Saw question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saw question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Saw question

I'm the proud owner of a recently released GW saw. This saw has worked great for me with two exceptions

1) it seems to have rusted since i used it to cut things. People have told me this is actually just plastic melted to the side of it because of the frction generated but i'm not so sure.

2) the teeth are starting to break off it, 5 in a row in places and this causes more strain on other teeth which in turn makes them more likely to break.

Does anyone know of another saw that performs the same funtion as the GW one except is cheaper/has replacable blades as i have become a little disgruntled with this one (even though i have said i would like to have its babies in the past)?

edit: pls note that i spared you all from any saw related puns

Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

It looks like it's rusted?? And people say it's actually melted plastic? Nope, not buying that.

I've been using various saws for years now, and I've never actually managed to saw through plastic so fast that it's melted with anything except for my Dremel. So unless you're a caffeine-addict hummingbird, you shouldn't have melted plastic at all. And even if you did, I fail to see how it would look like rust... Got any pics to share??

And as for the broken teeth, I'm not surprised at all. The teeth on those things always seemed too flimsy for my liking. Just one of a dozen or so reasons I'd never use one.

For my money, Zona saws are the best I've found. They're tough, effective, easy to use, and with their ultra thin series, the blade is a mere 0.008" (2/10ths of a millimeter) thick, meaning they don't destroy any more of the model than is absolutely necessary. And for extremely fine work, I love Hasegawa's Tritool series micro saws. They're made from thin photo-etched steel sheet - not much thicker than a piece of paper. You can actually split the fingers on a Marine's hand apart from one another without destroying the hand with these little gems!
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Zona brand razor saws have always been good to me. Couldn't say if they're available in your slice of the world. I like 42 tpi, fine. This size is not available as a replaceable blade, but I've hacked up dozens of metal minis with mine and performance doesn't seem degraded.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

I always used a standard iron saw, one of these:

but they aren't great. I saw (sic) the GW saw but i had my doubts; the usual doubts about gw stuff: it being expensive and it probably breaking soon.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I've losr

I have lost a single tooth on my saw, which I must admit I don't use for cutting plastic with. The plastic gums up the teeth and then they break. I have been nothing but impressed with mine so far but then perhaps this is a strong indication of my own inexperience rather than the quality of the GW article.

Nonetheless I love it and am busy in many conversions now since discovering the magic of cut metal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

159 (x5)

thanks guys, I have now got one on order from an online hobby store. The P&P is costing me a similar amount to the saw! $8.95 for the saw, damn thats so much better value than the GW one!

I'll try and get some photos of my GW one.

Interesting note about hte plastic gumming up the teeth. What do you use to cut plastic in that case?
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

For plastic most people use a craft knife
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x3)

You can use the GW clippers cuts plastic really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jewelers Saw

I have had good luck with a jewelers saw that I picked up at Hobby Town for under $20. It came with a pretty good sized blade that works well for cutting thick or large pieces and I picked up a set of superfine blades that have teeth so small I cant see them - I have to feel them to know which side to cut with.

The super fine blades are prone to break but they only cost about $3.50 for 12 and I can cut through 3 or 4 models with it before it breaks.

You can also change direction as you move through the model with the saw because the blade is so thin. It is excellent for cutting detailed shapes or where you don't have much room for error.
    Check out my blog for army pictures and more - The Hogs of War

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bobsacks
    I have had good luck with a jewelers saw that I picked up at Hobby Town for under $20. It came with a pretty good sized blade that works well for cutting thick or large pieces and I picked up a set of superfine blades that have teeth so small I cant see them - I have to feel them to know which side to cut with.

The super fine blades are prone to break but they only cost about $3.50 for 12 and I can cut through 3 or 4 models with it before it breaks.

You can also change direction as you move through the model with the saw because the blade is so thin. It is excellent for cutting detailed shapes or where you don't have much room for error.
    Today 05:25
    Just like bobsaks said, apart from the Hobby Town-thing. A Jewlers saw is absoluterly great.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)