Painting scales - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting scales

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting scales

Weel it's been a while since i posted here, and i thought now would be the best time after running into a spot of trouble with painting marines.

Basicaly I'm wanting to add a bit more detail to my existing Space Marine models, and after seeing a picture of the Dragon Warriors colour scheme in the new Chaos: Codex Space Marines, i thought that adding a scale pattern to my existing marines would be the ideal way to get the much needed extra detail.

Well basicaly i'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to go about painting a scale pattern onto Space Marine armour.

As it stands my colour scheme for them is Chaos Black for the armour drybrushed with Fortress Grey and with Blood Red on the helmet and trimming. I'm mainly wanting to add the scale effect to the Main of the armour, on like the legs and the shoulder pads.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Mutated by the Warp, we are outcasts, yet Space Marines we remain. We shall destroy our enemies, and we shall do so from the shadows where none shall see us coming. - Drizkan Incarus of the Shadow Dragons

Shadow Dragons Fluff
    Shadow Dragons Homeworld
    Siege of Draconis Prime

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Ok, quick(ish) and simple(ish) guide to painting (black) scales:
    ~ Paint the whole area dark grey (ie: 5/1 Black/Codex Grey mix)
    ~ Paint a grid of overlapping diamond shapes over the whole area (See below for example)
    ~ Paint the bottom 2 edges of each diamond pure codex grey (inside the diamond, and avoid going over the border where possible)
    ~ Paint one of the bottom edges fortress grey (again, inside the diamond, try not to go over the edges, and be consistent about which edge you do).

Example of scale pattern:
    Code:
    VVVVVVVVVVVV
     VVVVVVVVVVVV
    VVVVVVVVVVVV
     VVVVVVVVVVVV
    Ta da! Scales!

Simple huh? Well, obviously not that simple, but it's not too hard really. Practice on a flat surface if you're having problems, but it shouldn't be too hard once you've got the hang of it...

Good luck!
    -t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Thats pretty much how i would do it as well. Listen to minus t, he's a wise man. The trick with making flat scales is the "pop" effect. Make it so the scales all are highlighted in the same direction, and i would actually try to make it fairly extreme, so the scales look like their actually coming out. Another trick ive encountered, is paint from the bottom up, even though this might not matter if your an amazing painter, i have found that this is a good techinque for someone trying to paint something like this. The theory behind this is, that the scales will look as if they are realisticly overlapping each other. This is very evident in painting, where you see a background sort of "take over" a relatively nice portrait of someone, deminishing the effect.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

+ Reply to Thread