lots of noob questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lots of noob questions

I am an intermediate level scale modeller starting out in WH40k. I plan to get elaborate with painting and conversion in the future, but for now I'm sticking to the basics and just want to get a small army painted to a decent tabletop standard so I can start playing. Be as elaborate and advanced as you like with your answers though.

I will be building an IG army but I have some questions.

1. bases. Having mostly done 1/35 scale armor, I am not used to using bases. What method do you use to secure your figures to them? I will be using a mix of plastic and metal figures.

2. flock. I have never used flock before. When do you apply it? Before or after you fix the figure to the base? Is the games workshop flock good?

I may skip the flock for now so I can field the army as soon as possible. Is it practical to apply flock as the last step after the model has been fixed to the base and painted?

3. inks. What color inks work well with the standard cadian paint scheme of Catachan Green armor over Desert Yellow fatigues?

4. vehicles. Is there any kind of modular system used to swap out weapons and other bits? For example what if I want a heavy flamer sponson weapon today, but a heavy bolter sponson tomorrow? Or searchlights 1 day and storm bolter the next? It seems rather silly (due to expense) to buy a vehicle for each eventuality, but I want to be as wysiwyg as possible.

Hmm, I know there's more, but that's all I can think of for now and that's plenty to chew on anyway. Thanks for your help!

o7

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Ash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    333 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by jake264 View Post
    I am an intermediate level scale modeller starting out in WH40k. I plan to get elaborate with painting and conversion in the future, but for now I'm sticking to the basics and just want to get a small army painted to a decent tabletop standard so I can start playing. Be as elaborate and advanced as you like with your answers though.

I will be building an IG army but I have some questions.
    First off, welcome to the wonderful world of 40k modeling.

1bases. Having mostly done 1/35 scale armor, I am not used to using bases. What method do you use to secure your figures to them? I will be using a mix of plastic and metal figures.
    It sort of depends on how decorative you want your bases to look. If you are going to keep it simple and just add some sand and gravel then I'd attach your figures direct to the base; the plastic legs can just be glued direct to the base with a glue for plastics (personally I use Revell's 'contacta professional'); the metal figures should have a metal tang for wedging into a GW 'slotta base', fix in place with Cyanoacrylate (super glue), Pacer make a wide range of different grades under the brand name 'Zap', worth a look at.
    If you want to build up a more scenic base onto which your figure will stand then your best bet is to pin the feet in place. Remove the tang from a metal figure. then using a pin vice or a mini drill, drill a hole into the heel area of each foot and glue in place a piece of metal/wire rod (paperclip), drill corresponding holes into your base and glue with super glue.

2. flock. I have never used flock before. When do you apply it? Before or after you fix the figure to the base? Is the games workshop flock good?

I may skip the flock for now so I can field the army as soon as possible. Is it practical to apply flock as the last step after the model has been fixed to the base and painted?
    Use of flock would depend on what sort of terrain you want you minis to be on. If desert or urban I wouldn't bother. As to when, personally I'd put it on after I'd painted the base or it will get a couple of coats of black primer!
    I tend not to use it myself so you'd be better off waiting for some one who does to give you some better info. Check out the gallery and if you see something you like PM the person who posted it.

3. inks. What color inks work well with the standard cadian paint scheme of Catachan Green armor over Desert Yellow fatigues?
    Personally I don't use GW inks as I'm not too keen on the slightly shiny finish, you can however make a wash from just heavily diluting down some paint and using it as a filter to shade your base colour. On green IG armour I tend to just use black and on desert fatigues a very thin wash of dark brown.

IG Veteran
    IG Squaddie
    Commissar and IG heavies

4. vehicles. Is there any kind of modular system used to swap out weapons and other bits? For example what if I want a heavy flamer sponson weapon today, but a heavy bolter sponson tomorrow? Or searchlights 1 day and storm bolter the next? It seems rather silly (due to expense) to buy a vehicle for each eventuality, but I want to be as wysiwyg as possible.
    You could try attaching different items with magnets. Not tried it myself, but if you do a forum search you are bound to find detailed instructions.
    Good luck, looking forward to seeing some finished results

___________________________________________________________________________ _____

Baneblade
    Baneblade WIP (Big Fat Tank WIP)
    IG AFV's
    Hellhound
    FW Hydra emplacement
    FW Administratum
    Chaos Renegades (Chaos Renegades WIP)
    Finishing things (Finishing things!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Welcome!

For affixing figs to bases, it really depends on their size. Normal troops, be they plastic or metal, can be held in place with simple superglue. I'll fill in any large gaps with greenstuff. Larger figs, both metal and plastic, I always drill a hole and put a metal rod through them and the base. Makes it more secure and less apt to break.

On basing, I usually us a mix of different grades of sand. I'll wash over the base with superglue and then dunk it into a tub with the sand. I than over-paint that with either glue or some kind of sealer. Than I paint it, wash it, drybrush it up. I don't use flock, instead I use static grass. Just run some glue over your painted base. Than dunk it into a tub of shaken static grass. Remove, shake off, turn upside down and gently blow on the grass. Pretty easy after you get used to it.

I also make my own inks. I start with a base of 3:1 water/future-floor wax. Generally take a darker shade than your base-coat and mix with the future mixture. Works perfectly as an ink, plus you don't have to go out and buy a new bottle of ink if you want a different color.

Here’s a few shots of sanded bases with static grass.
    CoolMiniOrNot - Tyranid Warrior by TamCoan
    Old Glade-Guard
    Last edited by TamCoan; April 7th, 2008 at 21:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

Oh yeah, on swapping weapons. Go with the magnets! Very easy on plastic figs, takes a bit of extra drilling on metal. But well worth it!

Here's a fig using magnets on the arms. I can swap out weapons as needed for whatever I'm fielding that day: CoolMiniOrNot - Tyranid Flying Hive Tyrant by TamCoan

There's a number of guides on this site that can help you with most of the questions you've asked above. Here's one for using magnets on your figs: http://www.librarium-online.com/2007...ar-conversion/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Welcome to LO, and welcome to 40k!

1. bases. Having mostly done 1/35 scale armor, I am not used to using bases. What method do you use to secure your figures to them? I will be using a mix of plastic and metal figures.
    As has been said, pinning is a very good idea, especially with metal figures. I even go as far as to drill a hole in the base for the pin, then covering the slot with tape prior to flocking, but whatever floats your boat. most players here will highly recommend pinning metal models, as the added strength is more valuable.

If you're truly concerned about a secure fit, you can pin plastic models too. I do it, and after a couple of them, the technique is very easy, of course one major caution with IG: there are a lot of different ways to build an IG army (have a look in the IG forums for details), and many of them rely on the "traditional" build, which requires a lot of grunt infantry. For many players, this necessitates a little less attention to detail per fig, in order to preserve sanity in general, and to provide more time/attention for the unit leaders, HQ, etc.

I use GW sand/gravel for now, but in the future I'll probably opt for stuff at Michael's (craft store chain). It's cheaper and just as good. Opinions vary widely on whether to paint it or not, or whether to attach it to the base or not. All I can tell you is how *I* do it, but I'd solicit other opinions before making up your mind.

Personally, I like attaching the fig first, then adding flock. I just find it's a little easier to work with. Furthermore, I like to paint my bases, too, and I find it works best to paint both base and model all at once, which brings me to the next issue...

Clearly there are some things (static grass, for one) that you can't/shouldn't paint, but gravel/rocks are a debatable issue. Personally, I think they need to be painted, even if you're using sand and you want it to look like... well, sand. To me, even an expert paint job still looks like a paint job, and will tie in, albeit indirectly, to the whole model. Using "real" sand will just draw attention to the fact that painted details are painted and real details are real, if this makes any sense.

If you insist on GW inks, then use dark green ink, or perhaps a thin black. Yellows should use earth tones, such as brown ink. As has been said, you should be warned that GW inks, while useful, leave a "sheen" behind that looks most unnatural. Only use these if you don't care (i.e., inks on parts that are supposed to end up looking that way) or be ready to finish off the model with a matte spray/sealant to dull it down to normal. A good alternative is to use a darker version of the color you're painting with. Works just as well, when properly thinned down, and no sheen.

Unfortunately, there's no lego-esque system (I can hear Tau players crying over their battlesuits now), but magnets are not hard to install and use. A little forethought during assembly goes a LONG way toward making your models very versatile in the future. If you post questions here, I'm sure LO members would be happy to steer you to appropriate guides, or maybe offer specific advice to help you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Canew; April 7th, 2008 at 22:06.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnets! Thanks for the replies guys, now that I know what to look for I've found several guides and threads on the subject. I just ordered a roll of magnets! Now I'm not only thinking about interchangeable weapons on my vehicles but also interchangable heads, arms (and weapons) and legs for my infantry! Woot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

Personally I avoid doing infantry with magnets. Too much extra time and not worth it. It may be useful for certain "key" units for weapons and such. But for grunts, I'd advise against it.

+ Reply to Thread