Large Urban Base help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    152 (x2)

Large Urban Base help

For my 1st major conversion Im doing a biped defiler (oooo original, no?) and am having trouble with details on the base.

What is the best thing to use for crushed cars? Ive tried taking a hammer to hotwheels but Im looking for something that looks more realistic, broken windshield, doors and hood opened, etc.

Any ideas anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I'm not to great a fan of using cars in the 40K universe, they always seemed to add that toy-feeling I like to keep away from my sculpts.
    So, my advice would be to get some cheap secondhand Rhinos or something and use them instead.

It'd be mighty nice to see some pics of your Biped as I'm working on one too.

I'll use some City of Death pieces and old vehicle spares for my base...oh and tonnes of dead loyalists of course

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

152 (x2)

Yeah I did notice the kinda toy feel it gave. To be honest, Im not sure if they even still have cars, fluff wise. Ill look for a tank then.

And for the pics, its not completely done yet, but Ill see if I can get some work in progress pics. I kinda cheated on mine tho. My theme was a Khornate defiler where the daemon trapped in it had come free. It has a daemon head, muscles warping the machine, etc. I just put muscles and flesh over any areas I thought were sloppy or no other way to connect them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

There has been cars mentioned in the fluff and rules earlier. In the old Genestealer cult lists they were quite a colourfull thing. The Limosine driveby and the lorries... cool in it's own way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

I'm with Andusciassus on this one - the toy car approach might just detract from the model. I've seen some examples of this type of thing done in the past and it doesn't work so well IMO. An old rhino would work well, or any other tank for that matter. Also, SM bikes would be worth considering, a would a crashed land speeder.

If you do go for a car, try and 40K it up a bit and make it the industrial-gothic look the imperium loves so much.

Oh, and post some pics when you're finished!

Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by rp252 View Post
    I'm with Andusciassus on this one - the toy car approach might just detract from the model. I've seen some examples of this type of thing done in the past and it doesn't work so well IMO. An old rhino would work well, or any other tank for that matter. Also, SM bikes would be worth considering, a would a crashed land speeder.

If you do go for a car, try and 40K it up a bit and make it the industrial-gothic look the imperium loves so much.

Oh, and post some pics when you're finished!

Rich.
    Maybe try certain pieces from the Battle for Macragge Crashed Aquila Lander Shuttle Terrain? You get the whole sprue for quite cheap from BattleWagon Bitz. It'd turn out to be a rather large-sized base, but it's supposed to be a rather large machine anyways. I personally love the look of the bi-ped Defiler; thinking about making one for my loyalist marines to use as a Knight titan.

As far as the cars, yes, regular wheeled cars and vehicles still go exist. Read almost any Dan Abnett book, and you'll see them in use. The problem with the car models is two-fold: Scale and Looks. Most model cars are slightly larger than the 28mm models that would be employing them. Most model sports cars would are about the same size as a Rhino, which looks artificial. Most model cars can also be easily reconized as modern day cars. 40K cars would be similar, but wouldn't have a Ford or Chevy symbol emblem on the grill.

Anyways, thats just my 2 cents.

This was a triumph...
    I'm making a note here:
    HUGE SUCCESS
    Its hard to overstate my satisfaction.
    Adeptus Mechanicus;
    We do what we must because we can
    for the good all of us,
    except the ones who are dead...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

746 (x8)

The Aquila Lander, now there's a great idea I must say. Muchos thankos Son of the Forge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

152 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of The Forge View Post
    Maybe try certain pieces from the Battle for Macragge Crashed Aquila Lander Shuttle Terrain? You get the whole sprue for quite cheap from BattleWagon Bitz. It'd turn out to be a rather large-sized base, but it's supposed to be a rather large machine anyways. I personally love the look of the bi-ped Defiler; thinking about making one for my loyalist marines to use as a Knight titan.

As far as the cars, yes, regular wheeled cars and vehicles still go exist. Read almost any Dan Abnett book, and you'll see them in use. The problem with the car models is two-fold: Scale and Looks. Most model cars are slightly larger than the 28mm models that would be employing them. Most model sports cars would are about the same size as a Rhino, which looks artificial. Most model cars can also be easily reconized as modern day cars. 40K cars would be similar, but wouldn't have a Ford or Chevy symbol emblem on the grill.

Anyways, thats just my 2 cents.
    Thanks I'll have to check that out

+ Reply to Thread