Scratch-built monolith? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Scratch-built monolith?

Hi:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but has anyone ever tried to scratch-build a monolith? (EDIT: I did try a search first, and didn't find anything.)

I've seen many templates for vehicles, drop pods, etc. before, but I have yet to see templates for a 'lith, leading me to speculate on building my own. Has anyone ever tried?

I'm not even looking to build a "standard" one. I'm imagining building one with the same basic footprint, the same size/oriented portal, but of an entirely different design. Anyone ever tried?

Please note I am NOT soliciting templates here, nor am I looking for any postings here of anything that violates forum rules. In fact, I'm more interested in making something of my own creation, that is vaguely the right size and shape, but not so vague that it's unfair to other players. Thoughts?

Last edited by Canew; October 26th, 2007 at 21:51.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x2)

I haven't seen anyone building one themself, but it shouldn;t be too hard.

The monolith model itself is rather simple, if you look at it. It has a fairly easy to replicate shape and ultimately is just an empty box.

The basic shape is easy to replicate using either cardboard (sturdy one at that) or plasticard. The only question is how elaborate you want the surface and ornamentation to be.

And as long as yours is roughly the same size and overall shape I doubt that anybody would take offense. Personally I wouldn;t mind at all if you would built a floating pyramid or pillar.
    Shut up and play.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Guess I need to find a friend with one and take some measurements :party:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually have a template for a monolith, although I havent tried it myself yet. I wanna try making a Warhound and Warlord first.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

I actualy had an idea for a semi-scratchbuilt monolith, but I might never get around to it. I was going to use the base of a friend's ebay-nightmare monolith. Just the base, since the rest is in shambles. Then use some Radio Shack parts to light it with a bright LED. Maybe find a cheap plastic gem at a halloween store to filter the light through... The only thing left would be figuring a way to model the smaller green tube arrays as something obvious...

Brainstorming here:
    A basic cone shape would be easy to use as a base for a monolith. It would be easy to find a cone that fits the size. Craft stores sell styrofoam in cone shapes.

There are also those mini road cones ... not sure though. They tend to be rubber and that makes them bad for painting (too much flex).

You could always just use insulation foam and cut and sand it however you want. The beauty of monoliths is that they are just blocks with details stuck on.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    I actualy had an idea for a semi-scratchbuilt monolith, but I might never get around to it. I was going to use the base of a friend's ebay-nightmare monolith. Just the base, since the rest is in shambles. Then use some Radio Shack parts to light it with a bright LED. Maybe find a cheap plastic gem at a halloween store to filter the light through... The only thing left would be figuring a way to model the smaller green tube arrays as something obvious...

Brainstorming here:
    A basic cone shape would be easy to use as a base for a monolith. It would be easy to find a cone that fits the size. Craft stores sell styrofoam in cone shapes.

There are also those mini road cones ... not sure though. They tend to be rubber and that makes them bad for painting (too much flex).

You could always just use insulation foam and cut and sand it however you want. The beauty of monoliths is that they are just blocks with details stuck on.
    Yeah, "semi" scratchbuilt is a pretty good description of what I'm going for. I will probably use a "real" base and walls (or the dimensions for them), as a start, since I wanna make it "accurate" enough that no one will gripe if I take it to club-level tournaments/games. I'm thinking plasticard only because it will be easiest to assemble, though using a piece of shaped styrofoam as a base for it is not a bad idea. Hmmm...

Overall, I expect it to have that "black highlighted with green" color which, while extremely traditional, will contrast nicely with my army. I also intend to further save money by not using GW green plastic. I was thinking of putting a "dome" in the middle, where the crystal would be, and painting it like one of those static electricity balls. You know, a blended green, then "lightning" streaks across it. Anyone have a good suggestion for a nice, smooth, domelike shape to put there? I don't wanna use styrofoam, as that's got a rough surface. I need something smooth...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

There are some nice plastic domes that you can pick up at your local hardware store by looking in the PVC pipe area. I know a few people that use them for drop pod parts, they should be the perfect size. Plus, they're already the smooth plastic, and take primer and paint well. Hope this helps!

Tekore

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Nah - they are too gorgeous not to buy one, and you most likely will ever use only one...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
    Nah - they are too gorgeous not to buy one, and you most likely will ever use only one...
    And too expensive. Besides, where's the fun in owning one just like everyone else's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
    Unless you play Apocalypse. But they Necron Phalax is pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast