Freehand Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freehand Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freehand Help!

I love banners, standards and flags. I like them HUGE and brilliant. I love it when they are unique and tie in with the army very well. Unfortunately, beyond text I find great difficulty doing freehand. So, I am looking for tips, tools and tricks of the trade. There are some incredible freehand banners on this site (cough-tcough). How do you guys go about coming up with them? Whats the process for painting them. Backdrop first then focal points after? Or what? Do you make the big ones out of green stuff and then just paint on that? Or mayhap it is paper printed at highest quality and folded over the rods that always stick out of flag poles!

For awhile I've wanted to make true canvas banners using little pieces of canvas sewn together at the ends and then with the banner painted on some how. Is that a viable idea? Reasonable to approach with hope?

Whats the word?

Music must give birth to orgasm and revolution
    Latest LO Blog Post
    <+Tarnag> Who could help but love a name like Ultramoose, I think of a Moose with a rocket strapped to it breathing fire and wailing on a guitar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

WEll im not the greatest freehander but when i do something i first prime it and tehn scetch out what im goingt o paint in pencil. Usually I have a the doodle worked out beforehand. Once the pencil drawing looks right on the side of a tank or banner whatever, I can start painting. I do a base color first, the darkeest tones go on now. Then I start to bring out details with lighter tones of paint. Once everything is how it should I seal it with a clear coat of varnish. Use the matte ones not the glossy ones unless you want a sheen on it at all times. And thats a rough idea on how to paint freehand. Just go slow and use a small brush. Mistakes can always be painted over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guant View Post
    WEll im not the greatest freehander but when i do something i first prime it and tehn scetch out what im goingt o paint in pencil. Usually I have a the doodle worked out beforehand. Once the pencil drawing looks right on the side of a tank or banner whatever, I can start painting. I do a base color first, the darkeest tones go on now. Then I start to bring out details with lighter tones of paint. Once everything is how it should I seal it with a clear coat of varnish. Use the matte ones not the glossy ones unless you want a sheen on it at all times. And thats a rough idea on how to paint freehand. Just go slow and use a small brush. Mistakes can always be painted over.
    Thanks for the advice

Anyone else got more tips?
    Latest LO Blog Post
    <+Tarnag> Who could help but love a name like Ultramoose, I think of a Moose with a rocket strapped to it breathing fire and wailing on a guitar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I'm doing right now actually is drawing the banners and symbols and whatnot much larger than game size on regular paper, then scanning it into a computer, working on the lines and stuff in Paint Shop Pro (Photoshop would be similar). Once I've got the outlines the way I like, I'm going to paint them (on the computer), resize to game size, and then print them out on some high-grade paper like vellum or such. Then I'm going to cut them out, bend them up so they look like they're flapping in the breeze a bit, apply some PVA glue to them to stiffen them up a bit, and then attach them to the banner poles. It's a lazy method and it might not look totally right, but I think it'll look a ton better than me freehanding a paint job, although I've done it that way before.

Oh, and to answer the question about canvas...Canvas looks fine for a banner at human-sized scale, but at model scale, the low thread count would look wrong. It would basically look like a giant wicker basket with stuff painted on it. I'm not even sure silk or 1000-count cotton cloth would even look like canvas at the scale Games Workshop figure are in...maybe. I've never thought about it. It would have to be a very fine fabric like that, if you have to go the fabric route. Fine=grained paper does a pretty good job of fake canvas. Maybe the cloth they use to make model ship sails....
    Last edited by badmartialarts; November 18th, 2007 at 05:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'll probably do something like that. I was thinking of ordering some custom transfer sheets the size of a banner lol. that seems like a needless amount of cash to spend though

Hmm i hadn't thought of that about the canvas. that sucks.
    Last edited by Ultramoose; November 18th, 2007 at 05:55.
    Latest LO Blog Post

+ Reply to Thread