Splata's Carnifex Brood - WIP - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Splata's Carnifex Brood - WIP

This is my brood as a work in progress.
    I have 5 carni's to make and this is the first 4.
    I plan on making the last one similar to the other dakkafexes but if there is some way that you guys reckon i could build on this idea and make it better then do speak up. For instance between builds 1 (black spray) and 2 (non-undercoated) I had decided that the back legs were a bit spindly and that they needed some beef, so i used the crushing claw arms for this.
    I also found it was a bit flat and a bit straight, so i made it on a bit more of a vertical angle but couldn't figure out how to make it more bent to the right or left.

This is the first time i've done 40K photography so if thre is a better angle or some advice then anyhitng is appreciated!

So without further ado.
    Heavy Carnifex 1 BS/VC:
    Standard build. Small arms as they are very underused and have been evolved out.

Heavy Carnifex 1 BS/VC:
    Flipped Torso so it stands higher. Small arms as they are very underused and have been evolved out.
    You may notice i don't use ammo feeders. I feel they look ugly, and are really difficult to get on the model and still ahve it doing something. So hence i'm goign with the line that the tyranids ahve deevolved arms and evolved a much better firing source. What it is yet I am still to decide.

Elite Carnifex 1 Dakka Fex:
    To enable it to scout terrain better it has larger legs in the form of spikes that will allow it to move/over throught terrain faster and with less disturbance. If a carni's claws get blunted I don't really think it matters anyway, the amount of muscle behind them will still punch through a tank... not that this has ScyTal's in any way other than show.

Not pleased with its back legs and a few other things.

Elite Carnifex 2 Dakka Fex:
    Same as above but with a few minor adjustments. Isn't entirly finished yet as I am going to add a destroyed brain gland to its back and make the spores into bullet wounds that have healed. With this fex I will have to explain to my opponent that it doesn't have regen, and that it is actually that it escaped from a Dark Eldar haemonoculus, hence the nail spike(replaced leg) another replaced claw at the back and the head is goign to be half metal. The brain gland will also have wires and such coming out of it.

This is also my first foray into GS, i only just bought my first pack a week ago and i'm loving it! So much fun! Although i can see the trechturous path of getting good at it ahead of me!

So any comments are welcomed. May be a few firsts for me, but critiquing is how you get better. Especially as i have another carni to build in the form of a DakkaFex - probably with this same build structure in mind.

Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -47 (x0)

I like the first and third ones.
    The second is ugly, I really hate the look when you flip the torso.
    The fourth, is just weird, I don't know what the Homonculi do other than torture, but would it really involve ripping a claw off a mindless creature and giving it a bionic?

If they like torture, they have no use for Tyranids, at least not large ones anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

I like those Spider'fexes. They'd go well with the Spidergaunts I saw earlier in the month.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

159 (x5)

I believe that they would winterous, a tyranid would still have a central nervous system and still feel pain, even if it's threshold was high. The fact that it can touch things and sense them means as such.

They also would love it as the carnifex is a reciever of psychic messages in the form of the hive mind and with the disruption of that and the adding of other scrambled messages and psychic torture it is probably that a carnifex could be subject to a great deal of pain from the haemonoculi.

the claw bit. Well the haemonoculi make talos' and this could be just that. A mindlesss creature that has been told what to do by the haemonoculi that built it, or some other mechanical device. A Carnifex would also be a prize to be fought against in the arenas in cormorragh
    Dear Game Developer,
    Signed Scissors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -47 (x0)

Ok you win.

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

Cool. I really like the last one
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

159 (x5)

sorry, i wasn't trying to win, mearly to explain why and how they couldbe of use to the DE and the fluff i created works.

Does anyone have any opinions on ways they could be improved? as they are not painted yet and changes are still possible.

For instance, Winterous, why don't you like nubmer 2? how could it be fixed?
    Dear Game Developer,
    Signed Scissors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -47 (x0)

I've just always hated the upside-down torso look.
    It's woefully hideous!
    If you want it to stand up, the best way is to do some conversion, make it looks real.

Like it is, the ribcage is open at the bottom, and tight at the top, reducing space for throat, arteries going to the brain, and the spinal cord. At the bottom, it's leaving his organs unsupported and vulnerable, in addition, getting in the way of leg movement, and preventing leaning down to run.

All you have to do to make it proper is GS the waist a bit, file down the carapace at the bottom, and alter the neck so it sticks up more, give him a saddleback so his head can stick up more.

+ Reply to Thread