Some newbie issues - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

Some newbie issues

Ok Im new around here, and frankly a little new to the game. I have a nid and eldar army and when im painting the color streaks. I want to confirm this, is it because i do not use GW's spray primer? I ussaly just water coat the first coat and go from there. So what is my problem, ive had to strip sevral modles because of this and its getting old

Also what is the deal with celaints/ clear coats what are they good for. And does the gloose finish really look good on nids?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

I'm guessing that the streaking is down to you using too few layers, or are not watering the higher layers, I can paint fine without undercoat.
    Varnishes keep a model safe from the small levels of wear and tear that they should be facing, also they help to make layering look smoother.
    Gloss varnish can look good on 'nids or most other things for that matter, it is down to how you paint them though.
    Up, up and away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey welcome to LO:ballon:

ya might have too much paint on your brush

as for the gloss finishes and hard coats and stuff, they really do look great on most models especially nids i reckon, i wouldn't put it an the whole model, just put a coat of gloss on the plates and it makes them look all organic and cool
    Loss is acceptable, Failure is not!

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

To be fair, you should always undercoat your miniatures. The reason being that paint does not hold well to plain plastic or metal, this is the purpose of the undercoat. Of course it can be done without an undercoat, but things are much easier to paint with the undercoat on. I would always recommend this.

Also, there is no need for the spray. Painting the miniature first with either Chaos Black or Skull White is also a valid method of undercoating, especially when you cannot spray.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Yeah, you should always prime your models. It doesn't have to be with GW's exorbitantly priced spray (in fact, I get the same results with $0.99/can Quick Color, available at Home Depot).

As for streaking, it's most likely because you're just not layering enough, as has been said... there are also certain GW paints that are just really thin. Red Gore, for example, will never work with just one coat. So, if you've been priming and are worried about streaking, just use more thin coats of paint.

The clear finish spray stuff puts a protective layer over your completed model. I use it for all my metal models (which, in fact, is every model in both of my 40k armies), because paint chips off of metal with the slightest agitation... the spray finish helps stop that. Just make sure you get a matte finish, unless you want it glossy (which might be the case for nids).
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

Well crap i just wasted $10 on their over priced paint. Can i return it? lol. Thanks for the advice guys im glad the community out here is responsive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldnt' say the GW paint is crap, I'd just say its overpriced in comparison to other spray paints out there. That being said I'd doubt the store would take back the can you bought; claiming you probably used it etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndane View Post
    I wouldnt' say the GW paint is crap, I'd just say its overpriced in comparison to other spray paints out there. That being said I'd doubt the store would take back the can you bought; claiming you probably used it etc etc.
    Primer is just a bit different than straight paint. It basically has "teeth" and holds onto the surface. Paint adheres to the primer better than it would on a raw surface. Without it you could get flaking.

Streaking is usually a symtom of too much paint on the brush. Even with more transparent colors such as red - if you keep the layers thin and gradually build them up - you won't get streaking or brush strokes. Keep in mind also what colors you are using. lighter colors don't cover over a black primer as well. If you are painting light colors - you may want to prime white. If you don't like a white primed surface you can always wash it with watered down black ink.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Primer is just a bit different than straight paint. It basically has "teeth" and holds onto the surface. Paint adheres to the primer better than it would on a raw surface. Without it you could get flaking.

Streaking is usually a symtom of too much paint on the brush. Even with more transparent colors such as red - if you keep the layers thin and gradually build them up - you won't get streaking or brush strokes. Keep in mind also what colors you are using. lighter colors don't cover over a black primer as well. If you are painting light colors - you may want to prime white. If you don't like a white primed surface you can always wash it with watered down black ink.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-Mike
    Yeah I should have used the word primer instead of paint in my post, as thats what I meant.

+ Reply to Thread