When do you paint? Befor or after building the models. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When do you paint? Befor or after building the models.

I just build most of my 40k army together. But now a friend, who has some years of experience (of reallife military plastic models) with modelling and painting, says that I should have painted it before sticking the parts together.
    Is that right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not "right" but its easier. If you paint your model then put it together, you won't have arms or whatnot sticking in the way when your trying to paint. So basically, its best to paint then put together.

Woot my 200th post!!

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive asked this question before i think. I was told if you want to have lots of detail in the diffcult places to reach it might be a good idea to paint parts seperately. Or you could just paint the models arms seperately and then stick those on the body, the arms do give you the most trouble for painting in hard to get places. Personally I paint when the models are fully made.

Superbock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I used to be superbock, if anyone cares.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

This is one of those fun questions that makes me point to the 'search' feature.

But anyways, basically, it's up to personal preference.
    Personally, I always build most of my models, leaving off/seperate chunks that either get in the way of other detail, or that are 'logically' seperate bits.

ie: When painting my basic marines, I assemble the entire model, but leave the right arm and boltgun seperate, so I can easily reach the chest detail.
    When painting a chariot, I leave the crew off, so that I can do each model justice.
    Etc etc...

Simple really.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by minus_t View Post
    This is one of those fun questions that makes me point to the 'search' feature.

But anyways, basically, it's up to personal preference.
    Personally, I always build most of my models, leaving off/seperate chunks that either get in the way of other detail, or that are 'logically' seperate bits.

ie: When painting my basic marines, I assemble the entire model, but leave the right arm and boltgun seperate, so I can easily reach the chest detail.
    When painting a chariot, I leave the crew off, so that I can do each model justice.
    Etc etc...

Simple really.

-t.
    Yep, already found some similar Threads with the "Similar Thread" function :p
    Should have used the search function first ...

Experienced the same some minutes ago. Especially the chest of grey knight terminators is hard to come by when painting after compiling the parts. (Purity Seals etc near the shoulder plates)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

I'm a gamer at heart, so I like to have an army ready for battle as quickly as possible and I tend to assemble the models before painting them. It does get very difficult with all of the arms and whatnot in the way, but it's hardly an issue with models like Assault Marines who don't actually have any interposing whatnots to get in your way

I do so love my bikes...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I put together some basic troops and models when I'm in a hurry to use them in game, and then paint them. On the other hand, when I have models I truly love, I either paint them before use or break them back down for painting and then get more detail work done.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -47 (x0)

Same here, I've just started, and I started assembling them before painting.

But for important dudes (Hive tyrants etc), I would definitely assemble it without the arms and such, then put them on after painting.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I agree with minus_t here. This thread is a 'popular' question, so I am sure you could have easily have found your answers via the use of the search function. Please use this in the future, before asking a question such as this.

KU

Closed Thread