How'd they paint this??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How'd they paint this???

Could someone tell me how these were painted???

HERE

I am interested in painting the Crimson Templars but i was wondering how he did it???

Thanks a ton

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello joe!

well im very sure that the red parts were painted using Mechrite Red paint with a Red Gore highlight. the helmet is definitly painted skull white but in the recesses i think it has a red gore or maybe mechrite red wash?

hope this helps

Josh
    It is insufficiant that I succeed - All others must fail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought it was a red wash of some kind, i am thinking about doing this scheme only i don't know how to highlight white!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

It could be a brown ink wash. I don't think it is skull white but rather a bone white. Maybe a little skull white for the extreme highlights....

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Slow year? How did these win golden demon? I mean, they're good (better than what I'm painting at the moment, thats for sure), but from these pics they don't really seem golden demon quality.

Especially the terminators. Thats a very thick highlight he's got going there! What happened to blending? They don't look finished.

(Oh, and a warning about this years Australian golden demon, some of the mini's in there will be awesome, but I feel that there will be some winners that are, well, not so great. Was having a look at the entries, and wasn't that impressed with many that made it through to the final judging. Probably the direct result of releasing codex: chaos marines and apocalypse around the same time as the painting comp )

Unwanted rant over. :p

As for the red on the Crimson Templars, I'd say he started with a scab red base (maybe a little black mixed in) and slowly blended up with blood red. I'd almost say the very edges had tiny (tiny) amount of bleached bone mixed in, they look like there's a slight creamy/pink tint there, using this guy as a base to go by:

http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.co...old_large3.jpg

My skitarii red is almost the same colour (although I tend to go a little brighter in the end).

As for the white, hard to say. Maybe a base coat of bleached bone or probably deneb stone, with a wash of something brownish. Then he might have 'blacklined' more bleached bone over the top, and blending that up with skull white for that creamy white effect. I tend to paint my whites from fortress or codex grey, so i'm not sure.

Then again, I could be completely wrong on everything! Just havin' a go
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I saw these in person. They actually look very nice. Keep in mind the pictures are blown up and they are known for not taking the best pictures to begin with.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

And its staff. Not the top-of-the-cream GD painters.
    As for the painting, I agree with the Cadaver. Some experimenting with scab red, black and blood red (possibly a small ammount of red gore) should do the trick. Also, Vallejos' Crimson Red could be a good colour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Captain_Devon View Post
    i thought it was a red wash of some kind, i am thinking about doing this scheme only i don't know how to highlight white!!!
    You don't highlight white. You shade it.
    To me it looks like the white has been painted over some light brown, covered with Bleached Bone and then highlighted with pure white.

Also, for the armor I'm wondering if the highlight color isn't Tanned or Dark Flesh (looks like that to me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

you can do it either way

which bit you want to know? you ahve a red up there, the white for my money was done over scorched brown and graveyeard earth or similar
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    you can do it either way

which bit you want to know? you ahve a red up there, the white for my money was done over scorched brown and graveyeard earth or similar
    i would have to agree about the white, i do a lot of my white over brown or ice blue, so that i don't have to use a wash, it looks about like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast