Lava effects on tables / lava themed terrain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lava effects on tables / lava themed terrain

I have painted my models' bases in a lava theme (Balrog paint style over grated corks) and it looks good enough, but I would like a terrain piece or two to work with the theme. Perhaps even a table.

I am a complete terrainic (not tyrannic) newbie. I need to know is what to ask for in stores, what stores to ask from, what to ask for. (not actual product names as I live in NZ, just what to ask for, e.g. Foam card)

I would obviously paint it balrog style, but I need to know what sort of things to put on the terrain. I am considering a big chaos eight pointed star for an idea. It would be engraved in the ground, same cork idea as before, except for the star, I would use a knife to enlarge the space, to make the icon pure lava. (the end of the lines could be problematic though, I would need knowledge on them)

So, pretty much I need to know what I need to use to make this simple terrain piece a reality.

Also, skills that a 13 year old could do please. If it requires a lot of money (around about the same as a box of bezerkers) I will just get the bezerkers. Also if it is outside my skill range, I am stuck again.

Thank you in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

Im not all that sure what your asking for. I mean your description of the terrain could be done in alot of differnt ways. If you tell me more specifically about what you want ill try and help you more. But for some inspiration and starter skills check the links in my sig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I want an idea for a terrain piece to go with my base theme.

My base theme:

I grated some cork (too poor to afford sand) and apply that to all the bases.

I base coat it black.

I recoat it white.

I recoat it golden yellow.

I use a 1.1.2 ink wash of red ink, yellow ink and water.

I drybush it black.

This gives the effect of the lava being the ground, everywhere having small cracks. Sort of like a chocolate coated marshmellow with the chocolate cracked.

My idea was to get a bit of whatever the bases for scenery is, (like at the bottom of your khorne monument) then coat it in cork, cut a chaos symbol into the board and cork so when I paint it, the chaos symbol will be made out of lava.

Now, I need to know how best to achieve this, and what I need to get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

WEll I understood your painting idea but Im still alittle fuzzy on what you want to make. First and formost how are you so poor to get sand? ITs free outside.

That aside Ill try and help you to my best. Use 1/4'' foamcore board for the base of your project. Build up the base so that you have some depth to cut into. I suggest using 1/2'' or 3/4'' pink insulation foam, its cheap and easy to use. Once you have the base you can carve into it with a knife to make you depressed area in what ever shape you want. Then you can do you line the bottom of the cut out area with cork or rocks and paint it accordingly. This will give the impression of a sunken and broken earth boiling with molten awesomeness(aka lava) in the shape of one something or what not chaos.

Hope that helps and wood filler(Elmers Brand) is one of the things I used on the Khorne Icon to make the base look rocky. I then just glued some sand and rocks on it and painted..
    Fox:C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Not too sure about what products are called etc in NZ - shouldn't be too far off australia.
    Try and get your hands on the pink foam its an insulation styrene and good hardware shops should have it. Best bet though would probably be pm'ing inquisitor earl - he's a terrain guru and a kiwi so he should definately know what to get, what it's called and where to get it from.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guant View Post
    WEll I understood your painting idea but Im still alittle fuzzy on what you want to make. First and formost how are you so poor to get sand? ITs free outside.

That aside Ill try and help you to my best. Use 1/4'' foamcore board for the base of your project. Build up the base so that you have some depth to cut into. I suggest using 1/2'' or 3/4'' pink insulation foam, its cheap and easy to use. Once you have the base you can carve into it with a knife to make you depressed area in what ever shape you want. Then you can do you line the bottom of the cut out area with cork or rocks and paint it accordingly. This will give the impression of a sunken and broken earth boiling with molten awesomeness(aka lava) in the shape of one something or what not chaos.

Hope that helps and wood filler(Elmers Brand) is one of the things I used on the Khorne Icon to make the base look rocky. I then just glued some sand and rocks on it and painted..
    Fox:C
    I did not use beach sand because I saw how my friend's sand turned out. Not good. Cork works better for what I like anyway.

I just have no idea what foamcore is. I suppose I will PM inquisitor earl, and ask what foamcore and insulation foam is, and where to get it.

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey just a quick idea about lava, i have used in the past
    i have used various sheets of plastic (you can get these out of the bin old shampoo bottles, GW blister packs anything to hand really)
    cut out the rough size of the base circle or square etc etc,
    then cut plastic in jagged lines (in half, threes etc etc)
    (i tend to cut two sets for each base and then i under cut one set)
    then just glue the plastic cut pieces on the base if you get the effect correct it will look like volcanic glass with cracks you can then ink, wash, or paint red or orange etc
    this will give a pretty cool effect at next to no cost just glue and paint
    BTW you can also use this method to make "flag stone" type bases
    hope this suggestion helps

+ Reply to Thread