Ancalagon's Swordmasters (WIP) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Ancalagon's Swordmasters (WIP)

I've already posted this in the converting Swordmasters thread in the High Elf forum, but I thought that this needed to come to the modelling forum too. I'm currently trying to convert a unit of Swordmasters by using the legs, torso and helmet of the High Elf Spearmen as a base and then creating the arms and sword in greenstuff, which I only started working with less than a week ago. Most of the rest of this post is just copied and pasted from what I put in the High Elf forum.

I've just finished the first Swordmaster for my unit. Bearing in mind the first time I ever touched greenstuff was on Saturday, I'm very pleased with how this guy turned out.

Without further ado, here is my first Swordmaster

What do you think?

The left hand isn't fully gripping the sword because I realised that the armature for the left forearm was a little too long, and so if I sculpted the hand gripping the sword he would have an insaely long forearm, so I decided to modify the plan a bit. I decided to sculpt his hand so he was reaching for the sword, about to grab hold and complete the swing two handed. This seems quite swordmaster like actually, because elven greatswords are elegant rather than heavy and you can probably start a swing one handed fairly easily.

There is no guard on the sword (the piece between blade and handle) because it didn't go very well when I tried to add one, and then I realised that I quite like how it looks without one.

He's not perfect, but since I'm a greenstuff newb I'm very happy with the results! I've got another well on the way and two more bodies prepped to recieve armatures, so this unit is coming together much faster than I expected.

Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Mate; you say he is not perfect but that is an excellent first go at GS - you should be very happy with how it turned out!

The forearm section of the glove could do with a touch more work, and the picture makes the head detail a little hard to make out, but otherwise be very happy with your work.

I, for one, cannot wait to see more of there sword-wielding blokes! Keep it up my friend!

Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a beginner GSer this is truly amazing;o

rep coming your way love the sword;Y
    Loss is acceptable, Failure is not!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Thanks guys

Like I said, there are several areas where I think I can improve, and they do seem to be going better on the next one who is well underway. There are one or two bits on this first one that will probably see a bit more of my files too, like the sword handle, and the forearm like you suggested. Actually, I've just realised that it's hard to make out, but there is a jewel modeled on the forearm like there are on many High Elves, but the photo just makes it look like a lump.

I've noticed my models always seem to look better in real life than they do in photographs, whether painted or converted, I think mainly because I don't look at them quite so closely in real life. Still, I'm quite proud of this one and I'll get back to working on the rest of the unit very soon - I've still got quite a few to do!
    Thou shalt remember:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Time for an update!

I've finished 3 more swordmasters so I've got 4 done, which I think is pretty decent progress. I've starting greenstuffing the 5th, and there are 3 more prepped with armatures and ready for the greenstuff. The unit does seem to be coming together quicker than I expected, even if it is taking a lot longer than any unit that I've done before.

Again, some areas on these sculpts could be a bit better but overall I'm very happy.
    Also, like before, I didn't notice some of the little problems until I looked at them on these large pictures. You just don't seem to notice the small errors anywhere near as easily in real life.

In order of completion, the most recent 3 are:

Finally, here's a group shot of the 4 that I've finished:

I think you can tell from this last picture that they look a lot better when you zoom out and look at more than one at once. At least I do anyway!

What do you think?
    Thou shalt remember:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome.
    . "Stop complaining ponce and hit stuff with yer shiny new axe"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Done!

Very nicely done with the green stuff. It looks as though you are getting the hand of it is so congrats. If I had to say anything I would say that you might try making the swords out of plasticard instead of green stuff....I remember my first attempt at green stuffing a sword.....ugh it was not pretty so now I use plasticard for swords and weapons and what not but this is definately deserving of some REP keep up the good work!

Skid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidman View Post
    Very nicely done with the green stuff. It looks as though you are getting the hand of it is so congrats. If I had to say anything I would say that you might try making the swords out of plasticard instead of green stuff....I remember my first attempt at green stuffing a sword.....ugh it was not pretty so now I use plasticard for swords and weapons and what not but this is definately deserving of some REP keep up the good work!

Skid
    Thanks

A few few people have said that I should look into using plasticard, and I would try it, but there are a few things which meant I've carried on with greenstuff. I don't have any plasticard and I don't know anywhere near me which stocks it being the main reason. The swords do look a little off in the photos but they seem fine when you don't look too closely.
    Thou shalt remember:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Another update!

I've completed four more, so that's 8 in total. I'm aiming for around 12 to 14 including the command, who I'm going to start greenstuffing soon. This batch has a couple of fairly static GW pose style ones, because I'm going to use them in the middle of the second rank. There's no point in swinging your sword if you're only going to hit your comrades, after all. The next batch (including the command) are going to be in slightly more aggressive poses, as they will be in the front rank.

Here are the photos

And the group shot of those four:

Since taking the photos I've noticed a few places that need a bit more filing. Why does that always happen?

Still, my unit is over half modelled now, which makes me happy. Any comments?
    Thou shalt remember:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

wow, these are turning out quite nicely, congrats. I'm not crazy about the way the words look, but thats more due to personal taste than any major problem with the sculpting. For a first greenstuff attempt they are turning out to be amazing though. (You should see my hideous Skaven plague monks...) Rep for you.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast