First attempt at area terrain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

First attempt at area terrain

Hey so today I decided that my terrain collection is a little small (all my artistic friends supply it all time) and I especially lacked area terrain. So from a palm sander pad, some spures, old bits, some parts from a old cd player, and some very very old plastic GW runes I found I created a simple ruined building. Sorry I'm not very good at any of this painting or modeling buisness.

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP

Later on today I might be heading out to pick up some cheap black primer, and some cheap shades of grey paint. Should I look into using a textuted spray. I will aslo be adding a bit of sand before I spray. I would really apreciate any advice / tips.

Thanks

Last edited by gauss_storm; March 25th, 2008 at 09:51.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I must say it looks really good. It'll be a nice piece of terrain once it's done, no worries.
    There's only one little thing I can say "Hey it's wrong" about and that's the piece of sprue with letters on.
    It's quite a give-away.
    Just file/cut it down or cover it with more junk.

It's also a good idea to cut up some more sprue but in smaller pieces and just cover the piles of junk with PVA and toss it on. It'll build the piles up in a rather realistic way.

It's also good to build up the ground just alittle around the ruin-walls. PVA+gravel/small pieces of sprue/sand. It'll make it look as if the wind blew it there and as if the ruins are not crisp clean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Thanks. and yeah as I walked into my garage from the hardware store I realised the GW spure, I put a layer of sand under nearth the rubble piles to enhance the effect, I picked up a dark flat grey , and some hammered copper paint I plan on painting the center peice with it to create a vocal point. I'll go take your advice right now and build up the rubble a bit more, I'll post some more pictures later tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Hello again , with the help of a old blender :party: I was able to crush up some more spures fast, I put them in a little plastic thingy... that was laying there put in tons of wood glue and some sand and mixed it all up and layered it up on the existing rubble piles.

Also around all the edges I mixed up a thick paste of 5/7 wood glue and 2/7 sand and pasted that all around. I really like how its turning out for pretty mcuh my first serious try at terrain. Any more suggestions before I go onto spraying a black coat?

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP
    Last edited by gauss_storm; March 25th, 2008 at 09:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Well so far I've made two peices of cover which are large piles of rubble which are built upon old blank cds, the building and the rubble piles I just basecoated. I'm interested in making a entire terrain set if these first few peices turn out well. If anyone is interested I'll be painting first thing tommorow morning and I'll post some pictures up along the way.

EDIT

If I do decide to make some more peices from this set I plan on.... 3 or 4 of those rubble piles, 2 of the smaller ruined buildings, a large ruined building , and maybe some tank traps and razor wire.

Does anyone know if I can still get more of those GW ruined buildings.... I don't think they've been included in the battle forces for 3 or 4 years now.

Thanks.

EDIT AGAIN

So I can't sleep once again so I'm a bit ahead of schedule. I've finished the first flat coat of grey on all three peices and the trashed bike has gotten a coat of scab red (just note that there are tons of bits in the pile but I havent picked them out yet) I put a few of my destroyers to get the idea of the size.

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP

IMAGE DUMP
    Last edited by gauss_storm; March 25th, 2008 at 09:45.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

It's looking better all the time. The piles will be great on the table, they really carry that 40K feeling so often lost on green tables
    The paint looks a bit thick though, it's easy to get carried away when building/painting but I think your stuff would really benefit from you using a dryer brush while drybrushing.(it could of course also be only in the pics, god knows they can show something completely different to what they are supposed to do)
    You can neutralize the thickness by giving all your terrain a couple of washes of very thin black/brown paint. I'm talking one part paint to 10-15 maybe even 20 parts water. It really helps to bring out the details and to give a realistic dirty-effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Yeah the paint was wet at the time, I'll look into the brown and black paints , could I use watered down inks to suffice? Or both? And mind that was just 1 coat.... I'll give them some washes and highlight the edges a bit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

746 (x8)

You can use inks, but I very much prefer to use paints my self as the inks tend to give a glossy finish and take ages to dry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

103 (x5)

Well I just finish two washes of vermin brown / snake bite and another of chaos black. It's helped a ton and really brings out the detail again and adds a very dark aged look. In the morning hopefully I can post some finished pictures.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

After the paint its coming together much better, I was a little skeptical, at first but nicely done gauss!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast