Orky Valentixes Gift - Gaming table money! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orky Valentixes Gift - Gaming table money!

Hi all;

Extremely long time lurker, and zero poster here, until now. Hopefully this will be satisfactory for my 1st post on these forums (well y forst 6 posts actually). I was just reading through some of the 1st page threads in this subforum, and thought I would post this table build incase there was anyone out there that could use it's design for their own construction.

*This is a cut'n'past job from the original thread when I did the build a few weeks back, from another forum.**

Roight ya zoggers! Sit back and listen ta me tale of an Orky Valentinez.

It all started in the afternoon of Valentinez Day. I was taking Mrs. DF to work and as she exited Da Green Limo she 'TOLD' me to go to our local DiY place and buy myself the items required to build my gaming table that I had been planning over the last month (meant to be next months 'threat' but meh). Off to Bunnings I go with the missus' keycard in hand, (She paid for all the materials!). This is what was purchased -

6x 244cm x 122cm MDF sheets, 0.9cm thick. - $21AU each - $19.18US.
    18x 240cm x 3.7cm x 7.2cm Pine beams. - $3AU each - $2.74US.
    2x packs of 50x 10cm screws - $15.95AU each - $14.57US.
    2x packs of 100 5cm screws - $5.95AU each - $5.43US.
    1x 750ml bottle of wood glue - $12.00AU - $10.96US.

Total cost - $235.80AU - $215.40US

*Price conversion to US$ done using current exchange rates $1.00AU = $0.913US*

Dis ere will make fer a fine mess o' mateerialz fer da Mek - thinks I.

I get home, unload everything and get to organising and measuring - no cutting/building just yet as it was fast approaching early evening and the weedy panzees in me area look down on da whirling and screaming of da circular saw/drill/jigsaw, etc etc at that late a time. I pick up Mrs. DF from work and bring her home to the small forest of wood products lining the floor of my garage/shed.

Looks like someone had fun - Said she.

Next morning I awake to the sound of - "You planning on working on this table or what?!" coming from Mrs. DF. It seems she had that day and the next (today) as RDO's and wanted to join me in my 'Mek'ing throes'.

These here are da planz that Big Mek GrubSpanna had organised:

Day 1 saw Mrs DF and myself workin' away feverishly. Measurin', Cuttin, Cursin, and measurin' and cuttin' again. (Ok that was me - Mrs Dregga was busy laughin' at me....). Anyway, the day saw the construction of the two frames which will be the sides of me gaming table/cabinet. What seemed at first to be a pretty easy and simple design, soon proved itself to be a complete... grot of thing. But wiv sum no-wotsits and Orky cunnin's... Mrs DF worked out how to get past the 'roadblock'.... This 'roadblock' being the center-most beam in the frame. Due to screwing the other beams in I came to an impass when I placed said beam in it's location and realised I couldn't get to it with screws. That was when Mrs DF said in a smug triumphant voice - "Dowels". After much profanties and cursing, we were back in Da Green Limo and on our way back to Bunnings to get some dowel. Once we got the center-most beam in place (on the first frame) the second frame went together in no time.

Day 2 saw da missus and I get stuck in and measure and cut all the 'joining' beams. (Da beams dat join da 2 frames ya gits! ). Before I started glueing and screwing the joining beams to the frames I stood back and thought fer a moment. Aha! I'ze gonna get caught out 'ere if'n I not careful. I went ahead and glued and screwed the bottom 4 joining beams to the first frame, and THEN placed the floor in position and measured where I would have to cut out parts to allow it to fit around the upright beams. Once that was done (and more fun was had wiv da Circular and Jig saws) I positioned the floor and we glued and screwed the second frame to the other end of the joining beams. To make sure we had everything in the right place (screw holes to hold the floor in place) we also attatched the two 'top - end' joinging beams to help pull the top of each frame square. We then screwed the floor into place.

After that was done, we put the next 'level' of joining beams on and cut out the 'shelf' that would sit ontop of those beams. We fought it into place (had to remove the two top - end beams and 'persuade' the shelf into place - lucky at this size, even 0.9cm thick MDF has a bend to it), then we screwed and glued it into place. By now it was getting darkish outside, and hence panzee-noise level restrictions, so we decided to stop fer the night. And of course, I forgot to take a pic at this stage, sorry. First thing in da mornin' I'll take a pic of dis stage before we go any further.

*Further praise to THE hottest gaming chick wife in history*
    I am allowed to paint this cabinet/table ANY colour I want! I am even allowed to decorate any way I want - Armour plates!!!! Orky Glyphz!!! Woohoo! And no - this table WILL be inside the house in my gaming room. Not banished to garage, or shed. No matter how tacky looking it is!!! My wife Rocks!

C&C welcome.

[EDIT]
    Incase there is anyone out there who has kept track of the amount of gaming tables I own, the answer is now 3.

No. 1 - 8ft x 4ft simple tabletop on cheap legs:

No. 2 - 4ft x 4ft Vietnam Rice Paddy table:

No. 3 - The one I am now building. 8ft x 4ft top with same dimensions (close to 2.5ft hieght) of storage space in the cabinet beneath.
    [/EDIT]

DF

Last edited by Darkfather; March 9th, 2008 at 00:49.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, the pic showing the shelf and floor all in place, screwed and glued:

Well, I am absolutely stuffed/tired. Only got a half day of work done on the table today, as Mrs. DF had to go to work at 20pm. But here is what we got done.

We started working on the sides of the table/cabinet today. Firstly we took MDF sheet #3 and cut it to size to fit on the frame:

Then we measured all the screw holes, and drew in the size of the future doors, and cut them out. 2x Jigsaw blades later I managed to get all the portals cut out, then I proceeded to screw and glue the sides on the frame. The foillowing pic shows what it will be like wiv da top on (it is only sitting there atm though):

Tomorrow will be the ends and the top put firmly in place. Possibly even the first coat of paint?!

C&C welcome as always.

DF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well. This morning has seen the sides go on and the top get placed in position. ATM only 4 screws hold the top in place (make sure you have enough materials when buildin'!!). When Mrs. DF goes to work in.... less than an hour, I will go get more screws and finalise that part of the job. Tommorrow is 'wood filling' the screw holes and 'errors/gaps', and then Thursday & Friday will be painting days! Already? Wow. I may even get the doors organised over Thursday/Friday as well. Once the painting is done, then comes the dekoratin'.

On a comical note. I had a fleeting thought, and explained to Mrs. DF that she was lucky that my small Black Templar army wasn't my fav. army. If it was, the table could've quite easily ended up looking like this...

C&C welcome as always.

DF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woah! Today has been a real ... Git... of a day. 35 degreees Celcius today and that was inside where all the cuttin' and paintin' was taking place.I am currently typing this post out whilst sweating like an Ork on the Doc's sergury table. But this is what has to be done to bring updates while they, and the happenin's of the day, are still fresh in my mind.

The day started off with Mrs. DF sanding and prepp'in the table ready fer paintin'. Meanwhile I got started on the doors (Not glass/perspex, sorry). Once the doors were cut out then Mrs. DF and I fought them into place and screwed on the hinges. Stuff-Up #1 for the day - I meticulously measured out each door so that it would measure 1.5cm longer than the gap it had to cover (support reasons and hinge spacing). I was ever so pleased with myself at having that thought. Then I measured the verticle measurement of the gap, and translated that to Mrs. DF, and she squared of the measurements and I cut out the doors.

NOTICE SOMETHING IMPORTANT MISSING FROM THAT LAST PARAGRAPH?

Then we measured and fitted the hinges to the insides of the doors and went to attatch said doors to the cabinet.... Perfect - side to side the doors overlapped and worked great. Vertically however.... I completely forgot to add on the extra 1.5cm top and bottom to the measurement I called out to Mrs. DF. Anyway, suffice to say, currently the doors work, and work well (and are now painted - first coat), but they fit (vertically) into the gap they are meant to cover, damnit! I have devised a fix for this however and that will likely come in my next update in 2 or 3 days time. Anyway, for now here are some pics:

Internals painted yesterday. It looks pretty bad, but this pic was taken just after the sanding and preppin' for 2nd coat, and before the vaccuuming and dusting had been done:

Wiv'out da doors, but internally 2nd coated (and final coat), and the 1st coat on the entirety of the outside:

Table in da background, Doors in da foreground (also only 1 coat and only on one side - currently), and base/frame very foreground (on the floor):

Fingers crossed - Sunday will see an update wiv doors in place and final lot of painting done. Maybe even a little sneak peak at da next step?!

C&C welcome as always.

DF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I be back. Did a little more work on the table today with Mrs. DF. Also did some brainstorming about the doors and came to a final conclusion (I'll explain that bit later).

Today we started decorating the table itself. Nothing to extravagent, but very time consuming all the same. All along, since the beginning of this build, I wanted to have a primarilly Goff themed table. Black with Red Dags around the top and B&W checkers around the bottom. We started with the dags, and ended up with this:

I love the way it has come out. But the process for doing just this one side was so damn time consoomin'. The only way to get the dags done with any measure of exactness <word?>, was to mask each and every dag! As you can see below:

Extremely time consuming, and a down right pain in the butt. Once we had the entirety of the top masked we got to paintin' and then removed the masking tape. Through this process we have decided NOT to do the checks. Every way we could think of to do the checks proved to be way too time dependant, and way too much of a pain to get even close to neat/clean. This is also where my plans for the 6 doors have changed slightly. Before I get into that however, final pics of the 'doorless tablinet' with Dags all around:

I personally love the final look of the Dags. This makes me realise however just how bad the checks could make the entire tablinet look, if we stuffed them up, and that is why we have decided against them. Sorry all you other Goff players for this blatant excusing of the Checkers.

The Doors:

My original idea for the doors (and the ends of the table) were to 'mount' armour plates (read: MDF cut and painted to look like armour plates) on the door surfaces, then add onto those some Orky glyphs. After careful con.. consid... Mrs. DF. belting sense into me, I came to the realisation that the extra amount of weight that would add to each door would put a huge strain on the hinges we are using. So instead [s]I[/s] we have decided to simply mask of the glyphs on each door and simply paint them directly onto the door surfaces. All the glyphs will be the same colour red as the Dags, having said that however - I am currently contemplating making the middle 2 door glyphs white just to break up the black/red going on.

Anyway, that is where I am upto atm as far as the tablinet is concerned. Tomorrow Mrs. DF. and I get to work on the door glyphs, then I just need to 'rope' a few friends into helping me get the tablinet in my gaming room. Then attatch the doors, and it will be finished.

Oh, and the ends of the tablinet... I have no idea if I should leave them blank/black or if I should also add glyphs to those locations. I am thinking of doing my army's logo on the ends, but haven't decided in any way at all on what I should do.

C&C welcome as always.

DF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankyou to everyone for all your ideas and feedback. Between Mrs. DF. and I, all your ideas were seriously taken into consideration (those that Mrs. DF. and I hadn't already considered ourselves anyway). While alot of ideas were not used, for different reasons, the fact that they were presented is extremely appreciated. As is all the praise Mrs. DF. and I have recieved from everyone. This tablinet has been a labourious job, but the end result has all been worth it, too me anyway. While the table hasn't ended up as Orky as my original thoughts/wants, it still emenates an unmistakable amount of pure Orkdom, but in a 'held-back/refined' sort of way.

Ayway, I'll stop all the blabbering and get to da pics.

Doors done, and table fought thru the door way (tight fit, but not too tight). Doors attatched, and pics taken. This side of the table 'reads' (loosely) - Owned by Waaagh Dreg(ga):

On this side (even more loosely translated) we have - Fort(ress) Mek(ed) for the Kommanda:

I was starting to wonder how I was going to keep the top of the tablinet safe from my Cats and their claws, and also safe from the 'removable' gaming tops I will be building. Then I remembered, I have these 2'x2' rubber mats that interlock with each other. I 'just happen' to have enough to cover a 4'x8' area, so I cleaned 'em off as best I could and whacked 'em on da tablinet top. I think it actually completes the tablinet with the Orky markings, and gives it a bit more of a (subdued) industrial look:

Anyway, there it is. inside my gaming room, and completed. Now I just have to spend the next hour or so emptying everything out of da green limo and back into the room, and into the tablinet. sigh.

Thanks again to everyone (from Mrs. DF. as well) for all the ideas, and the kind words.

C&C more than welcome.

DF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

I'm very impressed mate, very impressed indeed.

Now make the Black Templars one, and post it to me! *does hypnotoad eyes*

Keep up the good work mate,

Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is intense.
    I am very impressed.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Top notch Darkfather! Really really amazing. Rep for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

that is pretty darn impressive, I love the terrain mats on top. about how much does the table weigh?? do you have some sort of wheels or casters on underneath the table ??

Thought for the day: A Burning Heretic , Will brighten the Decor of any room.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast