Golden Demon 2008 (Australia) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Golden Demon 2008 (Australia)

Its a bit late for this year but I'm motivated to concentrate my efforts on a 2008 entry. Here's the story...
    I first entered Warhammer around 1990 mainly as a painter, I was never really much of a player. From day one I seemed to have a natural talent and I''ve been painting on & off ever since. Over the years I've progressed through techniques and I think I'm ready to concentrate and give it a real shot. Some of my gear has been seen here before but see attached for recent work.
    Hopefully this will be a year long thread where a Golden Demon entry is seen through from conception to completion and you all can have some input. After reviewing previous entries I think my best shot would be a 40k squad plus a the obligatory 40k single miniature. You should stick with what you know so my entry will be Space Wolves. I'm an old fart so I'm thinking a squad of long fangs plus a command unit.
    I have a lot of old gear so I'd like to include one or two classic figures in the squad and the command unit should be simple but spectacular.
    The first step will be to select the units, then start refining my technique. I have plenty to practice on and all criticism is welcome. Here's a link to the local competition....
    http://oz.games-workshop.com/communi...on/results.htm

*Darnit my uploads are playing up. Pics will come soon, until then I am happy to hear feedback.

Last edited by Lost Nemesis; October 28th, 2007 at 20:09.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Can't wait to see your pictures! Thanks for sharing this with the community, and best of luck on the boards and especially in the competition!

Tekore

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

I look forward to this one as well. It's always nice to see a project as it evolves, and it's always nice to know that Golden Demon entries aren't painted in a couple of nights, it makes me feel better about my gaming-level efforts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm going with the Long Fangs squad. The common thread in all kind of comps is to follow a theme so that's what I plan to do. Also been looking around at what types of model are the most popular.
    Long Fangs are reputed for being patient, stoic and sure footed so that means no extravagant bases or poses. It would be totally out of character for a Long Fang to be perched on one foot lunging out with a Lascannon. The most popular models are weather beaten and gritty with artifacts to convey their age so that means no lairy colours, worn armour & earthy tones. I would also like to incorporate some classic WWII nose art, maybe on a banner.
    A common gripe is the 2 dimensional, rather boring default poses of figures straight out of the box. I would be out of my league (and indeed, just one of many) taking on a complex conversion so I thought of a novel way around this. How about one figure posed out front with a vintage box camera on a tripod so it appears the squad is posing for a group photo ? 2 dimensional, static poses would then be completely in context and follow the theme. A large part of this project is in the planning so feel free to fire ideas.
    BTW, I'm completely aware that my painting may end up being completely out of the GD league but hey, its all about having a go.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Howser View Post
    Well I'm going with the Long Fangs squad. The common thread in all kind of comps is to follow a theme so that's what I plan to do. Also been looking around at what types of model are the most popular.
    Long Fangs are reputed for being patient, stoic and sure footed so that means no extravagant bases or poses. It would be totally out of character for a Long Fang to be perched on one foot lunging out with a Lascannon. The most popular models are weather beaten and gritty with artifacts to convey their age so that means no lairy colours, worn armour & earthy tones. I would also like to incorporate some classic WWII nose art, maybe on a banner.
    A common gripe is the 2 dimensional, rather boring default poses of figures straight out of the box. I would be out of my league (and indeed, just one of many) taking on a complex conversion so I thought of a novel way around this. How about one figure posed out front with a vintage box camera on a tripod so it appears the squad is posing for a group photo ? 2 dimensional, static poses would then be completely in context and follow the theme. A large part of this project is in the planning so feel free to fire ideas.
    BTW, I'm completely aware that my painting may end up being completely out of the GD league but hey, its all about having a go.
    Heh, that's a pretty clever idea, I like it. Others may have a better opinion on whether GD's ever go to a funny idea like that though, or if they prefer a more dramatic, in-character sort of pose.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

g'day

as a fellow SW collector i have to put my 2 cents worth in.

frankly i think the idea of any SM posing for a pic is a joke, they are killers not pretty boys, SW most of all.

my suggestion to get round the 2d poses is to create a simple mounted base that looks like a building, with a simple conversion of the LF pack leader dropping off the side onto a pile of orks or tyranids (dynamic) (or aiming his gun down at the things trying to get in), or alterativly with the pack leader pointing in 2 directions at once (fluffy), while the rest of the old buggers do what they do best and blow the important targets away.

also id suggest painting them the blue colour because ever since eye of terror every SW army i have seen has been painted pure grey, and you want your entry to stand out from the masses, not blend in without a second thought.

Cheers
    Beatonthis
    92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Prog rock FTW!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the heads up on the colour - yes they wil be classic Shadow Grey.
    Today was Golden Demon submission day so I headed out to the local GW's (two close to me) to check out the entries. I have to say I was a bit surprised to see the quality of entries and not in a good way. I suppose its like seeing your favourite movie star in person - up close the flaws really stand out. At least now I'm confident that my work is in the same league as many GD entrants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uploads are working again...
    At the moment I'm stuck speedpainting a shatload of Eldar for a mate

Here are some Scorps I finished not too long ago

And a few pieces from the cupboard. Eagle eyed forum peeps may notice I added some highlights to the lightning claws after so much hate in the other thread ! I intend to practice on my old figs first so stay tuned after I finished these poxy Eldar !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool pics i really like the scorpions they look great, I entered young bloods 40k single two days ago;Y. It was the first time and i didnt expect to get anywhere but i got through to the regional finals in melbourne.

It was a tau ethereal ( i would put up a picture of it but i dont know how!). The judge Heath at Area 52 told me i really need to work on my blending though, can anyone give me any tips on this with some of there models please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Howser, in regards to your idea about the camera and everything, I've heard it before that even though something might be painted very well, it wasn't in keeping with the whole 'feel of the warhammer universe'.

An example was that they saw a dreadnought in a top hat that was painted really well, but they couldn't place it because it wasn't following the fluff of the warhammer universe. ie. you'd never see a SM dread with a top hat on, or a berzerker playing the piano.

Just saying because it'd be terrible to paint something that was better than everything else, but couldn't place because of an issue like that.

I too am going to put a few entries into GD for 2008, so hopefully I might see you there! I was dissapointed that I couldn't get down there to GD Day on the weekend but due to unforseen circumstances it wasn't possible.
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast