What do you think so far? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think so far?

Hello all!

I recently picked up the battle for skull pass box after a 13 year hiatus from GW games (I used to play necromunda and collect chaos dwarves - so that may give you an idea) but never actually tried to really paint them.

Anyway I want to show you experienced lot how my paintings going so far and if anyone could give me any pointers on how I can improve.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...7/P2040039.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...7/P2040040.jpg

Theres a still a bit of spotting up I could do on each model.

Ive tried to highlight the raised areas of the night gobbos robes with 'drybrushing' white across it quickly. The bases were dunked in sand, undercoated black by hand, then painted gun metal across

How should I hightlight other areas of the models (ive only got a limited selection of paints at the moment)

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are not bad, especially for a first go. Two things stand out right away. First, carefull with the teeth, bright globs of white paint tend to jump out at you. Try painting them lightly with a watered down yellow and then maybe get some "bleached bone" and lightly paint them, leaving the base of the teeth a yellow color (simple and give the illusion of disgusting dirty teeth... hhaha). And for the drybrushing, try using a little less paint on your brush. You can see the heavy brush strokes where you should only really see a slighly lighter color on the raised parts of the robes.

Other than that, you have some nice clean lines and a nice uniform look throughout the group. Keep up the good work,.

-Razal19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My paint supply is pretty limited at the moment, Im sure I dont have bleached bone though unless it was one of the un-named paints in the skull pass box set.

I can see what your saying about the teeth though - I guess white pearly teeth dont match goblins too well. Ill try your way out.

The dry-brushing technique is something Im only just getting used to and dont know how to water it down exactly. Just dip the brush in water?

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Firstly I'd like to say they look really nice for being the first ones (or first ones in a long time).
    Now, here comes the advice

First thing that caught my eye was the bases, they look quite good I must say, from an aestetich point of view, but they also look like if they'd be quite hard to rank up as they are a fair bit broader than they aer supposed to be.
    I think you should try to keep the extra material on the toparea instead of the sides...from a gaming point that is.
    Next is the drybrushing. It's all in the title really. Dry. You've done like me and many with me in the beginning of our painting career, just brushed. If you take some extra time to get the brush dry and make sure the bristles are seperated from each other you'll get a far softer layer. It'll take some time though to get the hang of it, but once you've mastered it, you'll have a great technique for masspainting.

Then it's the watering down.
    It's really as simple as it sounds. Add a drop of water on your palette (I assume you use a palette or something with the same function, it could be a plate or whatever) then add some paint to your brush. Dip the tip of the brush in the water, let the bristles suck some of it in, then make a few trial-strokes on the palette. You'll notice how the paint gets thinner and more easy to handle.
    Now experiment with bot water and drybrushing.

You can get a great result from combining drybrushing and really thin paint (a wash as we call it).
    First paint the model with the base colour -use thin colour as it's far easier to control.
    Once you've made a couple of layers (as the thin paint naturally don't give the same cover as a thick paint would) and they have dried, drybrush the highlights. Then use a wash of the basecolour all over the area and the two different colours (base and highlight) will come together in a soft and nice way.

You could also have a go on the teeth with a wash of brown or yellow...the teeth of the mini that is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus View Post
    Firstly I'd like to say they look really nice for being the first ones (or first ones in a long time).
    Now, here comes the advice

First thing that caught my eye was the bases, they look quite good I must say, from an aestetich point of view, but they also look like if they'd be quite hard to rank up as they are a fair bit broader than they aer supposed to be.
    I think you should try to keep the extra material on the toparea instead of the sides...from a gaming point that is.
    Next is the drybrushing. It's all in the title really. Dry. You've done like me and many with me in the beginning of our painting career, just brushed. If you take some extra time to get the brush dry and make sure the bristles are seperated from each other you'll get a far softer layer. It'll take some time though to get the hang of it, but once you've mastered it, you'll have a great technique for masspainting.

Then it's the watering down.
    It's really as simple as it sounds. Add a drop of water on your palette (I assume you use a palette or something with the same function, it could be a plate or whatever) then add some paint to your brush. Dip the tip of the brush in the water, let the bristles suck some of it in, then make a few trial-strokes on the palette. You'll notice how the paint gets thinner and more easy to handle.
    Now experiment with bot water and drybrushing.

You can get a great result from combining drybrushing and really thin paint (a wash as we call it).
    First paint the model with the base colour -use thin colour as it's far easier to control.
    Once you've made a couple of layers (as the thin paint naturally don't give the same cover as a thick paint would) and they have dried, drybrush the highlights. Then use a wash of the basecolour all over the area and the two different colours (base and highlight) will come together in a soft and nice way.

You could also have a go on the teeth with a wash of brown or yellow...the teeth of the mini that is...
    Ill give that a go. At the moment Im only painting the rank and file troops before I attempt the special figures (Heros, bosses, standard bearers etc.

Should I get smaller brushes for this sort of thing? Ive only got the big ones that came with the above ones.

Also when you say a thin colour - do you mean a watered down paint or a light colour such as yellow or white?
    Last edited by Mojorising; February 4th, 2008 at 23:14. Reason: Asked further questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

RE original post: I think washes may well be the thing for you sir. Also why did you do the bases metallic?

RE last post: Thin means with water generally speaking. The smaller the brushes you have the smaller the details you can paint, it's up to you how you want to do things, I'ld be lost without my standard brush. Do keep us posted when it comes to doing the fancier stuff, we may well have some handy advice for you.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walex View Post
    RE original post: I think washes may well be the thing for you sir. Also why did you do the bases metallic?

RE last post: Thin means with water generally speaking. The smaller the brushes you have the smaller the details you can paint, it's up to you how you want to do things, I'ld be lost without my standard brush. Do keep us posted when it comes to doing the fancier stuff, we may well have some handy advice for you.
    I did one base green but wasnt happy with the result so tried a metallic base and it looked impressive on its own.

But now that Ive got a bunch of them like that I think the bases look a bit too much when all together so maybe I should try again with the grass and such.

+ Reply to Thread