Northern Lights Glade Guard Conversion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Northern Lights Glade Guard Conversion

Hi everyone - new here but thought I would jump right in...

After much debate I decided to paint my Wood Elves for my army in a winter theme - think Alaskan Wilderness - snow, ice, icicles, rugged terrain. There will be lots of clear resin, water effects, snow, etc. Apparently this is even fine with the fluff as there is a great forest north of the Kislev that works for this.

And to hopefully make them different from other winter themed armies, I am incorporating the Northern Lights aurora into it.

I have never used greenstuff to do anything other than fill gaps so this was a real experiment for me.

Looking at the glade guard bodies, I wanted to add a feeling of winter - instead of just painting them in a winter scheme. I looked at Eskimo and Icelandic people's clothing and found what I feel is a good compromise. And don't worry the blue blob is simply Blu-Tac - nothing to do with the basing. :rofl

I have added a fur lined parka type hood, fur lined boots, fur lining under the arm greaves, fur collar, hid the torso connection by widening the belt, and fur lined the cloak.

The cloak is only temporarily pinned in place to check the hood placement and I will be adding arrows to all the models with arms in this position which will pull the bow string tighter.

My greenstuff work will get better as I go, but for a prototype - I am pretty pleased with the result. I will be converting 20 of these for two units of 10.

I did a test scheme before starting any conversion to get a feel for the colours - using a heavy percentage of Foundation colours on this one. I kept the figures in muted tones, in comparison to the green/purple spring ones I tried before. I also used darker colours that would contrast well with the snowy bases. My goal is to attempt Best Painted Army at some of the NZ tournaments.

Don't worry - as test models - this is simply a colour test and the final result will be better blended and more defined.

Any and all C&C welcomed...

Last edited by WolfDreamerNZ; April 11th, 2008 at 14:24.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Borderlands addict Phoenix Lazarus's Avatar
    There's no place I can be, since I've found Serenity.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    148 (x3)

Two things: i)That guy looks AWSOME!! ii) You called the book by its proper name, unlike those dastardly Americans

I can't wait to see you do more woodelves like this8Y I can assure you, with greenstuff the more you do the same things over and over the better you'll get at it, so keep up the good work! :happy: *reps*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you meant Northern Lights as in an Aurora Borealis colour scheme...

It's not - but doesn't stop them from looking damn good :party2:
    Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apachetear View Post
    I thought you meant Northern Lights as in an Aurora Borealis colour scheme...
    It will be - I am putting aurora images on the backs of all the cloaks. I tried the whole outfit in aurora colours and it came out very pastel so I have reduced it to just the cloaks which I am hopefully trialing over the weekend...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then this, I cannot possibly wait to see :-D :-D :-D
    Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Scheme and Greenstuff working. and imo your colour test models are already table worthy and compared to my crap skills you paint like a... ummm... like a good painter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    182 (x5)

Very nice fur sculpting in the first and great painting in the second... ;Y
    Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Welcome to LO!

Well I don't think I speak for only myself when I say that GG is one awesome model I like a lot. And your paintjobs looks stunning, too! I will be looking forward to seeing more of this army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys! Thanks for making a girl feel welcome! Glad my first model is so well received. Do you think I should convert a whole unit first and then paint or do one whole model to get a feel for it first? Also I am thinking of how to bring the aurora theme into the front of the model - inside of the cloak? Uppermost tabard/loincloth area piece? Suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

two words: Awesome, REP!
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast