Pin Vices - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pin Vices

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

397 (x6)

Pin Vices

I know a lot of people use pin vices for painting and I was hoping to start doing the same. I was wondering what sizes people typically used, and also what they were putting in the holes once they were drilled. Is it just wire, or something else?

2. Remove Advertisements

New England, USA
    3 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Funny, I just started doing this...

Me, i use the smallest bit for my vise. Sorry I don't know the measurement, but it's the one used to drill out vents in SM boltguns. The one that fits perfectly in the holes on the side.

Anyway, I drill small holes with it, then use a paper clip that I straightened and then cut into rods. Yeah, I hear people use brass rod too, but whatever turns you on. I had a ton of paper clips available. Use the smallest ones you can find. If yours are too thick to fit the holes, go up a size on your vise. If the holes are too big, use funtack (that's blu-tac to you brits out there), or just glue the rod in place with PVA glue(NOT superglue!). Easy to remove once you're done painting.

I also like chucking the other end of the rod into place on the pin vise handle. Makes for a handy painting handle. Then, find a piece of styrofoam to stick the rod in afterward while the part dries.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread