Forgeworld Dreadnought and Magnet Mounting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Forgeworld Dreadnought and Magnet Mounting

Has anyone else on here magnet mounted the weapons on their Chaos Dread from forgeworld?

I just got a Thousand Sons dread with a Lascannon and Missile Launcher arms and I'm thinking about Magnet mounting the arms and sensor pods so I can swap out weapons later on, but what I was wondering about is whether anyone has tried this and whether or not the arms are weighty enough to simply twist so they are pointing at the dirt instead of being held tight by the magnets. Any input would be wonderful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could always use two magnets...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    177 (x2)

Two magnets, gripping each other, are pretty strong.

Let me use this for an example: I modified a WarMachine Slayer Jack (all metal, and beefy solid chunks of metal), so that its shoulders pivoted. When I was making the thing, I had the same worries that you do; about the arms 'sagging'

But no worries! as long as you get 'rare earth' magnets, and they are reasonably large (I use ones that are about straw-sized in diameter (check out the levitating piranha thread to see them), nothing as feeble as gravity can make it move, it will take a firm finger pressure.

..in fact, I could show off the strength of the magnets... by picking the entire model (all metal) up BY the arm, and in that case the magnets are holding up the rest of the model!

Thats how things should work for you as well. Forgeworld is resin, if I recall, which is much less weighty that pewter.
    Tau

An elementary particle of the lepton family, having a mass about 3,550 times that of the electron, a negative electric charge, and a mean lifetime of 3 x 10-13 seconds in close combat.

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

if you dont want it to rotate, add a pin hole somewhere else on the joint and use copper rod on the other side. That way when you attach it, the pin keeps it locked in place.

Use copper since it is not magnetic. paper cliaps could work, but it might become a hassle when the pin keeps zapping to the opposite magnet.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

+ Reply to Thread