Iron Scenery entry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Iron Chef Scenery : omgitsduane

Got a real update finally for you guys watching!

I'll start by saying its taken me a lot of processing to get it to where it is right now because I had the idea that 6x12 inches would be a lot bigger, alas its not. the coke can itself is 2.5x5 and combined with the size of the building, there isn't a lot of room for effects that I wanted on this piece.

I've made a lot of steps to get to where I wanted, fit in the things I wanted/needed on this piece to make me happy and as such I've had to make a sacrifice I've noticed of the top half of the coke can, I'll have to see with T if this is still legit, but I just can't seem to fit it in there without removing the ability to walk through or cover troops with this piece.

On another note, sorry for the lack of WIP pics, I will explain to the best of my ability how I went about making this as my cameras batteries has a life span of about 2 minutes then it takes most of the day to charge them for another 2 minutes and its just too much. Once I got working I didn't want to stop, not to take photos or anything else in-case I lost the moment.

[NOTE: If you want to make ANYTHING with any of the below objects, use super-glue, I ran out and can't afford even a small tube of the stuff and am using PVA which takes hours to fully dry and if your work moves in this time it is ruined and you are back to square one.

So please use super-glue where ever possible!]

BUILDING BASIC

From a box the predator of mine came in, I took all the edges off the box and unfolded it, the edges were perfect for me instead of my thicker cardboard for a few reasons.
    The first being that it doesn't have that unsightly curved look on the inside
    And it was easier to make the basic shape with thinner cardboard

I roughly cut the 2 long pieces into a half and folded them the best I could to a 90degree angle, after a bit of fiddling I got the pieces both looking how I wanted and glued them together with super glue so they would stick, the glue and flexibility of the card made it easy to get the 4 walls looking as square as possible before setting the roof down.

I cut some extra pieces as the building grew to give the sides more depth, just shapes here and there and some pipes made from simple straws, some cut into shorter pieces then cut in half and wrapped around other straws to give them more girth.

I made the ladder out of match sticks once again, pretty simple and easy, then cut it in a fashion I presumed would look correct for an explosion directly on the catwalk.

Building begins.

The back side of building.

Details down the track.

Pipes on the side of the building.

Side details towards the finished product.

THE ROOF

The roof was made of more cardboard from the predator box, I simply cut them closely to size and whittled it down till I was happy with the size of it, it took me 2 pieces to cover the entire roof and I left a little piece over the edge for the catwalk to be put under to give it a better grip.

Further down the track I cut much smaller pieces of card and tried to give them a battle-damaged look with scissors, cutting out small chunks made from bolter fire or some other sort of gun, the barbed wire was made using electrical wire one wrapped around the other, and the better looking wire was made with 2 pieces, wrapping one around the over 4 times then cutting off the edges to give it the blades then I curved it around a straw, a pen or drill tool was too thick I thought for the scale of things.

The catwalk has taken a direct hit but was once connected to the "pressure boiler" otherwise referred to beyond this point as "the coke can", and as a result most of it has collapsed below itself and formed a small pile.
    Made again with straws glued just over and inch apart with wire mesh inbetween, using dull scissors to cut the edge down and give it a rougher look.

CHAIN-LINK FENCE

To make this, I simply took some mesh wire from a window frame cut it roughly straight as I could then glued down some straws to it a rough distance apart, the original idea was to have the fence around the perimeter and maybe blown up from a shell shown by a crater

As with the catwalk, I took a pair of blunt scissors and cut along the entire edge, because of the totally uselessness of the scissors, the cuts were fairly random and when I was happy there was enough I would go at it from another angle to take the pieces out, looking rather rough which is perfect for what I wanted.

To stick them into the base I cut a tiny hole with a blade and stick a match stick in there, smothered it with glue, placed the chain-link fence section over it and then bent it slightly to make it look even more worn.

I didn't have the room for the crater idea so I set up a small perimeter around the base with 3 straws and some roughed-up mesh.

The control panel and a barbed wire piece.

chain-link fence.

REFINERY DOOR

I made this using a rhino door I had left over from the sprue, I never actually used the proper doors when I made my last rhino, silly mistake but oh well
    Just glued the door on after shaving off the edges, feeling it was a little plain I took some match sticks and glued them along the side to give it more edge, and a shorter match stick on the top, I had a gap left over from the hole I had to fix the back of the door piece into, so I placed another small sprue piece on top to cover my error of judgement.

The door.

THE COKE CAN

I was bored while vacuuming my room and placed the end on the open mouth of the can, crushing it into itself, giving it a very beat-down look, I thought originally to maybe have the can lying on its side with a hole blasted into it, but cut in half works well for me too.

I glued straws to the side for pressure pipes.

LARGE FUNNEL

This was a spare-of-the-moment thing, thinking it looks a little bare I placed a regular toilet roll on the front of the building, a small pipe on the front and a pipe into the roof give it a little bit of character.

THE INSPEKSHUN

Some orks came by to check out their handiwork and seem pretty pleased.
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75...nspekshun3.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75...nspekshun2.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75...nspekshun1.jpg

2ND PLAN

the idea here is that the can top has come off in the explosion and fallen on the catwalk, making the ensuing destruction.

TO DO:
    More details on the walls and roof, as well as on the pipes and lots of wires to be added.
    Maybe some panels near the door to access the building.
    Rivets and of course the all important flock.
    Paint.

I hope this has given at least one person an idea for their own terrain!

Last edited by omgitsduane; April 17th, 2008 at 02:47. Reason: fixerupper

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very cool design, can't wait to see this project get underway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like the idea, and no worries about adding detail to the mock. Thats what the final project is for, want to see where this goes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

oooh a factory eh? nice nice. can't wait to see it.
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

I think the construction phase of my building is done, from what I can see, there is no room to place wires as it all looks very... some word I can't think of.

Either way here we are! bear in mind that there is no flock added yet, I will be watering down some glue for that duty a little later on.

It may be a little hard to tell, but most of the pipes have a large collection down the bottom of material that has leaked out during the fighting, I may strike the building a few times with some bullet holes but other than that I believe it's through the production phase.

My biggest worry is that I have no black spray, and no red/browns for rust so it's going to be a challenge to get this thing looking how I envisioned but I will certainly be trying my best!
    Last edited by omgitsduane; April 17th, 2008 at 02:47.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

I think the construction phase of my building is done, from what I can see, there is no room to place wires as it all looks very... some word I can't think of.

Either way here we are! bear in mind that there is no flock added yet, I will be watering down some glue for that duty a little later on.

It may be a little hard to tell, but most of the pipes have a large collection down the bottom of material that has leaked out during the fighting, I may strike the building a few times with some bullet holes but other than that I believe it's through the production phase.

My biggest worry is that I have no black spray, and no red/browns for rust so it's going to be a challenge to get this thing looking how I envisioned but I will certainly be trying my best!
    Last edited by omgitsduane; April 17th, 2008 at 02:52.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

229 (x4)

Duane,

using PVA? i see why OMG is in your forum name.
    OMG PVA?!?!

Dude that has to take like, Hours to do minutes of building. Kudos to you man, for fighting through it.
    and thank your girlfriend for her letting you join in the contest.

Any word on Gaunt's sekrit concokshun?
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

nah heard nothing from gaunt, I cant buy super glue, i wish to god I could but I don't want to take cash off my gf to pay for glue for a competition she will hate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x4)

I RETURN!! Like I said I was in Florida on a band trip. We swept the compitition and now Im back on track. I have the basic floor plan on paper and Ill start up my thread later today. Very nice work both of you have done so far. I like the orkiness of Duanes so Im going down the IG fortified builds route. And there will be snow, bloody, bloody, snow. As well as a few other tricks I have up my sleeves.

Fox

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

the orkiness? That offends me because I wasn't going for an ork look haha!
    I just wanted it to look absolutely run-down and today I added glue to a lot of the pipes to make them look like they are leaking, also made 2 other small pieces of terrain.

Will update in a second.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast