Everything destroyed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything destroyed

Hello i'm new here and I have a question for you.

If you had all of you hobby supplies destroyed, paints, brushes, everything.
    Knowing what you know now what would you buy?

What paint brand, what brushes, what books, what glues, what kind of flocking?

Please say the brand and product, don't just say GW brushes, tell me wich ones.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

That's pretty easy, actually... i will just list the stuff I use on a regular basis

GW mega paint set (a smokin' deal compared to retail)
    foundation paint set
    Model master plastic glue (don't like the GW glue)
    medium thickness Jet superglue
    2 xacto knifes w/no.11 blades
    a good small flush-cut dikes
    emery boards
    a drill and paperclips for pinning
    a tube of squadron green putty
    green stuff
    black spray primer
    grey spray primer (I don't like working from white)
    some acrylic expander and gel (art store stuff)
    and about $30 bucks worth of good brushes from an art store

Honestly, if you can swing the cost, the mega paint set is worth it, and has everything you need.
    My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

GW paintset, Green stuff, White Spray, Glade/Scorched Grass
    Winsor & Newton series 7 brushes (000,00,0)
    Colourfull Arts brushsoap 3in1 cleaner/restorer/preserver
    Generic glue, scalpel,clippers, some sort of rubber mat to cut/clean models on
    Feldherr medium Figure Case
    Lamp with a daylight bulb

and most importantly... a takeaway!
    (one that gives u clear plastic containers, the lids are great for mixing on or using as a wet palette)

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Well, not being quite in the same financial situation as good aeroplane, I'd ba far more modest in my purchases. I'd skip quite a lot of the crap I've been buying and I'd never get the Mega paintset or two of the same exacto-knives.

I'd get me:
    A pair of clippers or wirecutters really- they seem to be able to handle metal a bit better, and face it -it's not always the soft GW-metals you're cutting.
    A knife. This would be a cheap one, like in a a set of different sizes all for a few pounds/dollars or whatever.
    Three paintbrushes: I use a cheap version, let me check...Dekorima sizes "0001, 1 and 2.
    The paints I'd be using -no inks.
    A bottle of "Super attak Gel control"-it's a superglue but not a fluid - it's (surprise) a gel -brilliant.
    Then add some Green stuff,
    One scalpel -now this is where I'd spend some money, make sure there's no plastic details-metal all the way.
    A GW sculpting tool (or the equivallent )
    Finally a pair of tweezers (sp?)

And if you really need it- some painting medium (to make those finedetail stuff) and a pair of rubbergloves and a thin needle)

That'd be about it really- the rest of my stuff is really only in the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

all of the above are reasonable lists, so i'll just add the few things that I'd absolutely re-buy that aren't listed:

A stay wet palette (i use a Masterson 6x8 palette)
    a bottle of future floor wax (this stuff is awesome, great for washes, makes canopies shine, and if you have an airbrush, a great alternative to gloss varnish)
    A set of needle files
    a couple of cheap dry brushes (i use royal soft grey from Michaels. cheapest stiff bristle brush i could find, in sizes 2-6)
    clamps

it's really quite amazing what you end up relying on, and what you bought that you thought would be "essential" but really isn't in the end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Things I cannot live without:
    • W&N Series 7 sizes 1 and 0 (absolutely perfect for all normal and detail painting. Large surfaces may need a 2, amazingly tiny detail may need a 00. I mean, hugely tiny detail. Like, smaller than eyes. Seriously).
    • Games Workshop Small and Large Drybrushes
    • Games Workshop Tank brush (for speed painting)
    • Wet pallette (home made, half a bath sponge, some baking paper and a tupperware box)
    • Good angle-poise lamp, with daylight bulb.
    • A3 cutting matt.
    • Scalpel.
    • Clippers.
    • Pin Vice (+a bunch of 1mm drill bits).
    • Proxxon hand-held electric drill (fake Dremmel, but much cheaper and seemingly more reliable)
    • Set of needle files.
    • Several bags of static grass (in various colours, from any hobby/model train shop).
    • GW modelling sand (the one with the small pebbles in, very handy for texture).
    • 5mm Cork Board (absolutely fantastic basing material)
    • Various GW and Vallejo Paints, including:
      White, Black, Bleached Bone and Scorched Brown as my absolute essentials.
      Many other paints are good to have (especially the foundation paints), but these are pretty much essential, and will be used on almost everything I paint.
    • Vallejo Glaze Medium. So, so, so much better than using inks.

Well, that's me done, off the top of my head.
    Paints-wise, I tend to buy as I go. I mix a lot, so buying new colours isn't normally a big thing for me, but for painting an army it is much better to have 'real' paints, as it is much more reliable than re-mixing the same colour for every squad ('cos it won't be the same every time...!).
    Buy as needed, is my motto where paints are concerned.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

I don't see why everyone seems to say the Mega paint set, I find that the lack of variety in the GW paint line makes it difficult to get by with just GW paints.
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    I don't see why everyone seems to say the Mega paint set, I find that the lack of variety in the GW paint line makes it difficult to get by with just GW paints.
    So what would you suggest for the man who posted the original question? I would be interested to hear, since GW paints are my mainstay, since I'm newer than most to the hobby.

Tekore

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

I have to say, I disagree entirely with you, catbarf.

While GW is lacking in several things that I now use every time I paint (such as mediums), the basic colour range is more than ample.
    While it may be lacking choice in several areas (reds and oranges spring to mind) it is fairly simple to mix any colour you want (yes, even with reds. If you want a 'brighter' red, add some yellows, then a teeny bit of a light blue to bring it back from orange...).

If you really, really want a specific colour, then I would reccomend the Vallejo Model Colour range. It is huge.
    Also, I find them to be generally better quality, and much more suited to layering than GW, but that is mainly personal preference.
    As advice for a beginner, GW ftw.

Also, I remembered that the 'How to Paint Space Marines' book is awesome.
    Well worth grabbing a copy of that if you don't already own one, even if you hate SMs.
    Pretty much tells you everything you need to know to get started building and painting.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the formulation of the GW paints. I would even go so far as to say that they are indeed on par with the other major brands such as Vallejo and reaper... however the big area they are lacking is in their pot design. Even their new design is prone to paint drying out and I really don't understand why everyone doesn't go towards a dropper type bottle. Much more accurate than dipping your brush into the paint!

Vallejo has their problems as well - however I primarily use them as the paint is very good and I love the eye dropper bottles.

I have a plethora of accessories. Some get used more than others. I always like to point out that you really only need what you intend to get out of the hobby. There is always something extra that you could use if you really wanted it.

Basics though would be:

paint
    primer
    brushes
    utility knife
    snips (though you could probably get away with using the utility knife)
    glue

That will get you a basic figure with no extras. You could get some form of basing material to go the distance... Anything else you get would be because you want to get more out of the hobby!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread