hive tyrant with wings. what to use? among other ideas and questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hive tyrant with wings. what to use? among other ideas and questions

Alright so I've been using a hive tyrant since I started nids but I've never actually made a winged one. A lot of people have told me to use Dragon or Balrog wings. Some people have also suggested I use bloodthirster wings however I don't really want to buy a Bloodthirster.
    I was just wondering which wings would look better on a Tyrant. It will be the current hive tyrant unless i can find an old model (the old ones would suit my army a lot better).

Also I wanted to stay with the idea of 6 limbs. As I usually outfit my flyrants with 2 Tl devourers this could be a problem. I though that If I used the top set of sockets for the wings the the 2nd set for one set of devourers and then cut off the foot below the ankle. I would then cut the second set of devourers off just before the gun leaving a piece of I guess what you'd call the wrist so it could be joined. the devourers would then be attached to the two legs. I'm guessing that the leg will be a lot thicker than the "wrist" join so that would have to be fixed with green stuff. Now I have an idea of how that would look, The tyrant would have to be supported by a landspeeder base which will probably be glued to the original base of the tyrant, my major question is would it work. I don't want to make it and then have it break every time I use it.

Advice on this matter is greatly appreciated

Never broken, Never fallen, Courage out of fear.
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, personally I wouldn't go with the feet modification because I don't like the looks of it, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

What I would do is cut a couple of devourer heads (the half-conical part of the weapon that has the wormholes) and glue them somewhere... e.g. in the wings (if you place the tyrant flying more or less horizontally it may look cool, similar to a harridan) or modify one of the standard weapon arms with a cutter, a little of GS and put a "double head" to it, kinda like what RudyPicardo did here:

(one of the best-looking approaches)

Well, he used parts of a venom cannon, four devourer heads and I'd say a MC scything talon, but you can do something similar, smaller and have two arms like that.

I built my wings from some wire, GS, milliput, PVA glue and a thin plastic I had @ home, but personally I've always liked fellbeast/balrog wings which you can mail-order separately. Fit them in the upper arms, set up two twin-linked devourer arms and you have the legs free to do whatever you want with them I like what moloch does with warrior rending claws for the feet of his flying tyrants, check it out at his site: www.hivefleetmoloch.de/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hey, I just visited moloch's page for the first time in quite a while and he's added a flying tyrant. He went for the wing-mounted devourers, just as I suggested previously, and he used the balrog-felbeast wings
    Last edited by kalender; September 19th, 2007 at 09:45. Reason: I just visited moloch's page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x1)

Do this to the legs, It is the best mod, wings are best too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I've never been a fan of the wings modification on any of my Tyranid models, the gargoyles alone make my eye twitch. Wings just seem very un-futuristic to me. I mean...they are wings, and your opponent is firing laser, plasma, melta shots at you (e.g high technology weaponry).

Wings seem very fantasy based to me. Again just person opinion on them, others find them great, just not what I would classify as "high-tech". So, with that little disclaimer out of the way, I took the approach (at least for my "flying" hive tyrant) to go with organic jump pack setup.

I'll have to post some pics some time so fully show you what I mean. But with various bits I have left over I converted my hive tyrant to have sort of beetle wing shells and underneath them like boosts/jets protruding out. I'm very pleased on how it turned out and much prefer it over the wings modifications I've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all you replies. I've been looking through suggestions and I've actually Thought that the devourers on the wings looks really good but some of the other suggestions are good to so not sure just yet.

Please keep giving ideas as i haven't made my decision yet.

Also what would be better for this conversion the old tyrant or the one thats out now.

thanks again:ballon:
    Never broken, Never fallen, Courage out of fear.
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

+ Reply to Thread