Daemonhosts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daemonhosts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Daemonhosts

Well, ever since I got the DH codex, I've wanted to make some daemonhosts, but I'm incredibly slow to do anything, but now I've finally doodled some rough sketches together for ideas of what I want to make my Daemonhosts look like, because the GW ones pretty much suck as they are now, IMO.

First Daemonhost

Second Daemonhost

Now, for the first one, with wings, I was thinking of using wings from some of these models:

Games Workshop US Online Store

Games Workshop US Online Store

I'm not sure about the scale on the great eagle, so any help with that would be appreciated.

For the bodies, I'm fairly confident I can work something out for the first one since I'm covering almost all of it in straps, chains and icons, so aslong as I can get a decent head, I'm okay. The second one I'm more worried about. I haven't found any models in Inquisitor or the Warhammer ranges that really seem to fit it (and by the way, I want them to be bigger than a normal person, probably about normal Daemonhost size) So if anyone knows of any good models that I could use as a base, that would be great. Otherwise it looks like I'm stuck practicing my scupting skills :rofl

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer on how to pull the models off, and any C&C on my sketches is fine too.

Warrior

EDIT: oh, and sorry for the slightly blurry pictures, I was in a little of a rush taking them.

Last edited by Warrior47; March 6th, 2008 at 05:24.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

First of all, I am glad to see that you have a high interest in daemonhosts, as they are so very cool!

And I like your sketches. If I were to draw, I would have even less skill than a young orkling, whos work would look like masterpeices in comparison to mine.

On that note, I am not going to critisize really, but however suggest that the first one, simply looks like one of the current daemonhost models but with wings.

If you added in some more straps and whatnot, it would be a good model to base the conversion off of. After that, I have but one other suggestion...

For the wings, I would do them yourself, might take longer, but a very easy thing to do and very effective if done right, follow instructions at this link:

Feathers and Wings Tutorial

For leather straps and the such, Follow this link:

SCULPTING LEATHER OVER ARMOUR

After mastering both of those, you should be golden. Now the second one is on how to model leather for nurgle. I am sure using the ideas there, and a bit of creativeness, you could put them to good use!

I hope this helps!
    -Goblin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

Thanks for the reply goblin. I was thinking of using that model as a base (actually, without the weird goggles, I thought that model was actually decent), but I think I'm going to do a head swap and maybe cut off some of the weird protrusions, just cause I wanted that one to look more like a bound angel than some guy with elephantitis.

The links look good, I'm definately going to have to try that feather sculpting technique, although it looks pretty labor intensive.
    Last edited by Warrior47; March 6th, 2008 at 00:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Some good links up there!

I like the look of those two sketches Warrior; they should provide a basis for two cool daemonhosts. I'm not a fan of the GW ones either, but have never given much thought to making any. As you rightly said, the first one is simply a matter of getting a basic shape down and appling strips of GS to give it a strapped-down look. Several of the Flagellant heads (clicky) would do well (some are blindfolded etc). For the wings, the Pegasus ones (clicky) could prove useful but I feel they might be too big.

I would avoid using inquisitor models for these conversions - they are pretty big compared to 40k stuff and would likely look out of place.

The second guy also looks cool, and I can think of a few models you could use to represent him. None of them are GW though - you ok with Non-GW stuff or are you planning to use these in a tourney?

Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

I'm fine with non GW stuff. For the most part, I play informally, and anyway, what idiot would use daemonhosts in a tournament

I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47 View Post
    I'm fine with non GW stuff. For the most part, I play informally, and anyway, what idiot would use daemonhosts in a tournament
    Hahahaha

I thought of GW one actually, not a big model but convertible(ish):

Games Workshop Online Store — Male Spellsinger casting

Rackham
    • BLISTER • Musicien de Dirz
    • BOX • Asura de Sarlath
    Cynwäll echahïms - if you wanted a female one
    • BLISTER • Soïm - My favourite

There are a few to get you going. I'll have a look through some other ranges and see if any look promising.

Hope it helps mate

Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

Thanks a lot Rich. That last model, with a head swap and cutting off some of the excess cloth would be almost perfect. I'll have to figure something out for the legs, but that upper body is great. Some of those other models I'll definatly have to look at some more, but I'll keep looking around. Thanks again ;Y

PS: do you know of any pictures with those pegasus wings actually next to something for scale?
    Last edited by Warrior47; March 6th, 2008 at 00:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

258 (x5)
    Last edited by rp252; March 6th, 2008 at 01:12.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    Jaffar_Hasad:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really liked that second sketch Warrior47, looks like a daemonhost should.

If you wanted to use a GW model for a base I was thinking a Necron Nightbringer model would look interesting. You would have to do a hand swap. It's also abit more "robe-y" than your sketch suggests your going for, but other than that it looks interesting.

In fact I might just have to go start working on a daemonhost my self ;Y

Anyway hope that helped!

Nate

Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by rp252 View Post
    I would avoid using inquisitor models for these conversions - they are pretty big compared to 40k stuff and would likely look out of place.
    Maybe I missed something, where was it stated to use inquisitor models? I am lost!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast