Steel Legion Rough Rider - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Steel Legion Rough Rider

I've been wanting to include some Rough Riders in my Guard army for awhile now and after waffling around on how to do it and what to do it with, here's what I ended up with-

The bike I picked up in a White Scars box my FLGS has had on the shelf for years. I did a little modification on it as you can tell. The legs are (I think) Tallarn, the right arm is (again, I think) Attilan. The head, torso, and left arm are from the Steel Legion Sergeant that's holding the Ork head (the arm was repositioned and green stuffed as was the join between the torso and legs).

The pictures aren't the greatest- I still don't quite have the hang of lighting minis in pics.

My first real conversion though! I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Very nicely done, and it looks great. Any chance of a squad of these bad boys being in the works?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Thanks man!

Yeah, I've got the parts to do six more. At that point it'll either be done, or back to eBay.
    We all carry on,
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DEADMARSH View Post
    I've been wanting to include some Rough Riders in my Guard army for awhile now and after waffling around on how to do it and what to do it with, here's what I ended up with-

The bike I picked up in a White Scars box my FLGS has had on the shelf for years. I did a little modification on it as you can tell. The legs are (I think) Tallarn, the right arm is (again, I think) Attilan. The head, torso, and left arm are from the Steel Legion Sergeant that's holding the Ork head (the arm was repositioned and green stuffed as was the join between the torso and legs).

The pictures aren't the greatest- I still don't quite have the hang of lighting minis in pics.

My first real conversion though! I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.
    Those are awesome dude! The biggest problem I've had with starting an IG army is that Rough Riders are a must but I've always hated the model, this solves my problem perfectly Good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I like how you combined all these different kinds of minis! Although the bike is very bulky for an IG, I still think it does not look out of proportion. Making the plate at the handlebar so much smaller is one big reason for this I think.
    In addition I like the feeling a lot. There are not very many different shades on the Rough Rider (mainly greyish) put that's exactly how I imagine some Steel Legion like industrial Rough Riders on bikes.
    Still if you painted the skulls on the mini in a dark bone colour (not too rich) IMO this would even improve the mini.

Nevertheless I think you could have made the bike look even better if you had sprayed it more carefully. On the side of the wheelhouse the paint looks somehow textured (1st pic) and one upper edge of the wheelhouse seems have a small blob of paint on it (2nd pic). If you are more carefully when you spray the next Rough Riders this should even improve their appearance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

very cool looking!

i would have choosen slightly smaller bike wheels though, other than that, great!
    Last edited by Zema; November 6th, 2007 at 10:40.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hekau Chasut View Post
    I like how you combined all these different kinds of minis! Although the bike is very bulky for an IG, I still think it does not look out of proportion. Making the plate at the handlebar so much smaller is one big reason for this I think.
    Yeah, I was kinda surprised how big the SM bike really is since my Steel Legion guys don't really appear to be much smaller than my Space Marines. The handlebar area helped as did cutting off the footwells and adding a backpack to the rider was essential. It looked totally goofy until he got a backpack.

In addition I like the feeling a lot. There are not very many different shades on the Rough Rider (mainly greyish) put that's exactly how I imagine some Steel Legion like industrial Rough Riders on bikes.
    Still if you painted the skulls on the mini in a dark bone colour (not too rich) IMO this would even improve the mini.
    My Steel Legion are stuck on a planet where it rains constantly and their main action so far has been fighting orks in one of the planet's main cities, so I picked a dark, drab scheme. Grey, brown, OD green, etc. I had considered painting the skulls a little different color. Maybe on the Sarge's bike?

Nevertheless I think you could have made the bike look even better if you had sprayed it more carefully. On the side of the wheelhouse the paint looks somehow textured (1st pic) and one upper edge of the wheelhouse seems have a small blob of paint on it (2nd pic). If you are more carefully when you spray the next Rough Riders this should even improve their appearance!
    Yeah, that's valid. I had primed up some Deathwatch dudes before I got to the biker and my can got low. The texture is some of the dregs from the bottom of the can I think. I didn't notice it until I had it back upstairs and started painting. I should've stripped it down immediately, but I'd never painted a bike before, so I thought this model could serve as a test model.
    We all carry on,
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by DEADMARSH View Post
    I had considered painting the skulls a little different color. Maybe on the Sarge's bike?
    I would stick to bone colours for skulls. IMO skulls in different colours look some kind of odd.
    Still you could paint the circle around the skull at the side of the bike in a different colour as some kind of squad marking or to make the sergeant stand out a bit more (apart from the extraordinary conversion you will use to make your enemies tremble if they only here his name)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

very neat, and it looks great!. Good job.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Rep to you man on one heck of a conversion! It looks awesome!

Tekore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast