Painting/modeling bases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting/modeling bases

Hey, this isn't my first actual post here, I used to have an account a couple years ago but stopped playing 40k due to a lack of players.

Well I just found like three new people who play a lot, and I'm probably going to get back into 40k.

That said, I was just wondering what you guys thought of unpainted/modeled bases? Like my minis are all painted themselves, and I put a decent amount of time into them, and they're painted like you'd expect, all my Marines match etc. etc., I have red helmets for squad leaders and all that.

But I never painted my bases or put sand or static grass or anything like that on them. I just don't like the way it looks, since it may not always match the board. Basically I leave every base for every model I have unpainted. They're by no means messy... it's not like there's blotches of paint on them, but they're very plain.

I'm just wondering if leaving the bases unpainted is a bad thing? Like if you went to your local hobby shop on game night and played against an army that had unpainted bases, would it bother you?

The reason why I'm asking is because I was reading up on a campaign idea on the GW site, and it said "painted miniatures only." I agree that to play you should have your minis painted, but what about bases? Does it bother you and is it required for tournaments at GW stores/other hobby shops and all that?

Oh, and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section... I'm not sure what bases fall into.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

While I wouldn't mind as such, I think that basing is a crucial part of any model. A good base can make an average-painted model look great, and a bad or non-existant base can ruin a decent model, IMO.

'Plain' bases to be look unfinished, and bug me much more than (for example) using my snow-based Marines on a Desert themed board.

Basing is not only part of making a model look 'finished', but can really contribute to the feel and mood of a model. Integrating the model's pose with the terrain it is on, considering the weather, surroundings etc can all really, really help a model, and make 'telling the story' much easier.

As far as official GW stuff goes, painted = 3 colours minimum, and based (even if it's just sand).

I thoroughly encourage you to try basing your army, even if you just use inked sand.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Well, there's no "harm" in not liking painted bases. It will however lose you points in a competition. (as -t has stated) Not finished takes something close to 6 points right from the top(ugh).

Basing, however is an element of any army that can tie it all together. Take eldar for instance, several different color schemes from aspect warriors, and even marines, can have slightly different color schemes between vets to grunts to XXX.
    Basing can be used as the unifying aspect to make it all look like its a part of the same army and I would strongly encourage you to pick a simple basing system(gravel, grass, whatever) and put it all on there, it will really go a long way to tie it all together.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

I think youd be hard pressed to find a GW store that would turn you down because of unpainted bases. Models i can see, but bases not so much. My local store lets you play with just primed guys...Although they do complain about it, and if they dont get painted eventually they get pissy... But i do enjoy the painting aspect, so i guess they expect me to do it. At tournies it might be tough, but i would just paint on a layer of black, and then just say "look there on a black moon planet"...Ive seen people do it, and it worked out for them, so why not you. All you really need is a color, you dont even need to put sand on.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

As others have said, it's nothing major when it comes to playing in sanctioned tournaments, but good bases really do make all the difference IMHO. A well designed base establishes the mood and feel of the squad and provides something of an 'extension' of your particular theme beyond that of the model. Well painted and designed bases can literally make a model appear as though it's in another reality. Here's an example:

Albeit, this last model wasn't completed in the first image, but I think the point still stands.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I appreciate the info. I guess I have weird tastes, like in terms of Rabbit's models for example, while the bases (along with everything) look amazing, I can't help but think that the minis in the first picture are the best looking, because they don't have anything special going on with the base.

I suppose I'll try some sand eventually. I'm going to ask my friends if they want to make a gaming table, and depending on it's theme, maybe I'll paint my bases to go along with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gywo copta View Post
    But I never painted my bases or put sand or static grass or anything like that on them. I just don't like the way it looks, since it may not always match the board. Basically I leave every base for every model I have unpainted.
    But you are happy for them to not match ANY board?

Like others have said, it's not a major issue if you aren't into it, but it can enhance the models and unify them.

I loath basing an entire army, but sometimes I find basing even more fun than painting. Give it a go, you may get surprised by yourself.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

+ Reply to Thread