Tyranid tips - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyranid tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranid tips

Hey guys! ^^ I was never good at painting and I doubt I am now (after taking ~ half a year out) so could anyone give me some advice for painting my nid sceme? Using my (/begin sarcasm) amazing MS paint skills (/end sarcasm) I'll portray you the sceme I hope to use:

So could anyone give me tips on how to mix colours and add in the white highlights along the tail + body?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

You seem to have a decent eye for where the highlights should fall; that's a good start. If you really are going for the PVC gimp suited look then I cannot offer much help; it is not somthing I do a lot. I always hilight black towards Kommando Khaki which looks especially good on organic surfaces, I'ld hilight the chitionou carapace the same way to draw the colours together. Most of the time careful layering looks best; drybrushing looks better if you are poor and blending when you are good but when fair or really good it is layers that yield results. As for the red I'ld recomend: Crimson Gore hilighted with Blood red and given a red ink.
    When mixing colours water down your paint (as standard) and have a little soap in your water.
    Those are my thoughts, I'm sure I can offer more if I am pushed and asked more specific questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, thanks very much! ^^ I suppose with your advice I'll have to take a trip down to GW again and get some paint...and a brush...

Speaking of brushes and paints I do have a few questions! :

Which brushes would you reccomend? I always go in and tend to go for the ones that have a more gloss appearance and when I get home realise I've bought the wrong one :/ Are there any particular brushes I should be getting in order to paint gaunts?

And also, how much should I water down the paint for blending? Is there a measurable amount?

Thanks once again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

That drawing is good effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Well I get my brushes from GW and only use a standard brush so that's all I can really recomend. If you take care of it then it can last for about a year's painting (depending on how much you do).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Magila ^^ It turned out alot better than I hoped it would!

Okay Walex, I shall purchase a standard brush when I begin painting.

Thanks for all the help!

loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I would suggest getting the fine paint brush set. It comes with three fine brushes. Then also get the chaos black spray paint. I like your scheme:ballon:
    The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Also I would say hawk turquoise and ultramarine blue for the blues. Plus you can mix those with whit to get your highlighting color.
    The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay ^^ I should be able to borrow the paints, spray paint I'll need...Brushes also

Thanks for all the help guys ^_^ And for help with how to paint it! Very much appreciated

Aliens ate my soul. Chubby_Jedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    358 (x6)

I like your colour scheme, it’s very close to mine. Mines red and black mind.
    I have also gone for the shiney look as nids are aliens and the idea of them covered in goo is o.k. Here are some tips I've learned over the last four months of painting them are

1) Have 3 brushs, 1 standard size and 1 detail brush and 1 small dry brush.

2) You are doing a horde army, so in a 1000pt battle you could be putting over 50 models on the board. Always keep that in mind. Tiny mistakes should be overlooked, people wont even
    see them as they will always look at the horde as whole, save your time for your big guys.

3 )Try to buy and build all your army in one go. It helped me.

4) Always stick sand to the base before your basecoat them.

5) Use black spray and then go over the mini in watered down black paint.
    Then dry brush the whole mini in foundation grey, make sure you dry brush the sandy base aswell.

6) Always paint a brood at a time. its very easy to start on your gaunts then to get bored and move on half way through. Try painting all your troop choices first then move on to the fun stuff.

7) Use one colour scheme on everything. From your hive tyrant to your 5pt gaunts.
    I have a simple rule when I was painting my minis, legs, arms and faces are gore red,
    claws, horns and teeth are bleached bone, everthing else is black.

Once painted, use gloss varnish from a spray can. the little pots which can be brushed on
    should not be used, it takes ages and looks messy. Spray is always better.

9)If you have any spare minis lying around, try adding them as hepless victims on the bases of you big guys. Zombie parts are great for this. To make good looking blood. Simply paint
    the viticm as you would if he wasn’t cut to ribbons, then paint the basic shape of the wound and bloodloss with foundation red, then go over this with red gore then use the potted gloss varnish to cover the red gore.
    Be careful not to to use the varnish on other parts of the model or he will look like he has been slimed.
    But the blood will look nice and wet forever.
    Hope this helps, I promise to add some pictures of mine after xmas as im waiting for a new camera.
    Good luck with your horde!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I AM BOOMER!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast