Fighta flying base - ideas wanted - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Fighta flying base - ideas wanted

I want to build a flying base/stand for my Ork Fighta. It should be sturdy and wide enough to be a stable base for the model, but small enough that it can be moved across the table top.
    A couple of ideas I have had already:
    - A simple, stiff wire, with some modest scenery at the base.
    - A pylon, tower or tree, with the fighta "just scraping" the top as if it had flown too low. Although, why would a tree or tower be moving across the battlefield?
    - A stiff wire, but with bombs (bomz!), droptanks and a hapless grot tumbling from the fighta, disguising the wire.
    Please feel free to add ideas, critiques or things you have seen/tried.
    cheers
    TOMB
    (My blog)

Edit - I want to make a base that is 20-40 cm high, so that the Fighta appears to be flying, not just hovering like a Devilfish.

Last edited by TargetOnMyBack; September 22nd, 2007 at 13:49.
    Zapp: You see the killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shut down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

Your last idea strike me the most. Use a large and I mean LARGE plastic/metal/or wooden dowle to support the flyer. And thean like you said glue random bitz from the bombers boy bay falling out of it as if on a bombing run. The grot would just be icing on the cake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

Even though it will basically come down to a plane on a stick on a table top, I still want an illusion of flying - that's why I suggested wire. I was thinking something like brass wire or even a straightened coat hangar.
    Does anyone know if there is such a thing as transparent plastic rods? Polystyrene or something similar perhaps. Are they easily found? Expensive? Hard to glue things to? Brittle?
    Zapp: You see the killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shut down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

A tree or tower would be more benifical in the sense that the higher you place the fighter, the higher up the centre of gravity will be.

I.E The model probably won't be as sturdy the higher it goes, even if it is stiff wire.
    A tower, or tree would allow you place the wire up through it. So not only would the wire be attached to the base, so would the tree/tower, giving you a lot more stability to the model.

As for the tower/tree/pylon/rock/ice cream moving across the table.... well its just something you'd have to ignore really.
    I mean it could be argued that why would your normal men be running across ground that just happens to look exactly the same as to when they started the battle.

"Boss! Help me! Dis rock iz followin me!"

As long as it looks good, people won't care about it, and as long as people know that it isn't part of the terrain features then it should all be fine

Either way, hope it turns out well and look forward to seeing it.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

258 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Toastee View Post
    "Boss! Help me! Dis rock iz followin me!"

As long as it looks good, people won't care about it, and as long as people know that it isn't part of the terrain features then it should all be fine
    Hahahaha! Well put sir!

I agree with Toastee here; every model with a base gets followed by the same terrain all game so worrying about an amazing walking tree (40K ents!) should be the least of your worries. Your main concern should be making the base look good and be stable enough to hold the fighta.

40cm is very tall, and I doubt anything other than fairly thick metal rod will hold the fighta stable. Stiff wire is very unlikely to do the job well - It'll just bend and cause the fighta to crash.

I would personally go for a combination of your original ideas. I would disguise perhaps the bottom 2/3rds of the rod with a tree/other terrain piece, and have the last third partially covered by a falling grot, and possibly even bits and pieces falling off the fighta!

A couple of other ideas that might be useful to hide the stem:
    - Model the fighta so its on a diving attack run and hide the rod in the smoke trail of a rokkit. This would be very ambitious though
    - Use thick rod to emulate a 40K scale wooden telegraph poll. Have the fighta crashing a wing into the poll and smashing through it. I.e. have a small top section cracked off the poll and passing over the top of the fighta - like it had just flown straight through poll. This poll could then be used to mount the fighta on.
    - Model the Figtha so it looks like it is banking to one side. It can be banking so hard that one of the wingtips it touching the ground - you can then drill the rod through the whole superstructure and hide it completely.

Whichever way you choose to do it, I wish you the best of luck. Please stick up some pictures when you're finished; I'd love to see how it turns out.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

Thanks for the ideas

Folks, those are some really good ideas. I especially like the idea of compromise - start at a wide base, add a rock/tree/tower, with wire through it, and bombs/grots falling down.
    Unfortunately it will be several months before I can put this into action. I am away from my 40K stuff until after Xmas. So, I am filling in some spare time working on conversion ideas - I find that my ideas improve when I take the time to sketch them out. Then, being ork conversions, I just keep adding bits until the Oiler Grotz convince me that enough is enough.
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    cheers
    TOMB
    (my blog)

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I really like the "falling grot" idea, it would be a shame if you gave up on it....
    Why not make a really heavy base, heavy enough for the Fighta to be a fair bit in front of it, and then add the bombs and the grot but also an explosion? Something like this:

You could even have the grot ride one of the Bombs for a little Dr. Strangelove-loveliness and/or add pieces of buildings/models/vehicles in the explosion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I say do it even more simply than that. use a wire, like you suggested, and make it look like a grot is dangling from the craft, maybe being dragged backwards on his butt. That could disguise where the wire joins the base, and as for the rest of the wire itself, well, that's what the grot's clinging to, so it makes sense.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

The Grot (from Canew's idea) could even have had his kite caught by the engines, or some other part of the Fighta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ork Fighta

build a fort around the fighta is visible & not the stand with about a 10 inch radus8Y

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast