Miasmas Cities o' Death stuff - WIP (slightly pic heavy) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Miasmas Cities o' Death stuff - WIP (slightly pic heavy)

I'm currently living in Japan. On a clear day I can see Fujisan but I am a good 4 hours from Tokyo and even further from Okinawa, where there seem to be a lot of things going on in the hobby.

As such I am making a few scenery pieces so I can con one of my friends or workmates into playing with me to tide me over until I discover a local, english speaking player.

Making scenery and building stuff is therapeutic for me so here are a few things i'm working on.

First up is a ruined building made completely of blue insulation foam. The pins are only in place until the glue dries.

Picture of the front.

Everything is made from a piece of 2cm insulation foam. The pillars are made of 2 pieces glued together. Once the glue dried, I cut a 4cm piece. I don't have a wire cutter, so I cut it with a knife. It's a bugger of a thing to do because if you use a thin blade, for ease of cutting, it tends to bend and make the cut uneven. If you go with a thick knife, it's a bit straighter, but much, much harder going.

This building was a pleasure to do and I drew up a rough plan, but given this was the first time i've worked with this foam stuff, I mostly just chopped up bits of foam and had a poke around to see what went where best.

Though it's very much a WIP! i'm happy with it at the moment. I plan to make a piece of smashed door still hanging from the hinges in the arch and maybe breaking down the areas near the windows
    and putting a few sandbags in place. It needs a good coat of rubble and sand, plus some scoring into the foam to represent floor tiles.

My next piece was inspired by drinking waaaaay too much coffee and reading scenery forums, to get some inspiration (can you tell I have a lot of free time?)

It's made from a can of demitasse coffee, hot from the vending machine.

I used a thick plasticard circle to cover the opening in the top after the cardboard I used went all soggy and bumpy on me. The bands are thin plasticard glued around the circumference of the can. The closest end needed a few layers as there was a big dip toward the top of the can. Mendokusai.

I cut many, many rivets and glued them on. The ones that I cut a bit too thick got used as buttons on the front panel. I plan on putting some gauges on the front in my next step. Also there will be two more cables running out of the bottom of the control panel going who knows where

The big plate is wood with little hex nuts from the Gundam range of bits and pieces.

Oddly enough I just whacked the bands on where they looked right but when I measured them, there's only a mm difference between the first and second gap between bands. The power of eyeballing! I thought my estimating range was dead after not having played in so long.

The control panel with all the buttons has 3 wires running out of it. The first goes inside the tank, like an internal pressure sensor, the second will go into the pipe and tap that will be added to the wood plate you see and the third will go to some kind of power relay or other. I also want to make a bracket to hold the thing.

I have some plasticard H beam and some L stuff as well but no great ideas. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

That is a very nice ruin, very professional looking and remiscent of the 'Gothic Ruins' that GW produce (the ones out of 3rd ed). The door frame also looks rather good - I can see this being some kind of ruined shrine or something. You have done extrememely well with the detail on the foam as well.
    Texturing before painting it would really bring the piece out, and for added appeal you should do the 'runes' one the inside (at least that's what I think they were) in a glowing red or something.
    Can't wait to see what else you churn out, nor when it is fully painted.
    Rep for you!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Is that foam in particular firm but soft with the right pressure? Because I have something that looks SO similiar in the spare room, but its terrible to cut with a knife.
    Did you use a hot wire to cut that? It looks real nice, especially the barrel with the control panel awesome.

Maybe place the H beans directly under it, just 2 of them to make it look slightly stable, and use the L beams on the 4 corners to hold it up, or do it without the H beams in the middle and instead have them length wise between the L beams for stability?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Thanks for that, Exarch Thomo.

My inspiration for this piece comes from this horrendously talented german guy here

Translated version of http://www.fantasy-gelaende-modelle.de/40k/seite_2.htm

He has how-to's for many of his pieces and a whole modular board, at an angle, which I am totally gonna try when i have a place big enough.

The runes inside, in the third picture are Japanese. they say 'kudasai', which is please. On the rock underneath it says 'wa'. My friend Masaki thought it was funny... "Kudasai Wa" it's like gibberish talk. He's a bit weird anyway

Maybe I can combine them into some Japanese/Chaos scribblins that look like they've been written in blood. Fresh blood, with a big splat down the bottom. Hmmm...

Hi omgitsduane

Should be the same but who knows. I can't read the Kanji on it to tell exactly what it's made from but i'd guess they'd be reasonably similar. It is a right pain in the jaxie to cut, as i've said but with a little patience, I managed some pretty smooth cuts just with a sharp Tamiya craft knife.

Thanks for the idea with the beams. I might try whacking something together after I make nachos with Wasabi flavoured Doritos! Bwahahaha!
    Last edited by miasma; February 15th, 2008 at 12:02.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by miasma View Post
    Thanks for the idea with the beams. I might try whacking something together after I make nachos with Wasabi flavoured Doritos! Bwahahaha!
    Oh dude thats crazy, did you really cut it with just a regular knife? I've tried cutting the stuff I have and it sort of goes flakey, but maybe I was just in a rush... Because I was in a rush.
    Make sure you get more pics when you're finished with the barrel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Very nice - I hope that the blue foam is sturdy enough.

Ash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    333 (x5)

Great work so far, I've been thinking about doing some scenery like this myself for some time so this is very inspiring stuff for me.
    The link to the German chaps site was very helpful, its amazing what can be made from bits of card and foam, plus some paint; not to mention a lot of patience and the foresight to think it all up in the first place!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

262 (x7)

Looking great so far, keep it up
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

255 (x6)

I really like your work on the cup. I don't know what it is, but it looks quite industrial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Uppity-McDate

Hey all.

I've managed to get a little more work on my piece done and have some pic love for you all. The focus has been on adding more detail. The stone work around the edges and especially on the stone steps, done with a ball point pen.

On reflection, that is something to do BEFORE you start sticking debris and rocks down. We learn, don't we.

I've put in a few reinforced bars poking out of the smashed up plascrete, using 1.5mm Plastruct rod. I noticed that when you grip the rod diagonally with pliers, it leaves marks. Then you grip it the other way and you get an indented criss-cross pattern. Not too fiddly to do and it looks great. Unfortunately my cameras macro function begs to differ.

I added the inside part of a door frame and I plan to make a smashed remainder of door, hanging solemnly by one hinge with bits of timber littering the floor.

Here are the pics!

In this pic above, I was going for the pillar riddled by large machinegun fire, not unlike the final scene in 'Ghost in the Shell' where the giant crab-tank tries to perforate the major with triple barreled rotary cannon doomy death. Such an enduring image as the pillars are whittled away and the reo-bars give off sprays of blue sparks. Awesome.

It's much harder to do with foam and a pokey stick than it is to do it with two huge tank-mounted miniguns and some concrete pillars. Harrumph.

Two big holes from sniper/lascannon fire. The top left piece of reo-bar only goes a little down into the hole, where the rest has been blasted away, and continues down into the base of the pillar.

...which is much more visible here, as you can trace the funnel-like path where the round has blown a hole through the pillar. Mmm... 20mm anti-materiel rifles.

That's all for now. This week i'll get some more rubble onto it, and perhaps a bit of paint too.

Any ideas for things lying around on the ground? Bits of wood and broken tiles are fine, but i'd like something a bit unusual, a bit characterful. Go on... massage your brain-meats and let me know.
    Eldar ~7k, Orks ~11k, Tyranids ~1k5, Space Wolves ~1k

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast