Cutting Round Edges into Plasticard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Insert Witty Comment Here Goblin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Cutting Round Edges into Plasticard

Ok, so i have done lots of searches and found little that was helpful, I remember a GW article a while back that said how to do this, and have it bookmarked at home, but still found it helpless.

I understand to use a straight edge and exacto knife or suitable hobby knife to cut the plasticard in straight lines. But when it comes to cutting smooth transitions from straight to curved to straight, i find multiple difficulties, and as a result, I am wasting TONS of plasticard.

What should I do, is there anyone out there that has experimented with compass sets, or anyone out there who has developed some kind of device for cutting round and oval shapes into plasticard?

One more question. I designed some shapes on the computer that I wanted to cut out of plasticard. Upon printing them out, I then realized the problem. I can't seem to figure out how to cut them out properly from the plasticard. By that I mean that I have tried tracing them, and Tried taping them and cutting both those ways, and in both examples, they are either WAY too time consuming, or just don't turn out right every single time. Any ideas?

Oh and while I'm asking, I figured I would also ask about creating blades out of this stuff. If you look at scibor work, he uses plasticard to make parts of his blades. And he cuts them very well. I want to do similar blade designs, but if you look at the actual 'sharp' part of the blade, how does he cut it so well to that angle?

I am very lost, and all advice is welcomed! Thank you!
    -Goblin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

You could try blocking out the corner and then filing/sanding it down. As for the blades (I dont have personal experience with them) but I would imagine it's cutting it to he basic shape and then filing it.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

As for cutting the circles there is a tool that you can buy. It works like a compass but has a blade on one arm. Sounds like your best option for circles.

Looking at Scibor's images I'd say he likely cuts the rough shape of the blade and then files it into exactly what he wants.

Good luck and post your results!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Indeed, I'd love to see hear your experiences in this, looking forward to it.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    As for cutting the circles there is a tool that you can buy. It works like a compass but has a blade on one arm. Sounds like your best option for circles.

Looking at Scibor's images I'd say he likely cuts the rough shape of the blade and then files it into exactly what he wants.
    That is great! Thanks so much! I never thought of filling them!

Also, this tool you speak of, do you have a link to it? I would be very interested to see it! Thanks in advance!

-Goblin

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    That is great! Thanks so much! I never thought of filling them!

Also, this tool you speak of, do you have a link to it? I would be very interested to see it! Thanks in advance!

-Goblin
    Heh - yeah, I was going to say that if you can't find a compass cutting thingy, you can always cut down close to a circle and then just file it the rest of the way - thats how i'm currently making my imperial fists NON-ruined imperial city bases.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

What I've done on some of mine is basicly take some wire clippers. THen I cut off corners and trimmed till I got a decent curve. I then sanded it down with a file or sand paper, depending on how thick the plasticard was. Then for any fine touches or if I need a shape I can't get from the sand paper, I take a razor or exacto blade and run the plasticard allong it with the knife blade perpendicular to the plasticard to shave off some more stuff. This can make some rough notches, but I found that it was easier to shape details with it than with sand paper.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Here's one-

EMA Model Supplies - Olfa Compass Cutter

the same place sells the different coloured Necron Gauss rods, if anyone's interested (some-one else linked that! don't rep me!).

Edit: And here's another for big circles-

EMA Model Supplies - Olfa Circle Cutter
    Last edited by The Paint Monkey; March 7th, 2008 at 06:17.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    Here's one-

EMA Model Supplies - Olfa Compass Cutter

the same place sells the different coloured Necron Gauss rods, if anyone's interested (some-one else linked that! don't rep me!).
    Rep for being so honest.

Bwah hahaha.

Oh my.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x2)

Thanks so much! That is SOOO HELPFUL!

-Goblin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast