Casting and moulding? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Casting and moulding?

Some time in the (frankly not very near) future I plan to build mysef a guard army that I like the look of without it costing the world. The plan is to sculpt a few guard and to cast up more. The problem is that I have no idea how to make a suitable mould- what to use or how to go about it. If anybody has any experiance in miniature replication then please do share your secrets I will be much appreciative.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this gets passed the mods, I can provide some good links to suppliers and guides... but I am not sure about LO's stance on casting GW bits.

I know different forum's have different policies.
    Nothing to see here, please move along.
    Thank you.

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

He's talking about totally self-sculpted stuff. Right?

Now that we've got that cleared up, I've got some guidelines:

Don't use a urethane rubber for making a mold. Use silicone. More expensive, but it doesn't stick like a bastard to the resin (which damages the mold and results in loss of detail). I'd recommend you look for a 1:1 volume mix, which is much easier than crap like 100:1 weight.

Also, what casting resin you use matters much less- I just use Alumilite casting resin.

http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

There's a guide to get you started.
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

Thanks the both of you, It's all above board self sculpts; or will be anyway. I can't see any reason to remove that.
    I respect intelectual property, if I can't afford somone else's then I'll use my own.
    Thanks for the help (again).
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will not even try to provode a lesson here on mod making and casting, there are many resources available. When i looked into the skill, I found some sites better then others; here are some links that may be of use:

->Hirstarts<- have some excellent advice on mold making, making plans. Check out the helpful buttons at the bottom of the front page.

->Slymasta<- is a great online source of raw materials and includes one of the best guides with ->Casting Instructions<-

Finally, if you have read the above links, you will have realised Silicone RTV 4420 is probably the best mold material for the cost/usage for us. ->Smooth-On<- is an online supplier that distrubutes a wide variety of RTV Silicone through international distributors.
    Nothing to see here, please move along.
    Thank you.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Be very, very careful with these sorts of things. Since it has been stated that you're only using your own, 100% original sculpts, then I'm going to leave this, but molding and casting is an extremely delicate issue. Just be careful with this on our site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x1)

As an aside to all this, GE Silicones will provide you with free samples of their rubber - look them up online. I was sent a huge 5 gallon bucket of the compound, and a smaller jug of the catalyst for free by calling them and asking for a sample. It is not as easy as some of the smooth-on products that have a 1 to 1 ratio. The GE stuff is 10 to 1 ratio by weight, so scales are needed to get the mixture right. Smooth-on's OOMOO products are great, and can be easily mixed by sight. Obviously I use the free stuff now. Five Gallons makes a lot of moulds. Sorry for not posting a link. I will look it up and post later.

-T

[EDIT: As promised, a link: GE Silicones]

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

Be sure that if you are going to make a mold, make sure the models is purely yours. No using GW pieces mixed with your own (that would be a legal no no).
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called GE Silicones and talked to the opperator and asked for a sample. Unfourtunately When asked what company I worked for I told them I was a collage student and they told me they couldnt offer samples to anyone that was affilliated with a University. Oops. Get a story ready for them and dont tell them you are a student or just using it for personal uses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -47 (x0)

This is cool.
    I'm totally gonna do this sorta thing, I hate the Cadian helmets, so I'll just cast my own.

Helmets that it.

+ Reply to Thread