How would you model sonic blasters? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you model sonic blasters?

Well how would you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

It's funny you bring this up, as I was thinking the exact same thing at the moment;

Anyway; I'd go for the Heavy bolters from the Chaos sprue. Clip of the barrel, do not glue the ammo belt on. Use one or two guitar wires for cables. I just need to figure out what bit i'm going to use as barrel for the weapon.

You could go for the daemonic head/speaker thing which comes with the vehicle sprue. Add a wire here and there from the back to the gun. Or even make it fit w/ some green stuff.

Alternatively; you could just bitsorder sonic blasters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea i was just looking at the sonic blasters but you cant order the second arm that attaches to the model just the gun itself

never mind i didnt realise that the same arm held all the weapons.
    Last edited by Patriots40001; September 2nd, 2007 at 09:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x2)

Heh... well, I reckon converting it would be a bit cheaper though. Some time ago (previous codex) I wanted to do a Slaanesh army and figured I wanted all sonic blasters. Given I had to bits order them, and they're quite expensive I almost ended up, paying an amount of money which could easily buy me an entire army.

I mean; somewhat between 40 and 50 sonic blasters costed at around 4 euro's each makes a lot of money. Luckily I snapped out of it in time when I got word the new dex wasn't going to have cult marines or something like that; not entirely true though, but lucky I didn't buy the whole lot.

But like I said, converting it out of a H. bolter (which are available in pretty large amounts for any Chaos player I guess) would be the cheap way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea thats what im probably gonna wind up doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x2)

I don't know how it's done concering tournies. Basically the rules state; everything which isn't available as a model is free to be modelled, but things that are available as "models" or bits in this case, should be the real deal.

At the moment I'm thinking a 10 man squad (9 blasters, 1 blastmaster), so it's not that much damage moneywise...

do post pictures when you've got yours done; surely would like to see how it looks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoschrist View Post
    I don't know how it's done concering tournies. Basically the rules state; everything which isn't available as a model is free to be modelled, but things that are available as "models" or bits in this case, should be the real deal.
    I really hate rules like that. One would hope that it's intended to discourage things like claiming that this guy has a plasma gun and this guy has a melta in a squad carrying 10 bolters just because you couldn't be bothered to actually bring a melta or plasma trooper.

Otherwise it just strikes me as "we're too lazy to actually take note of your conversions"... Or if it's an official GW event, a blatant cash grab by forcing you to buy their horribly overpriced bits!

Frankly, if I attended a tournament with an army full of noticeably different converted models (like these blasters) and they tried to claim they were illegal because bits exist, I would probably ask for a refund of any entry fees and leave. It's MY army, I'll build it my way!!
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Just to quickly butt in, if it's a GW own brand tournie/contest/event/whatever, they have no problems at all with using scratch-builts/convertions for anything that they already make, at least, that's as far as I've noticed.

As long as you stick to a GW base, and less than 20% non-GW bits, you are absolutely fine.

As far as sonic blasters go, you've got plenty of good suggestions.
    Otherwise, try searching the convertion forum and/or CoolMiniOrNot for some alternative ideas. That's what I always do when I need inspiration.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Renaissance Man Inquisitor Earl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Frankly, if I attended a tournament with an army full of noticeably different converted models (like these blasters) and they tried to claim they were illegal because bits exist, I would probably ask for a refund of any entry fees and leave. It's MY army, I,ll build it my way!!
    I totally agree with you there. The hobby is all about the fun of converting your own stuff so as long as you are using gw models as the basis you should be able to do anything with them.

I am actually making some sonic blasters out of various sizes of plasticard tubing, guitar wire and green stuff. im using things like bolters, guard grenade lauchers and flamers as a base shape. It takes a while but it makes them look unique.
    I am Inquisitor Earl, fear my sandwich!

My website: www.ferrus-workshops.com

My blog: ferrus-workshops-blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if your like me, and have LOADs of Tyranids bits lying around, make up some stranglewebs (back half of a devourer, frount half of a vemon cannon) and use those and say the sonic blast is a like a traped deomns scream or something.
    Alternativly, i think greenstuff to look like the weapons carryed by the geonosains in SW2:AotC would look cool
    'Nids-1500-Hive fleet Leech
    WH-1000-Ice Maidens Order

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast