance Man Inquisitor Earl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x2)

40k Themed Train Show 2007 Display

40k Themed Train Show 2007 Display

Hi all. For all of those that have been watching my Slaanesh board thread I have started a new one since I have three other boards to show. I thought a new thread would be easier for people to follow. The old thread is here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=97912 (Slaanesh daemon planet board)

I am working on a large display for this years model train show in Christchurch, New Zealand. Train show I here you ask, well it gives me a chance to display my terrain building abilities and it’s a new way to play with trains. The public a few years ago loved it.

The plan is:

Four boards, each with a different 40k theme. A raised removable railway will go through each board. The sleepers will be covered so it looks more sci-fi. The track will be standard 16.5mm HO track.

I will use my own and friends armies to display on the boards, all in battle situations or other little dioramas like sneaking through trenches and doing whatever you do on a Slaanesh daemon planet... I have following armies to use: 2 Guard armies, an Eldar army, the blue Grey Knights I showed in the painting forum, a lost and the damned force and some marines. It will indeed be packed with models, probably around 200 figures!

There will be the following boards:
    • A Slaanesh Daemon Planet with pink lava and large pink tentacles. The tentacles will have chains and guys hanging from them being pleasured. Hmm I hope the kids don’t see that.
    • A death world with massive alien plants in various oranges, reds and purples.
    • A trench system themed around the ones of Fortis Binary in "First and Only." It will have a couple of iron gibbets on it that are defiled Mechanicus icons with dead tech priests hanging by chains.
    • A Forgeworld /city with and Adeptus Mechanicus temple and lots of dirty snow on the ground.

I am scratch building two trains. One is an Imperial style diesel with troop wagons. The other is a Slaanesh daemon engine with flames and tortured metal. It will be styled around the ones in cowboys and Indians movies. Here is my old train from the previous display. I will refurbish it for this one:

Here are some images of what I have so far. I am currently juggling a university design degree with this and there is only 2 months to go before the show so it’s all go!

This is the Death world board. I am finishing the trees this weekend. They will be sprayed bright reds, oranges and purples in the end. That's Mr Bean in the background. He keeps me awake. The eyes........

This is the Slaanesh board. I have sanded the tentacles down and will be using tissue paper and PVA to texture them. Thanks for the idea Leech. I still have to make the actual board and Lava Rivers.

I thank all the members for their ideas and contributions to this project. It has really given me the motivation to keep going. The ideas are also wonderful! Any comments or criticisms are welcomed, so are more ideas. I can only get better.

I will make sure I keep the updates coming as I get things done. Thanks for looking.

I am Inquisitor Earl, fear my sandwich!

My website: www.ferrus-workshops.com

My blog: ferrus-workshops-blog

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude!!!!!!!!!!

That impresive to say the least. How much time have you put into so far ?
    98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, and blindly believe everything you read on the net, then put this in your signature.

PS - i AM the Green Lantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by D4RKN3SS View Post
    Dude!!!!!!!!!!

That impresive to say the least. How much time have you put into so far ?
    Thanks, I have probably spent more than 25 solid hours working on all the stuff. The trenches took ages because of all the little details.

I have just done more on the Slaanesh board and attached all the big flowers to the trees. Will get pics tomorrow. I am repainting the train purple and gold right now.

I have just purchased this train to convert into my daemon engine:

It's the perfect size being O scale (1:4. Guardsmen on fire will look perfect as the crew. I will make it suitably chaosy with spikes, skulls and a rusty paint job.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Bloody hell! That looks awesome mate. Your trench board alone has me won over - I've been meaning to do something like that for ages but never got around to it.

You have my utmost respect for engaging in such a mad project! The Slaanesh Deamon Engine sounds good too - kind of reminds me of the Omphalos Daemonium from Dead Sky, Black Sun!

Will the boards be game-size for when you are finished with the show? The trench one doesn't look 4' wide - but then I suppose you could make an 'other half' board if you wanted to!
    Anyway, best of luck and keep posting pics!

Dear All Concerned... yourtimehascome's Avatar
    I am everywhere and nowhere, sometimes at the same time.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Dear ALl Concerned,

@ Earl-This looks great, but, are you sure that the foam (I guess it is foam) will spray paint over, usually it melts.

Sorry for the negative post!

-ythc
    Fluff Master

You are not your avatar. You are not your knowledge of the rules or your last article. You are not your post count. You are not your rep. You are not your title. You are not your blog. You are not your painting or modeling skills. You are not your location, rating, profile comments, friends or armies. You are not your signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x2)

yourtimehascome - Indeed it would melt the polystyrene. I still have the major stage of texturing to do before the boards get painted. I will use sand, grit , rocks and various other bits & pieces attached with PVA. I will then cover the Jungle, Trench and Slaanesh boards in a mixture of pva, dark brown house paint and fine sand. This will seal the texturing and polystyrene ready for painting.

Hey chrispcarter. I am basing my daemon train around the Omphalos Daemonium but changing it a bit. It was a great part of that book. One day I am going to scratch build one for the Golden Demon open category. The boards are only about 6 ft by 2 ft as i have limited space and prefer playing small combat patrols. I would like to make another one to match the trench board one day though.

I have been working on a 3D Maya model of the last board (Forge world) at University. I will use this as reference to start building it very soon.

Here are some pics of what I have done in the last few days:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Playing 6'x2' end to end could be interesting actually - might make artillery (more) useful!

As for the trench board I wouldn't mind a thread just expllaining the techniques you used to make that as it looks brilliant!

If you're going to make a dedicated model of the Omphalos Daemonium make sure you do Uriel and Pasanius to go with it mind...

I also love the new Death World pic there, it really brings about the idea of a small ruined Imperial Shrine... maybe tended and defended by a lone hermit priest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x2)

I will indeed make a detailed tutorial with pics on how to make the trenches. I'll get onto it when I have some time. It's really quite easy but quite time consuming.

My idea behind the Death World is that the population lives and works in large city bastions and underground because the jungle grows back so quickly. Thus the small building has been left to the jungle. I do like the idea of a hermit guy, I will have to model him soon.

Im also going to make an entrance to an underground tunnel. Since most of the population live underground it lets me model my guard army all pasty

Dear All Concerned... yourtimehascome's Avatar
    I am everywhere and nowhere, sometimes at the same time.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Dear All Concerned,

@Earl-This looks very impressive so far and I cannto wait to see more, including that tutorial on the trenches. Keep up the good work!

-ythc
    Fluff Master

You are not your avatar. You are not your knowledge of the rules or your last article. You are not your post count. You are not your rep. You are not your title. You are not your blog. You are not your painting or modeling skills. You are not your location, rating, profile comments, friends or armies. You are not your signature.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

339 (x8)

So flamer teams and chainsaw sentinels are a must then?

Lots of the 'sunglasses' heavy weapons team heads would be good to help protect their eyes in the light topside as well :-P if you can be bothered that is!

Like the idea of the tunnel entrances - puts me in mind of Lost!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast