How to paint bases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

How to paint bases

Hi, this seems like a really stupid question but I can't find anything. I recently bought some gravel to use on my bases, but I have no idea how to paint it. Can anyone help?

If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

catbarf, gravel is very easy to paint.

1- super glue it to the base.

2- prime the base

3- dry brush the gravel with a dark hue

4- dry brush the gravel with a lighter brush stroke, using a lighter hue of the same color

5- dry brush the gravel, only touching the most raised portions of the gravel, with an even lighter color.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

S-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Rabbit has pretty much got it. But, instead of 3, I usually just give it a brown (chestnut?) wash. It's faster, and tends to look better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

There are lots and lots of ways to paint your bases, and it's down to personal preference really ^_^

I know a lot of people do it last, by gluing the sand down and then inking it (normally with a dark/brown ink). This is quick and simple, but fairly restrictive as far as everything is going to look fairly similar.
    Spice it up a bit with some lumps of static grass, scatter foliage etc etc.

I personally like to base my models before I have done any other painting.
    I glue the sand down before priming, so that it has another coat of protection, and (hopefully) won't rub off easily.
    Assuming I've primed black, I give it fairly heavy drybrushes in:
    Scorched Brown, Kommando Kharki, Bleached Bone. This ends up looking quite brown and desert-y, so what I then do (if I want a greener base) is give it a wash of Catachan Green, then a wash of Dark Angels Green. This looks much healthier. I then paint the rest of the model, before gluing down a few patches of static grass.

What I'm trying to say is that you can either work down into plain sand using inks, or you can treat it like any other piece of the model, and prime and paint it using normal (and appllicable) techniques.

/blabber.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

My first real "experiment" with painting bases worked out well. I glued down a sand/gravel combo, basecoated in Dark Flesh, then highlighted with Bleached Bone, with a touch of Dark Flesh mixed in. Two steps, and it made for a nice "Martian" look. I'm stunned how easy it was, and how well it turned out.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Senior Member Giant Mutant Chaos Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick brown drybrushing should do the trick
    Good Post? Do Rep!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
    Pft, what a weenie. Hell, tell him that the next time you see him. Tell him that Katie Drake called him a weenie!

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Painting bases is almost exactly like how you do the flock. PVA glue - dig in material - shake excess and leave to dry. Except I have one extra step here; because you'll be drybrushing there is a chance you'll tear up some of the basing material. So, to counter this, when the base is dry you should give it a very, very watered wash of PVA glue (will look like milky water). This will seal the material and help stop the accidental tearing of bits off.

As you have seen, there are many ways you can paint them. You'll be drybrushing as it's the best way of doing them. I would say it depends upon the army colours. You can have it so that it compliments your miniatures or even help to contrast them. For instance, my own army have a sandy look to them and so I went for a desert base to affirm their origins. But you should have a brightly painted miniature and base it on a dark base - this would draw the attention more towards the miniature.

I won't give "how to paint" the base, mainly because there are an infinite ways to do so and it'll require a bit of thought and perhaps a bit of testing to see what way suits you the best.

KU

+ Reply to Thread