Textured paints and gaming tables - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Textured paints and gaming tables

Has anyone tried using PlastiCote or similar textured paints to cover a gaming table?

I am starting to b uild one tomorrow, and was going to buy three pots of brown shades to high light the table with dry brushing a sandy layer. But I saw this paint to day - it's like roughcoat but in brown and sandy colours - and thoiught it looked like a great idea.

I thought about covering the board in sand, then spraying it with the textured paint and leaving to dry. That would basically be it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Textured Spray

I have had modest success with stone effect textured spray paint. I used it on mdf and plastic buildings to create a concrete effect which I then painted over with model spray paints and dry brushed.
    I can't remember the brand name, and it wasn't cheap - $20 Australian for a large spray can - but it was a pretty effective and quick way of texturing a broad surface. You can also cover a large area with what's in that can, so you get your money's worth.
    IIRC it comes in a small range of stone and concrete colours, and I found it in a hardware store in the paint section, near other 'special effect' spray paints (gold, chrome, marble effect, glitter etc).
    One warning though - practise on scrap first. I know that is more important for scenery than a big game table, but the spray is basically little bits of glop that harden, in a paint carrier. If the flow is too thick, you just get lumps and dribbles. If it is too thin or you let it dry before it hits the painted surface, you just get colour and dust. So if you buy some, experiment with it first. A game table is probably the best way to do that!
    cheers
    TOMB
    (My Blog)
    Zapp: You see the killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shut down.

+ Reply to Thread