Highlighting problem - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Highlighting problem

I paint my Vostroyans in Warlock Purple over a base of Blood Red (the purple alone isn't bold enough.) I cannot figure out what color to highlight with. I tried blood red (yeech!) I even thought of Tentacle Pink, but the combination is a bit psychedelic so instead of the Vostroyan Firstborn, I get the Woodstock Firstborn.
    Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sartorious View Post
    I paint my Vostroyans in Warlock Purple over a base of Blood Red (the purple alone isn't bold enough.) I cannot figure out what color to highlight with. I tried blood red (yeech!) I even thought of Tentacle Pink, but the combination is a bit psychedelic so instead of the Vostroyan Firstborn, I get the Woodstock Firstborn.
    Suggestions?
    When i've had to highlight warlock purple (The crystal on my fire prism/ farseer cloak/ DIY Marine chapter) I've had to mix up a lighter shade using 2:1(ish) with skull white. Adding more purple or white for balance. I can post a pic of the examples above when i get 10 mins at home if it'll be any help to you?
    Bleed Black Label S.D.M.F's!!

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Purple is an under used colour and so most have little experience with highlighting it. Its one of those colours that is easily manipulated via the introduction of either red or blue (changes the shade). But that's not your question. I shall admit I have never highlighted warlock purple, but I suggest you try my tested method of mixing it with... kommando khaki. Why? Kommando Khaki is a very neutral colour and it does really well in bringing out the lighter shades in colours without either making them too bright or gaudy. It should give you a lighter, but more muted shade. Otherwise, a touch of white with the purple might work well.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I agree khaki or bone white should work good. If it gets too bright for you - you can always even it out with a watered down purple ink glaze.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by 127th Angry Angels View Post
    When i've had to highlight warlock purple (The crystal on my fire prism/ farseer cloak/ DIY Marine chapter) I've had to mix up a lighter shade using 2:1(ish) with skull white. Adding more purple or white for balance. I can post a pic of the examples above when i get 10 mins at home if it'll be any help to you?
    Would love to see pics when your schedule grants you the time.
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about going for a complimentary colour? Would need to see a pic to get a better feel - but what about highlighting with a blue or green? You can always lighten your mid colour and use it for a highlight but sometimes using a completely different colour can be very effective.

Arjay from LOTD is very good at this - for example he used a light pastel yellow to highlight his purple - and I love it!

~*WolfDreamerNZ*~
    Lisa, Hamilton NZ
    Wood Elves / Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfDreamerNZ View Post

Arjay from LOTD is very good at this - for example he used a light pastel yellow to highlight his purple - and I love it!

Wait a minute. . .you're going to tell me that the highlights on that armor were achieved by. . .what. . .dry brushing 'a light pastel yellow' over the purple?! Oh, I so need to take a class in Model Painting for Dummies!
    Thanks for the killer pic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No not exactly - he doesn't drybrush but uses very thin layers. He had a tut on his forum some time ago but then the server died or something and it was lost. But I remember asking him about it and he was discussing using colours opposite to the colour you are trying to highlight or shade - for instance using reds to shade greens, yellows to highlight purples, or using colours next to one another to compliment - like using blues, green and purples together...

Here are a few of my favorite examples:

~*WolfDreamerNZ*~
    Lisa, Hamilton NZ
    Wood Elves / Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Who exactly is this guy? Where can his work now be seen? (And does he make house calls?)8X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast