The Phantasm's Legacy - D.I.Y. Space Marine Chapter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    By the Silver Sword! Stormchaser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x3)

The Phantasm's Legacy - D.I.Y. Space Marine Chapter

Hi guys! One of my friends is paying me to paint his Space Marine chapter. He wants a dark colour scheme, with some bone bits, and a semi-vampiric theme. Here is the test marine. I haven't shown it to him yet, as I'd like yo hear what you guys think of it first:

I think I need to add a bit of black to the sides of the chapter badge to make it appear more skull-like

Codex: Legion Astartes - I am in need of Beta/proof readers and play testers
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Black lines around the eye sockets would make that appear a thousand times more like a skull, not putting you down for not doing it already, cos doing lines on the edges of things is the worst experience i've had so far. But it would make it amazingly super better! still nice colors though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

If it was on purpose that the black could be seen underneath the bleached bone then he is ok. If it was not then a layer or two would produce a very nice effect...

I am jealous of your friend though for not having thought of that...
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Floating around space finding and converting small planets into biomatter for the fleet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

Looks pretty good, although im not too sure about the red lining around the mouth vent. Obviously it's done to fit with the army theme but something just doesn't fit...

Main Armies: The Septem Edo Hivefleets || Da Mekanikus of Mek Skagnatz || Clan Skrawlskir of the White Rat || The Eternal Legion of Chlorr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might just be me but the red around the vent reminds me of lip stick and i think that is why i dont like it...on the whole however and good looking model

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I too do not think marines should wear lipstick (except Emporers Children). Your paint looks rather thick to me (like tar) marines should be smooth in my mind. The scheme's quite nice, just general neatening looks to be the way to go.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Walex View Post
    I too do not think marines should wear lipstick (except Emporers Children). Your paint looks rather thick to me (like tar) marines should be smooth in my mind. The scheme's quite nice, just general neatening looks to be the way to go.
    Yes watering down your paints would make it look much smoother and nicer. Nice paint scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x4)

* Thin down your paints. That is out of question. Just... do it.
    * Drop that red ring on the mouthpiece, makes them look like clowns rather than Marines.
    * For fast, easy AND nice-looking black, don't drybrush the highlights (looks crap) or paint them on (takes too much time). Just carefully paint the surface with gloss varnish, pay attention to not get it into the recessed areas between armor sections though, as that ruins the effect (if that happens, just paint black into them again). Look here and here for examples of how that can turn out (admittedly, not exceptional but should give you a general idea)
    * You can do the same for deep or strong colors - like your Midnight Blue.
    * For bone, paint solid Bleached Bone, apply a wash of a dark brown (like whatever that is you used for basecoat, Vermin Brown can work too) and then paint the raised areas with a light cover of thinned down Bleached Bone. Repeat with a Bleached Bone/Skull White mix for highlights.
    * For eyes, paint them Red Gore and put a dot of Blood Red to the front. Simple, but gives a menacing appearance.

By the Silver Sword! Stormchaser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x3)

Thanks for the input, Fifth Horseman, however, I get the impression you think I'm rather incompitent when it comes to painting.

For the most part, I do water down my paints, unless I feel they don't need it (usually when I've had it a while, and there's very little left.

I drybrushed the Bleached bone over the basecoat to make it look like actual bone, rather than bone coloured armour.

The red ring was only an experimental thing. I wanted to see how it looks. atm I'm 50/50. I'll see what my friend says.

I'll have to try the gloss varnish. That may work better with my method of painting
    Codex: Legion Astartes - I am in need of Beta/proof readers and play testers
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x4)

Thanks for the input, Fifth Horseman, however, I get the impression you think I'm rather incompitent when it comes to painting.
    That was my impression judging from the picture. I apologize if I have offended you.
    I drybrushed the Bleached bone over the basecoat to make it look like actual bone, rather than bone coloured armour.
    I understand the intent, but it doesn't seem to to work out on the most of the "bone" areas, with exception of the left kneepad (which looks quite bone-like indeed). Perhaps it has something to do with the direction of the motion you applied the drybrush with or how much paint was left on the brush.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast