Librarium Online Forums banner

Plastic models and Brake fluids. doesn't work

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Onnotangu 
#1 ·
So after trolling many many forums and more post I had the impression that brake fluids work for disassembling plastic models and removing the paint in the process.

so I went out and bought a bottle of DOT4 brake fluid

my Tyranid warriors are in there for a week now, nearly submerged ( a tail sticking out but that's not going to make the difference )

and Still I have no result. one of the warriors has a white primer but it doesn't come off. I knew that it wouldn't go off completely but this is a bit depressing.

Any idea's on what I'm doing wrong ? or other suggestions

#4 ·
well the primer isn't the big issue it's just that I need them apart for Twin Linked devourer goodness.

nothing says I own these 18 inch then 12 reroll all shots

if you 're sure that dettol removes the superglue then I'm off the store in a jiffy

#5 · (Edited)
What you mean is that you need the pieces to come apart? I belive it will be quite difficult if they have been glued with poly cement, since that makes the plastic to melt together. I have on the other side never tried to use brake fluid to remove either paint nor parts, so I'm not sure...

#6 ·
my bad, i understood you needed to remove the paint.

Dettol does not break the bond between the plastic, cause that is melted together. there is no real way safe for cutting to get them apart.and i'm afraid that any product designed to remove superglue will eat away the plastic too;

#7 ·
In all my years of scale modelling I've never heard of using brake fluid to break plastic models down. Certainly to strip the paint off them, which is something I've done more times I care to remember.

For stripping paint off plastic, metal and resin kits an alternative to brake fluid is oven cleaner. While is is easier to dispose of, it's just as much of a health risk.

With both of these methods you will at some point need to "help" the paint along. Some of the above posters mentioned a toothpick. I like to use a hard tooth brush for such cases, and give it a good old scrub.

HTH
Tarok :C

#10 ·
i used super clean. that was when i was i a 40k slump, so i left them in for a few MONTHS. i shook them every once in a while. a quick rub of the finger got most/all paint off, but crevices, a toothbrush worked wonders. i think a week is sufficient, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.