I guess I'm making Zagstruk and the Vulcha Boyz! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    472 (x6)

I guess I'm making Zagstruk and the Vulcha Boyz!

Oi!

Just as an aside before I start, I never know which forum to post this sort of thing in. The conversions forum seems more for ideas than actual models, but I see people posting conversions and stuff all the time in here. Should this really go under modelling, instead?

Anyway. It's pretty much fact to anyone who has read the new ork codex that Zagstruk is damn near mandatory for ork armies now. His new rules are incredible. Power klaw feet that strike at initiative? Deep striking and assaulting on the same turn? Truly awesome.

I obviously need some stormboyz, and a Zagstruk to lead them. Might as well get started on a Vultcha squad, eh?

I'd link the art of Zagstruk from the new 'dex, but I'm fairly sure that's against the rules. Needless to say, it's pretty awesome. As I am prone to do, I started with modelling the most visible thing in the picture - the choppa. It's still a work in progress.

Handle is from one of the fantasy ogres. I hacked off the blade and started replacing it with my own. It looks like there's a rokkit booster on the side of Zagstruk's sword, but that would be so fiddly and tiny I decided a simple cylinder would do for now. I also chopped a part off one of the ork shootas that had a gauge for the side opposite the boosta. Persumably it's a fuel gauge or altimiter. Assuming it works at all, which is a fairly big assumption given orks. I have to add those spiky bits to the back of the handle still.

During the course of working on this, I found myself in a conundrum as to what I would make his jetpack look like. Since he's Zagstruk and all, he's the biggest and most important stormboy, and as such should have a suitably enormous contraption on his back to hurtle him through the air. Still, it was one of the parts that the art clearly avoided, so I got to wondering for a while.

Someone else over at The-Waaagh was working on a Zagstruk model a while back, and they were also wondering what sort of jetpack to give him. They posted this little line of dialogue:

I figured as the greatest and most revered of the stormboyz his jump pack would be the closest to a ballistic missile or something fired off of a Gargant.
    Hah, fired off a garga-... hey, wait a minute.

A.. a grot bomb?

You know, I actually have a spare one of them. I got it busted-up... the grot pilot was damaged beyond recognition and some of the back fins were missing.

Hmmm.

It's pretty obvious what has to be done.

This is going to take a while, I think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

You, sir, are brilliant.

And you need to finish one project before moving to another.

But I'll forgive you. Keep it up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

hehe, looks neat. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
    I do like the curved evil looking blade though!
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    177 (x2)

I gotta say; I saw that choppa, and the little kid in me said

"ooooOOOOOOOHHHH!!!" ;?
    Tau

An elementary particle of the lepton family, having a mass about 3,550 times that of the electron, a negative electric charge, and a mean lifetime of 3 x 10-13 seconds in close combat.

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    472 (x6)

I actually did a bit of digging, and I think that despite my best efforts I'm going to have to do some sculpting on this one. I have a stormboy nob body for if this totally fails, but hopefully I won't have to resort to messing that thing up. I hacked the torso off the last spare nob body I had and started dremelling it all down to bare metal. Basically I just wanted to get something the approximate size and shape of an ork nob torso to sculpt over.

That's the forgeworld fighta bomma pilot on the left, the rokkit in the middle for scale, and the completely wrecked nob torso on the right. I stuck the torso on an armature. I plan on sculpting a jacket and straps on that torso similar (hopefully) to the fighta-bomma body, using it as a reference. I'd honestly be hacking apart the fighta bomma body right now were it not for the fact that he has a spent parachute part on his back that would create so many problems that it's not worth the trouble.

The plan right now it to sculpt some under details like stitches on a shirt across the front of the chest. I don't have to be too precise about how I do this right now mostly because when it's all said and done there will be straps covering the front of the chest, as well as the jacket, so you won't see much of the actual ork body underneath. The jacket's obviously going to be the hardest part, but with the FW one nearby I should have a handy reference.

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

472 (x6)

Step 1 on the torso is done. Sculpted a little bit of the 'undershirt' - the thing that will be covered by a jacket and chest cross straps. Don't have to be too precise with it, really.

I need to figure out how to sculpt the jacket hanging open like on the forgeworld pilot now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

So it he gonna be launched upside down with the thing strapped to his back? It looks awesome, and like most of your conversions I love the idea behind it. Come on, I want to see this one painted

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

472 (x6)

While Zag's body is drying, I thought I might do something with the ruined back end of the grot bomb I've been hacking up. I made a cute little piece for when the supa-rokkit fired off my gargant totally misses, which is shockingly common despite the fact that it hits on a 2+. I don't really have anywhere else to post this, so...

One of the back fins was missing when I got the model, so I just plasti-carded up a replacement real quick. I'm looking for an alternative to the cotton right now. Steel wool doesn't look too bad.

Ein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

472 (x6)

Stuff has finished drying. I've been looking at this and trying to plan out how the pose should go, and I think before I sculpt the jacket I should probably do the lower half so I can understand the flow of the model properly first. I'm going to diverge from the codex art pose a little bit - I'm probably going to pose him with both arms outstretched to the sides and the right leg extended straight down to deliver the klaw blow, with the left leg bent up.

I thought before I went to bed I'd take a shot of how it's going so far. I'm using one of the fantasy black orc heads like I've seen on another zagstrukk model. It's a damn near perfect match to the art. Have to figure out how I'm going to go about sculpting a commissar cap yet, but I've flattened the top of his head in anticipation of it.

The rokkit's obviously huge, but that's intended. Just going to be figuring this out as I go, I suppose. Legs don't seem like a bad thing to work on next so I can figure out what angle he's going to be at for the jacket, etc. The slugga's a bit modified, half because I can't leave well enough alone, and half because the listing in his codex mentions a 'personalized slugga' which he uses to execute morale-failing orks, commissar style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -47 (x0)

That just looks silly!
    But cool idea, zagstrack (or whatever) is a bit of a monster, and what's a super rokkit?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. January 13th, 2008, 22:33
  2. January 13th, 2008, 17:37
  3. January 13th, 2008, 05:50
  4. January 13th, 2008, 03:37