Buying Brushes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Buying Brushes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im a new collector of 40k, and was wondering how many different sized brushes do you think it is worth investing in? i am looking to paint my models to a sensible standard, but nothing too ambitious. i was originally going to get a standard brush and a detail brush, but i'm having second thoughts. any opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to have a spread of brushes. Probably more than needed. For round brushes I have a 3-4 '0' for small jobs, a #1, and #3, and a fine liner brush (very long thin brush) for eyes and black lining. I also have a very stiff bristle #1 for doing edges. I also have a #1 and #3 cat's tongue (flat round) for doing large flat surfaces, like vehicles.

I also have a large assortment of "junk" brushes for white glue, dry scrubbing, bases, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have about 30 or 40 brushs, but I only use about five out of them. it's good to have different types of brushes like WolfRaider said. I have a 0/0, 3/0 and a few 0/5's.
    If Wolves were meant to fly, wouldn’t the Emperor have given them wings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really despise GW paint (as anyone who has read any of my posts can tell), so this may sound funny comming from me, but I actaully think that GW does a pretty good job with their brushes. (They're too expensive, of course.) If you take care of them, they last quite a while, and they keep a good point.

I went the sable, 000 to 10x0 route, but I found that the paint dried on the brush too fast, which had the twin disadvantages of making it hard to paint and ruining the brush. Now, I stick to a larger brush with a good point even for the finest details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

While all the above are showing off with their numbers and stuff , i would say three brushes. GW standard brush, GW fine detail brush and GW Drybrush.
    For a person starting off that selection of brushes will allow you to get most of your minis painted to a decent level, ooooh and some black/white spray paint for undercoating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I use, and I only use the detail brush for eyes and sometimes on faces.
    I paint to a "gaming" standard, I think I'm pretty good, but I'm not going to win any golden deamons any time soon. Three brushes are enough for me.
    I KNOW I have a tank brush somwhere around here too though, and I'd like to find it now that I've switched to the guard :)
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to have about two of each kind of brush if not more on brushes I use a lot. A 00000 sable brush is a life saver for eyes and lettering, a 000 for normal details, a 0 for normal work and a large flat brush for vehicles, or better still use an airbrush, but thats a different topic. I personally enjoy the finished project more enjoyable than gaming, less stressful........

-Steve
    Barneys Japanese Girlfriend: "I would like a single plum, floating in perfume, served in a mans hat"

Closed Thread