Mud Bases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mud Bases

Guernsey, UK
    1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

Mud Bases

Hey Guys!

I've just started putting together my Guard army, and am trying to give them a muddy feel to them. I found the Death Corps of Krieg modles, and although I am not using them, I liked the idea of the 'world war I' themed models, and the trench warfare.

Anyway, I was wondering what tips people had for giving bases a real wet muddy feel to them, and if anyone had any pictures of models they had done with the same idea?

Thanks in advance,

2. Remove Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Ronneby (Sweden)
    3 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

746 (x8)

I took the liberty to quote Undeadair, the master of mud. You can make a search for his threads in the painting forum and marvelous pics will rain upon you. His IG-threads are the muddy ones. Like he said to good Ash "Hope it helps"

Quote Originally Posted by Undeadair
    You know, I almost resent that more people ask me about the damn mud on my models than anything else! ha! Just kidding. However, people seem to like the mud, so here's what I do. I'm going to write this as if I was talking to a newbie so anyone can do this:

1) Minwax Stainable Wood Filler (Tube)
    2) Black craft paint
    3) GW Graveyard Earth
    4) GW Bleached Bone
    5) a handful of crappy, destroyed brushes
    6) Paper Towels

The Wood Filler comes in a bright yellow tube. I'm not sure of it's availability outside of the states, however it should be easy enough to find an equivalent. In the US, it's available 24 hours a day at your local Wal-Mart for $6.

The Steps:

1) Squeeze a liberal amount of Wood Filler onto a small stack of paper towels. Use an old brush to smear it onto your base. Repeat this procees until the base is completely covered. Since it takes an hour or more (depending on how much you use) to completely cure, you have a lot of time to gouge, poke, prod and otherwise "sculpt" the materal onto your base to make it look as "mud like" as possible. The best part is, you certainly don't have to do much. It's very muddy in its consistency and
    is perfect for this job. Feel free to add in any bits and debris you'd like at this point.

Ok, I suppose that was a few steps all in one. Now, after the filler has set:

2) Use your Black craft paint and basecoat the entire area. There's absolutely no point in wasting your precious (and EXPENSIVE) GW paints here. Just slather it on, making sure to get into any nooks and crannies. I do this all while the model is on the base. If you get some paint (or Wood Filler) onto the model's feet, it's ok. You can make it look like mud later!

2) Mix a bit of Graveyard Earth into your black paint (For this step I use Reaper Master Series "Dark Shadow") and HEAVILY drybrush it onto the base. Make sure the deepest cracks remain black, to create an additional layer of depth. Also, since the center of the base is more difficult to reach, the darker the better as this is where the model would be casting a shadow if the light source is at "high noon".

Around the edges of the base is where the mud would be "brighter" so feel free to drybrush a little extra onto these parts.

3) Continue the process using progressively lighter shades, and decreasing the amount of pressure on the brush. Go from Black/Graveyard Earth mix to plain Graveyard Earth, then start mixing in Bleached Bone and eventually lightly dust the very edge with plain Bleached Bone. The point of all this is to make the middle of the base darker and the edges lighter.

If you got any paint onto your model, you can extend the mud effect in the same way using the same paints by using highlight technique. Take a look at any of my Guard models to see an example.

Hope this helps!

+ Reply to Thread