Land Raider - Weapons in the forward or second door openings? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Land Raider - Weapons in the forward or second door openings?

Yes - I think all can agree (looking at the "original" LR design) that it seems a little silly to disembark in front of firing sponsons, so I was thinking, how the beast would look with the lascanon sponsons being fitted to the first set of side hatches? I know such configuration is possible, as one of the Imperial Armour books has such picture under the Inquisitorial vehicles...

The main reasoning for weapons to be in the back is to open the forward doors for disembarking Termies (or whatever you have inside). Doing so gives you an inch or so of extra range when assaulting the enemy squad, which might make all the difference... However, I will be using this tank mainly as Armor 14 terrain piece, and for the two lascannon sponsons.

So I was thinking, why not put the laser in the front, and give myself extra inch of shooting range? 48 inches is a lot, but let's say that we also take into consideration the Crusader, or the Forgeworld's variant with side twin-inked HBolters here...

Also, the forward position might open a little bit more of a forward arc for shooting, as the tip of the barrel will be closer to the corner of the Land Raider and able to "look around it" for those precious two or three degrees...

So, did anyone tried such variant, and if so - how does it look and does it really offer any benefits/disadvantages?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

By the Silver Sword! Stormchaser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x3)

I've done this with all the Land Raiders I've built. It just seems like a daft idea to dissembar in front of 12 firing hurricane bolters. Personally I think it looks better and gives it more of an "Assult-y" feel to it.

Hope that helps
    Codex: Legion Astartes - I am in need of Beta/proof readers and play testers
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

i like it better (visually) on the back position, but i agree that "reality-wise" it would make more sense to disembark behind the main guns!

And from a gameplay point of view: i don't think those half inches and 2 degrees are ever gonna win you the game!
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Fair points all! I also like the weapons to be further back, so that is what I am going to do with my Raider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

There seems to be no argument here.

I would aim for what looks best to you.

Alternatively, assemble the model in a way which maximizes its role. If the primary role is Assault then place the weapons farther back, otherwise, farther forward if you don't plan on using it for Assault often.

In real life it would obviously matter, but in this game? Not so much.

I got both my LandRaiders through ebay. One has the Lascannons farther back, while the Crusader has the Hurricane's farther forwards.

Enjoy,
    Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
    The main reasoning for weapons to be in the back is to open the forward doors for disembarking Termies (or whatever you have inside).
    So I was thinking, why not put the laser in the front, and give myself extra inch of shooting range?
    Putting the weapons at the back so that you can have an easier time assaulting is very clever. However if the enemy assaults the tank before anybody gets out with the doors at the front blocking access points will be easy. The tank can then be destroyed and your enemy will be able to trap the passengers inside causing the Terminators or whoever to be baked alive, that is very clever too.

You should be aware that when you fire a weapon you measure the range from the model not the weapon itself, to be precise the model's base or the closest thing to it's base in the case of a tank. So putting the lascannons at the front provides no benefit.

In terms of what looks good there are three looks you can go for. The first is to have the lascannons at the back. Now this is a fairly conservative statement but a well though out look. The weapons being placed towards the rear marks the Land raider out as clearly being a support weapon. It also shows a clear headed nature in trying to get the best out of the vehicle.

The second look is to have the weapons at the front. This is a much more in-your-face look and says very clearly you want a fight. It isn't the most flexible way to go but the weapons being placed at the front will tell everybody the tank is dangerous and get thier attention.

The third look is to have one lascannon at the front and one at the back. This is a very ramshackle and stupid look. It may have worked when grunge was popular but now it will just look silly. Of course if all you want to do is shock people then one at the front and one at the back is the only way to go. But expect shock to turn to laughter fairly quickly.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

You could also have both. Put both the sponsons on the same side and you'll get to eat your kept cookie.

But, maybe not...

I think it looks best when they are in the back-position. As for the "it would be stupid to assault when your guns are fiering right at you"-logic, well... I assume those well trained warriormonks of the 41st millenia know how to stop fiering too.
    And stop driving as well.
    Ever noticed how they have the door in the front of the vehicle?
    So, if you go out through that door you most probably be run over...

I think we can all safely assume that if they don't run you over, they won't shoot you either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus View Post
    You could also have both. Put both the sponsons on the same side and you'll get to eat your kept cookie.
    Ah, well spotted Andusciassus, I didn't think of that one. In that case having a Land raider with both it's lascannons on one side the tank will really be sporting a kind of punk look. Lop-sided and deliberately messy. Very good for looking different but everybody's already different so it can be hard to pull off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x6)

But there would be no question that both of those sponsons can target same tank!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Forgeworld's preheresy LR has very attractive forward mounted lascannons, but these are of course radically different designs. When I buy a LR, Im definitely saving up for that bad boy.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/phlandraider.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast