First go at Hordes: Circle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First go at Hordes: Circle

Hey all,
    This is my first post (other than introduction), and I thought I would plunge in head first. I'm just starting out on collecting a Circle force for Hordes. Here are some pics of the way I'm hoping to go with them (this is the Kaya starter set). I thought I would use white/black rather than the typical green/gold combo, as I thought it complemented the beasts well. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Welcome to LO, OliverQ!
    Always nice to see some Hordes minis painted!

Overall, they look very nice, I really like the alternative scheme, although certain areas of the minis stand out as being significantly superior to others, in my opinion.

The fur/hair that has been (presumabley) drybrushed has much greater depth than everything else on the models, so I would be trying to get everything else up to that standard of contrast.

The quickest and easiest way of achieving this would be with a few washes.
    Mixing some black in with whatever brown you used for your (beast's) skin tones, then adding loads of water (around 10:1 water:paint), and applying over the entire skin will give you some very quick shading, especially if you then go back and add more shading to the areas that naturally sit in shadow.

Have a look at my Pureblood for some idea of what I mean by contrast...

The washing technique can easily be applied to Kaya as well, by using a darkish brown over her skin, in the same manner.

Hope to see more from you soon!

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Showing off, eh -t?
    Nah just joking around (or am I..?).

Welcome to LO OliverQ! Awesome to see more PP'ers here!
    Overall, I really like that alternative colour scheme of yours. Very stylish! Minus-t is, as always, spot on with his comments and suggestions (he is kinda awesome) and I agree with him on his points.

Looking forward to seeing, and hearing, more of your experiences with Hordes. Feel free to pop in at the Hordes-board and tell us about it!

Enjoy your stay here at LO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Weeeerl, I was slightly... =p

But I am also demonstrating a valid point (or so I claim!).
    Mwahahahah.

Seriously though, I was gonna put up pics of my Warpwolf, but looking back, they are awful. I shall have to take some more tomorrow, as well as the progress I've made on Kromac...

Ahem.

Ditto on the Camel's invite to the Hordes-boards (hey, that rhymes!), come on down and celebrate your victories and commiserate your losses!

-t.
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for the comments, I have been lurking in the Hordes and Warmachine boards a lot lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if I turn up there soon.
    minus_t: Thanks for the advice, that is actually something that I wasn't too happy with on the paint job. I look forward to having a go with it on this lot, then moving onto the other circle miniatures I want to do (which is all of the range, darn you PP, why must I like your minis so much?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I had a go at minus_t's suggestion of using washes to add depth. Unfortunately, no success, my inability to use washes again has hindered my success. Ah, well, I guess I just need to practice more, failing that run away and live like a hermit.
    Anyway, I had a bit of an experiment, and I think I have come up with an alternative. Below is a WIP view of my pureblood (not to the standard of the of minus_t's pureblood, but it's a start ;Y). The skin is a step forward, I started from a base coat of codex grey, then applied various mixtures of codex grey and fortress grey (2:1 then 1:1 then 1:2), with a last coat of fortress only. Each stage leaving and edging of the previous shade and only applying a thin coat so that its almost transperant.
    Anyway, any comments would be appretiated (on the skin tones, the rest isn't finished).
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Looking good, looking good. I think the skin looks very nice, perhaps a final, thin, highlight of fortress grey could make it look even cooler? Would need to be quite carefull with that though.

Will be looking forward to seeing the completed Wolfie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

979 (x8)

It's looking good so far, bud!

I'm with DMC, a little more highlighting to pick up the muscle definition would really make this baby something special =)

-t.
    Last updated 09/01/11

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

That looks great Oliver, it is an improvement, keep u[ the great work.

Da mighty Camel, would call him wolfie to his face? He looks like he bites.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Nice work bud, looking forward to seeing more. I'm in the more highlights camp with your wolf.

Tekore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast