Ideas for a war table I can hide? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for a war table I can hide?

I hope I'm posting on the right forum. I did a little searching and it seems as if little attention is given to the game table itself. Now that I own a house, I've got a little more liberty with where I play, but I don't want to have a game table set up all the time out in the open. I just don't have a dedicated room for it.

I was thinking about getting a large piece of plywood and putting some trim around it, like whats used for crown molding or something of that nature. Have one 6x4 section be for the games, and then maybe a small section for dice rolling, dead units, beverages, etc. It would be really neat to have it in sections so I could cart it out to my garage when it wasn't in use and could be put on the dining room table when I'm up for a game.

I found some roll out "grass" (kind of looks like felt) at hobby lobby for pretty cheap and I was considering pulling this over the top of the board, nailing down the molding around the edges, so that it looks clean and pulled tight. then I could perhaps put a sheet or something on the back of the board so it doesn't mess up my dining room table.

The only issue I see is a lack of flexibility for terrain. If I wanted to play in a city environment, I'd be stuck with grass everywhere. I play 40k, so I think a blasted landscape is more fitting. I suppose I could just deal with the discrepancy, though.

Not to get further long winded, has anyone done this kind of thing before? What is your war table like and how do you keep peace with your wife?

My Website: http://altbit.org
    My Librarium Blog: "For the Emperor"
    Opponent Search: Christopher

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Sounds fine. Think of a game table in componet pieces and you should get some creative idears. I have buit all kinda of tables over the years and can offer some suggestions.
    1. that green grass paper ( commonly used for model trains ) works great and once mounted on a solid board looks very high end.
    2. simple saw horses or party tables make a good solid foundation for any type tray table ( think big wood tray that you put diffrent terrain inserts into ) . the party tables work best for tables larger than 6feet because they are long and narrow
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...5/IMG_1070.jpg
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...5/IMG_1069.jpg
    these are a couple of tray tables I built for a friend they have a area of 4x4 and are about 3 inches deep. they are meant to stand on a saw horse. However these are pretty permanat and heavy , My next table project is going to be just the tray sides and a couple of brakets so I can fit a interchangeable tray mesuring 6x4 ( these boards are only a couple of inches thick so the store easy in my garage. the table will break down as well.)
    I would recomend any table is as light as possible ( mine were great till I had to move them by myself) and I love the tray method because I don't have to have a single terrain lay out for every game.
    hope that helps a bit ;Y

Thought for the day: A Burning Heretic , Will brighten the Decor of any room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply! Saw horses are a great idea and I've got a couple of them laying around.

I've been trying to come up with some way to change out those sheets of "grass", but I may just settle for green. I don't want to get too complicated with it.

I like the idea of some raised sides to hide the fact that i just pulled that sheeting tight and as a bit of a bumper if someone gets crazy with a dice roll. I was painting my dining room and noticed the trim around the floorboards and thought it might be a good idea. The local hardware store has some thats not as intricate as mine, but just a smooth curve at about 1/2" high.

Thanks for mentioning weight, too. I hadn't taken that into consideration. I'd like to be durable, but I'm sure I can find a lightweight section of wood to use. That or some kind of plastic. I've even entertained the notion of finding a 6x4 card table to cover in that "grass" stuff, but it may be too wobbly.

I think I'll cobble together some plans and maybe make a materials list. I'm no carpenter, but surely this can't be terribly difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

i've gone the 4x6 frames and painted route, and use sawhorses as legs for now. it's got it's ups and downs, because really, there aren't many places you can put a 4x6 that aren't in the way.

My next table will be much easier to store. I'm going to get some foamboard, cut it into 2x4' slices, making them interlocking (think big puzzle piece) so that i can configure them either as 4x6 or 4x8 or 4x4 (i play warmachine as well)

i'm then going to pick up one of these:

ZUZZY Miniatures - The Ruined Land - Terra-Flex Scourged Forest Gaming Mat

Likely a 4x6 one and a 2x4 one so that i can combine them in various sizes (for 4x4 i plan on just having it hang off the edges)

This will be a setup i can put in a closet easily, and will just set it on my dining room table when i want to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

I'll be mounting mine on a large wooden board, then storing it behind my desk when it's not in use, if that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by king88mob View Post
    i've gone the 4x6 frames and painted route, and use sawhorses as legs for now. it's got it's ups and downs, because really, there aren't many places you can put a 4x6 that aren't in the way.

My next table will be much easier to store. I'm going to get some foamboard, cut it into 2x4' slices, making them interlocking (think big puzzle piece) so that i can configure them either as 4x6 or 4x8 or 4x4 (i play warmachine as well)

i'm then going to pick up one of these:

ZUZZY Miniatures - The Ruined Land - Terra-Flex Scourged Forest Gaming Mat

Likely a 4x6 one and a 2x4 one so that i can combine them in various sizes (for 4x4 i plan on just having it hang off the edges)

This will be a setup i can put in a closet easily, and will just set it on my dining room table when i want to play.

dude save your money , a quick trip to your local paint store may be more benifical (textured wall paper ) is esentialy the same thing and come in a variety of lenghts. I am so-so on the small sections because they can drift apart during a game.

here is a great prefab board site to give you some idears.
    War Zone Gaming Terrain Systems - Custom wargaming terrain

Thought for the day: A Burning Heretic , Will brighten the Decor of any room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those rubber mats would be great, pre-painted. Though, it wouldn't be THAT hard to dry brush them.

I wonder how light those pre-fabs are. They look like they're scaled for mechwarrior, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Lots of ideas here, though. Foamboard on my dining room table might work out well, too.

Thanks for all the responses!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Another alternative, and one that gives you a bit of variety, is to do a double sided board.
    Personally I would make several 2'x4' Boards as this gives you more flexibility with games (smaller games = smaller boards) and is easier to store than a 6x4.
    If you can get your hands on that much sturdy foam use it as a base as it is nice and light - however it is often too light and does need to be weighed down with something.
    So, get a piece of mdf or something simillar in the desired size and glue the foam to it - this provides enough weight to stop the board from moving, but isn't overly heavy.
    For the double sided boards simply glue foam to both sides and paint both sides in textured paint - whatever colours you want (I have a grey and green 4x4 double sided board.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also if you go for foamboard remember to put duct tape around the edges to stop it from being damaged too easily.
    ----------------------------------------------
    IRON CHEF SCENEY II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Yes indeed, sorry I forgot to mention that. You can get large rolls of cloth tape quite cheaply as well - it is strong and durable and doesn't 'melt' like pvc tape.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast