Ink wash light colors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Ink wash light colors?

Hey, I am just starting to finally paint my Tau army and I want to use the Bork'an sept colors which means the armor is Space Wolves Grey. It is being painted over white primer.

For those that don't know, Space Wolves Grey is a very lightly colored pale, cold blue almost bordering on white. I love the color.

What I want is to basically highlight the grooves in the armor plates and I tried making watered down paint seep into the cracks (this worked great on my Tyranids) but it wouldn't work so well in this case and it stained the surrounding area.

I tried painting the grooves first with a darker color and then dry brush the grey, but then it doesn't seem to cover properly because it is so light and multiple coats take alot of time.

Now, the only thing I can think to try is a light ink wash to bring out the texture and detail. I know this is sacrilege to those of you who are really good painters, but I simply want a decent looking tabletop army and I don't have tons of free time.

Question is, will this ruin or stain the light color? Any other suggestions?

-Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

When I painted my space wolves, I used a watered down(at least 5 or 6 to 1) brown ink wash to darken the creases and cracks. It DID take some of the blue away, but left the majority of the color intact.
    I went back over any parts that didn't look "SWG enough" to my eyes and highlighted them .
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

How about first paint, then ink (or wash) the grooves and finish it all of by drybrushing the edges around the grooves with SpaceWolf gray + Skull White?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Both excellent suggestions. Hmm.... first off I hadn't considered ink other than black. Now I am thinking blue or blue/black mixed... It is supposed to be an ice world and I love the blue tine of the SWG. Hopefully it won't overdo it though, if so I can just use black or brown. And with ink I usually dilute at least 4 to 1 if not as much as 10 to 1

And then touching up the armor by drybrusing it SWG. It's almost too perfect a plan... Now to try it but I have to buy the ink.

Thanks!! Not that either of you need rep from me, but...
    -Thread Killer Bryan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

So consider this. Blue inking over space wolf blue will bring out MORE blue in the cracks/crevices rather than shade them, and I'm not sure you're trying for that. you're trying to give definition to the armor and hidden areas, right? When you ink for shading, you want to use a complementary color. Browns are usually good because they are a very neutral color that will generally go with everything, and "warm up" the model quite nicely. Black will leave it looking "soiled" almost. My current "dip" for instant shading uses brown with a hint of black inks thinned down as above. This darkens the shading nicely without wrecking the colors already on it.
    The problem with the greys are that they are already a neutral color, SWG has a hint of blue, and most people want to try to preserve that "hint" rather than make it stand out strongly.

You might even try going for a darker shade of grey... say fortress or ghostly(I can't remember which one has the bluish tone, I think ghostly) and thin this down into a glaze almost and try it on for liquid shading.

To make a glaze/wash just take your color you want and thin it down so you can cover a model, see completely through it in the "flat" areas, while it pools in the cracks and crevices to darken it.
    I've had success with thinning down paints to about 5:1 or even 7:1 to do this depending on how strong the color I'm trying to glaze with.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

After a bajillion different tries at this myself with my marines, I find shadow grey mixed with a huge amount of Vallejo Glaze Medium and carefully "blacklined" into the crevasses with a fine brush produces good results. Just gotta make sure you don't load the brush up too much. Be sure to blot it so it doesn't run all over everything.

Also doesn't "sheen" like dried ink does.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

I am going to second the shadow grey. Though, I would water it down and use it as a wash like you would with an ink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

One could paint all the armour, depressions included, in shadow grey followed by an overbrush/ drybrush/ layer of SWG. That'll leave a darker colour in the recesses, maintain the blue tone and should cover quite well.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Walex View Post
    One could paint all the armour, depressions included, in shadow grey followed by an overbrush/ drybrush/ layer of SWG. That'll leave a darker colour in the recesses, maintain the blue tone and should cover quite well.
    *jumps up and down waving and shaking his head*

Yes, this works, but I find it is virtually impossible to "leave it in the recesses," and I wind up going back and blacklining anyway, each and every time. For me, it's easier just to basecoat the whole thing in SWG and blackline the recesses.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Thanks to all, this has been very helpful to me. I am by no means a great painter, and it is good to learn about the different possible techniques. I will likely try different things and go with what is easiest for me.

Ease and speed is slightly more important to me than end result, but only slightly. I want it to look good of course...

Thanks everyone!!! 8Y
    -Thread Killer Bryan

+ Reply to Thread