Bases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bases

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

397 (x6)

I am not a very good painter. I have two 1000 point armies (Tau and Space Marines) painted with a base coat and a maximum of two coats of paint on top and no highlights. They are also not based. I am planning on starting a new army (Empire) and I want to use it as a way to improve my painting. The first thing I want to work on are my bases. To that end, I have a question.

Can anyone tell me how the bases in the link below were done?

I know there is some sand/gravel and static grass involved. I was hoping to learn what colors were most likely used, in what order, and anything else anyone wants to share.

2. Remove Advertisements

1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

979 (x8)

I would say they were probably created thus (or if not exactly thus, then you will get a very similar result by doing this):
    • Glue sand/gravel (GW does a pot that has a mixture of sand and small stones) down to each base, before priming. To do this, paint the base with 50/50 White Glue (PVA) and water, then dip it into the container of sand.
    • When the glue is dryish, seal the sand with another coat of PVA/water, but mix it about 30/70 this time.
    • When that is dry, prime as normal (I'm assuming you're priming black).
    • Heavily drybrush all your bases Scorched Brown.
    • Drybrush Graveyard Earth.
    • Lightly drybrush Bleached Bone.
    • Paint the rest of the model normally.
    • Put little dabs of superglue down where you want your static grass to be.
    • Scatter static grass over the glue, shake off excess, then get most of the grass pointing up by gently blowing up from underneath.
    • Finally, paint the rim of the base in your preffered brown (I use scorched brown for mine).

That should do ya =)

minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

+ Reply to Thread