Vallejo paints: Green colours don't cover at all? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

Vallejo paints: Green colours don't cover at all?

I'm starting my first unit that has a green scheme (an unconventional set of warp spiders) and i've noticed that no matter which green I grab, they all tend to pull together, not going on where i put them, and they all seem to be VERY thin. i'm shaking the crap out of them before using them and i've even added an agitator to each of the bottles just in case.

It's a little better when i'm painting on armory primer which has a definite chalky, rough texture to it, but on my normal primers (painter's touch mat black and gray primer) it just makes big ugly pools.

I've been putting the drops from the bottle on my wet pallette like i always do, and i'm basically using the paint unthinned right now.

Is it the paint? is it the primer? is it me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in but it sounds to me like something in that green paint does not like that primer at all.

Reminds me of when I used Dupli-color sandable primer on some of my tyranid troops and then tried to do a dark red base coat... Darn paint wouldn't stick right though I eventually managed. It was like the primer was too smooth and maybe even a little bit waxy.

Of course, your problem sounds more severe... I guess the other colors stick fine?

I would try a different primer.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Undersecretary of Decay Radioactivejack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried the GW Skull White? I have tried a few brands of primer (always white for me) and I have found that the GW is best for how I use it. I have a few vallejo paints, unfortunatley not green, and I have not had problems. Give it a try.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Another thing that you can do to save repriming is find a colour quite close to the green that does cover well, and mix that in. It will change the colour a bit, but you should be able to settle on a colour close to what you want.

I have used it with some of GW's yellow colours, mixing a bit of skull white in with them, tends to change the consistency and make them cover a bit better.
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in but it sounds to me like something in that green paint does not like that primer at all.

Reminds me of when I used Dupli-color sandable primer on some of my tyranid troops and then tried to do a dark red base coat... Darn paint wouldn't stick right though I eventually managed. It was like the primer was too smooth and maybe even a little bit waxy.

Of course, your problem sounds more severe... I guess the other colors stick fine?

I would try a different primer.
    actually, the painter's choice stuff is made by rust-o-leum, and thinking back to it, i think i had a can of satin and a can of matt, and this is the satin stuff. the gray primer i tried to paint it onto was from the same company actually, so that's not a great test.

Maybe what i'll do is just reprime them with a very light coat of a different type of primer. it wouldn't take that long, so long as i find one that is more compatible with the paint i'd be ok.

Either that, or i'll just go buy a can of the foundation green and use that as a base. i'm not married to any one shade in particular at this point.

thanks everyone!!

+ Reply to Thread