Painting cast iron - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Inquisitor_Naravus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Painting cast iron

Does anyone know how to give metal a cast iron look? Thanks ahead

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Renaissance Man Inquisitor Earl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x2)

You could try a few things.

black undercoat with dark brown drybrush.

You could experiment with different amounts of brown, grey and possibly dark green drybrushing. Make sure its a really light drybrush though.

Painting dark brown and washing with black may work as well.

I'll give a few things a try tomorrow when im painting my baneblade. Ill see what works and report back.
    I am Inquisitor Earl, fear my sandwich!

My website: www.ferrus-workshops.com

My blog: ferrus-workshops-blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

cheers mate

Currently trying out boltgun metal with various washes and drybrushed colors.

BGM with Black and chestnut ink looks ok but not really a cast iron look.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Chaos Black undercoat then paint Tin Bitz and then drybrush Boltgun Metal. Nice rusty look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Do you mean the sand texture that is on cast iron? You just need to stipple some areas with thick paint, let it dry and lightly sand it. Then paint it normally.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor_Naravus View Post
    Does anyone know how to give metal a cast iron look? Thanks ahead
    Is there any chance of posting a photo of a mini or a real life image that you would like to copy? It might help get us on the same page and be better able to answer.

On the whole with metals you can mix a colour with boltgun to tinge it and then use inks to get the final result you're after.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

I mean both the texture and the coloration. I made a steampunk-esque warhound titan a few weeks ago and am just now getting around to the painting part of it. Decided on a cast iron look as was the most common metal used in victorian england. Next to brass...speaking of which, if anyone knows how to paint a weathered/burnished brass that could be useful as well.

Edit:
    Here are some pictures of what I'd eventually like to have (this is only coloration...not what I want to paint)
    http://www.frenchquartermarket.com/P...568-OW_lgA.jpg
    http://gothmagazine.com/blog/wp-cont...eyties_380.jpg (frame or keys)

maybe http://www.eager-beavers.net/images/074.jpg if I can't get a cast iron look.
    Last edited by Inquisitor_Naravus; February 22nd, 2008 at 22:17.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Ok- I'd start by mixing a bit of scorched brown and a hint of DA green in to tin bitz. You only want a hint of the metallic showing really. Drybrush that on fairly heavily. When it's dry through on a few washes of thinned scorched brown mixed with a bit of black ink, until it's as dark as you like. Finally give a very light drybrush of tinbitz on it's own- make sure this is super light, just catching the edges to give a little shine to the metal. I'd probably give it a dust of dullcoat to take a lot of the shine off too- notice how little shine there is to the metals in the picture.

Hope this helps!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

Inq, I know the look you're trying to achieve.
    Start with a black basecoat. (spray primer whatever)

Then, get flat black spray paint.
    hold it about 12 inches or so from the model.
    (yeah yeah, mask of anything you don't want to have the cast iron look,...)

Now, hold the spray nozzle in, but keep it pretty far from the model. only let the tip of the "cloud" of spray hit the model. (this should put only the lightest of paint coverage over the black primer base. THis will give the 'slightly bumpy" look of Cast iron. I know it doesn't look too much like it yet...read on.

Once you can physically see the little minute bumps of the black spray paint, and it looks pretty good, let it dry.

Once dry, water down some regular black paint 3-1 ratrio paint-water then go over the model brushing it on.
    THis will add the "petina" of cast iron THe paint will seal over and give the black solidness of the Cast Iron, while the small uneven underspray will give it the thickness and feel of cast iron

***BEWARE don't go nuts with these layers. too much will be ugly..real ugly. try this out on a sheet of sytrene or even an empty blister packet so you can see what i'm talking about.***

another way to do this is hold the can 6-8 inches away and triple tap the nozzle, it'll build up air between the paint com,ing out and it'll give the bump effect also, remember, too much....is not a good thing.
    Last edited by Shonuff; February 22nd, 2008 at 23:32. Reason: Spellcheck is my friend
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

+ Reply to Thread